2008-04-23 13:22:40

by Marcus Furlong

Subject: RE: iwl3945 problem with 2.6.25-rc9

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 00:02 in
<D936D925018D154694D8A362EEB0892004415152@orsmsx416.amr.corp.intel.com>,
Chatre, Reinette wrote:

> On Friday, April 18, 2008 7:33 PM, Marcus Furlong wrote:
>

>> Both dmesg logs here:
>>
>> https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/2.6.25-dmesg-with-patch
>> https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~furlongm/iwlwifi/2.6.25-dmesg-with-patch
>> -disable_hw_scan
>
> This is very strange. Did anything change in your setup since you sent
> the logs that created the debug file named
> "2.6.25-dmesg-wirelesstools-only"? In the above log
> 2.6.25-dmesg-with-patch hardware scanning is indeed being used ... while
> it was not in the previous test runs. Note the debug message
> "iwl3945_mac_hw_scan enter" and "iwl3945_mac_hw_scan leave". This
> message only appears in this log (2.6.25-dmesg-with-patch) and none of
> the others.
> I find it very hard to believe that this patch caused hw scanning to
> work all of a sudden.

Since the first one, I disabled autoloading of the module during boot and
removed the wireless device from the udev startup scripts and added it to a
udev blacklist, so that I could load it manually without unloading first.
So maybe there was something in the startup scripts causing this (i.e. the
option with disable_hw_scan somewhere). I just deleted all related files
to "start cleanly" so I didn't keep a backup that I can check. :( Looks
like the dmesg output doesn't show which options the module was loaded
with, maybe this would be handy in future?

Marcus.