2009-01-26 13:48:35

by Mark Ryden

Subject: A short question about mesh routing

Hello,
- Mesh routing in Linux implements the hwmp protocol.
- I had delved into the mesh code in the latest git wireless-testing tree.
- The part for on demand routing is implemented via the
mesh_path_start_discovery() and other methods and via
sending/receiving the MPATH_PREQ /MPATH_PREP/MPATH_PERR messages (see
mesh_hwmp.c)

- My question is about proactive routing: First, AFAIK, proactive
routing is mandatory in hwmp (the name hybrid suggests it, proactive
routing and on demand
routing). This technique should proactively build a tree topology.
AFAIK, there should be at least one Portal is present in the network (so
that the tree shall be rooted at that Portal).
However, I could not find the Root Announcement (RANN) message which is needed
proactive routing in the mac80211 stack.

Is proactive routing implemented at all in the mesh code in the Linux kernel?

Regards,
Mark

2009-01-26 23:11:25

by Andrey Yurovsky

Subject: Re: A short question about mesh routing

Hi Mark. The current implementation has the PREQ mechanism and
implements on demand patch selection. The draft indeed specifies that
the routing protocol has both on demand and proactive path selection
and proactive can be implemented using the PREQ mechanism or the RANN
mechanism. The current implementation does not have the RANN
mechanism so perhaps implementing proactive path selection using PREQ
would be a good way to start.

-Andrey