2008-04-16 19:48:22

by Marcus Furlong

Subject: RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

<D936D925018D154694D8A362EEB08920043535A1@orsmsx416.amr.corp.intel.com>,
> Chatre, Reinette wrote:
>
>> Looks like the device is being brought up and down a lot ... are you
>> perhaps running wpa_supplicant or some other user application that is
>> doing this? Could you please give more information about what you were
>> doing when these errors started to appear?
>
> Yes, wpa_supplicant is running as part of the boot process. Should I use
> some other application? (Do wireless-tools support WPA?) Or should I just
> load the module on it's own and give the dmesg output from that?

Here is the output from the module loading without wpa_supplicant, then me
reloading it with debug flags, and running ifconfig wlan0 and iwlist
scanning. Still some Microcode SW and FW errors in there, but there's a lot
less noise.

https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/iwl3945-output-no-wpasupplicant.bz2

Marcus.

2008-04-16 21:22:11

by Reinette Chatre

On Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:05 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 20:48 +0100, Marcus Furlong wrote:
>> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 20:01 in
> <[email protected]>, Marcus
>> Furlong wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 19:28 in
>>>

> <[email protected]
tel.com>,

>>> Yes, wpa_supplicant is running as part of the boot process. Should
>>> I use some other application? (Do wireless-tools support WPA?) Or
>>> should I just load the module on it's own and give the dmesg output
>>> from that?
>>
>> Here is the output from the module loading without wpa_supplicant,
>> then me reloading it with debug flags, and running ifconfig wlan0
>> and iwlist scanning. Still some Microcode SW and FW errors in there,
>> but there's a lot less noise.
>>

> https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/iwl3945-output-no-wpasu
> pplicant.bz2
>
> Interesting; can you run wpa_supplicant again but dump it's detailed
> output using "-dddt" for us so we can see what it's doing and if it's
> causing the restarts?

The driver itself is responsible for many of the restarts because of the
firmware errors. A wpa_supplicant log will still be useful.

Could you please give more information about what the system is trying
to do here? In the first log you sent most failures appear to occur when
A band channels are configured ... does this match with what you are
trying to do? Can you explain why the BSSID is all zeroes?

Thanks

Reinette

2008-04-16 20:07:57

by Dan Williams

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 20:48 +0100, Marcus Furlong wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 20:01 in <[email protected]>, Marcus
> Furlong wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 16 April 2008 19:28 in
> >
> <D936D925018D154694D8A362EEB08920043535A1@orsmsx416.amr.corp.intel.com>,
> > Chatre, Reinette wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like the device is being brought up and down a lot ... are you
> >> perhaps running wpa_supplicant or some other user application that is
> >> doing this? Could you please give more information about what you were
> >> doing when these errors started to appear?
> >
> > Yes, wpa_supplicant is running as part of the boot process. Should I use
> > some other application? (Do wireless-tools support WPA?) Or should I just
> > load the module on it's own and give the dmesg output from that?
>
> Here is the output from the module loading without wpa_supplicant, then me
> reloading it with debug flags, and running ifconfig wlan0 and iwlist
> scanning. Still some Microcode SW and FW errors in there, but there's a lot
> less noise.
>
> https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/iwl3945-output-no-wpasupplicant.bz2

Interesting; can you run wpa_supplicant again but dump it's detailed
output using "-dddt" for us so we can see what it's doing and if it's
causing the restarts?

Dan