2008-11-10 21:25:48

by Cliff Brake

Subject: wi-fi.org certification with libertas + 8686

Hello,

Has anyone been through wifi certification with the libertas driver
and the 8686 chipset (or any Linux driver + wpa_supplicant for that
matter)? Just trying to get a rough idea how painful this is.

Thanks,
Cliff

--
=======================
Cliff Brake

2008-11-10 21:42:15

by Dan Williams

Subject: Re: wi-fi.org certification with libertas + 8686

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 16:25 -0500, Cliff Brake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone been through wifi certification with the libertas driver
> and the 8686 chipset (or any Linux driver + wpa_supplicant for that
> matter)? Just trying to get a rough idea how painful this is.

Marvell has probably certified their libertas vendor driver (which isn't
the upstream libertas driver). With the possible exceptions of Intel
and Atheros (which are both heavily involved in the upstream drivers for
their hardware), none of the upstream kernel drivers have been through
validation or certification that I know of.

Dan

2008-11-11 07:49:34

by Kalle Valo

Dan Williams <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 16:25 -0500, Cliff Brake wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Has anyone been through wifi certification with the libertas driver
>> and the 8686 chipset (or any Linux driver + wpa_supplicant for that
>> matter)? Just trying to get a rough idea how painful this is.
>
> Marvell has probably certified their libertas vendor driver (which isn't
> the upstream libertas driver). With the possible exceptions of Intel
> and Atheros (which are both heavily involved in the upstream drivers for
> their hardware), none of the upstream kernel drivers have been through
> validation or certification that I know of.

I think Intel mentioned that they have run some Wi-Fi certification
tests with mac80211. Don't know if it were the official certification
or what.

Nokia N800 and N810 are certified, but we had a proprietary driver and
supplicant. The certification is painful, I recommend reserving lots
of time for it.

--
Kalle Valo