2008-05-06 07:47:06

by Markus Feldmann

Subject: is there support for my Card

Hi All,

i only want to know if there is support in the next stable Kernel
2.6.26 for my Card ?

My Wlan Card is,
<lspci -v>
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5006EG 802.11bg NIC (2.4GHz,
PCI Express)
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at dcff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: ath5k

Regards Markus

2008-05-12 11:45:29

by Pavel Roskin

Subject: Re: is there support for my Card

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 23:28 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> It you want to figure out the exact MAC, I suggest that you load some
> driver that can enable the card, such as the current version of madwifi
> from Subversion. If it works, it's AR5006, otherwise AR5007. There is
> also a special snapshot of madwifi with AR5007 support at

http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/

Look for "ar5007" in the names. Sorry, missed the link.

Pavel Roskin

2008-05-09 05:16:32

by Michael Renzmann

Hi.

Markus Feldmann wrote:
>>> AR5BXB61
>> That's an AR5007-based card
> Are you sure.

Now that I read the name of the card again: no, I'm not sure. I guess I
assumed you might have mistyped the name and meant AR5BXB6*3*. It seems
that AR5BXB61 does exist, too, so what I wrote before might be wrong.

> However on Boot my System shows a W-Lan Card of the Type AR5006EG.

If that information comes from lspci, it might be wrong. If it comes from
ath5k, it's most probably correct. However, you could double-check using
the ath_info tool [1].

Bye, Mike

[1] http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/AthInfo

2008-05-09 11:24:51

by Markus Feldmann

Michael Renzmann schrieb:
> Hi.

>>> That's an AR5007-based card
>> Are you sure.
>
> Now that I read the name of the card again: no, I'm not sure. I guess I
> assumed you might have mistyped the name and meant AR5BXB6*3*. It seems
> that AR5BXB61 does exist, too, so what I wrote before might be wrong.
>
>> However on Boot my System shows a W-Lan Card of the Type AR5006EG.
>
> If that information comes from lspci, it might be wrong. If it comes from
> ath5k, it's most probably correct. However, you could double-check using
> the ath_info tool [1].
I did use the ath_info Tool from the Package 'madwifi-tools' coming with
Debian Lenny. But i do not know the Version Number of ath_info.
The Version of 'madwifi-tools' is '1:0.9.4-rc'.

However i did,
<athmem=`lspci -vd 168c: |sed -n 's/.*Memory at \([^ ]*\).*/0x\1/p'`>
<ath_info $athmem>
Unable to read EEPROM Magic value!

I also tried,
<lspci -vd 168c:>
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5006EG 802.11bg NIC (2.4GHz,
PCI Express)
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at dcff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0
Enable-
Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
Kernel modules: ath5k

So as you can read the Memory is not readable.

I did read the Chipset Number with my Eyes from the Card.
So i think the Number is ok.
Therefore you could be right, that it could be a AR5007-based card.

Further on i watched on the Atheros Manufacture and tried to identify
the Chipset by the Product Picture from my W-Lan Card. It seems to be
the same. My W-Lan Card is green and the Positions of the electronic
Components are at the same Place. The Bus seems to go the same Way,
as on the Product Picture.
The Link to the W-Lan Card Picture is,
http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5006EG.htm

Could this Picture be of a AR2007-based Card ?

Regards Markus

2008-05-12 03:28:15

by Pavel Roskin

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 13:24 +0200, Markus Feldmann wrote:

> I did use the ath_info Tool from the Package 'madwifi-tools' coming with
> Debian Lenny. But i do not know the Version Number of ath_info.
> The Version of 'madwifi-tools' is '1:0.9.4-rc'.
>
> However i did,
> <athmem=`lspci -vd 168c: |sed -n 's/.*Memory at \([^ ]*\).*/0x\1/p'`>
> <ath_info $athmem>
> Unable to read EEPROM Magic value!

It you want to figure out the exact MAC, I suggest that you load some
driver that can enable the card, such as the current version of madwifi
from Subversion. If it works, it's AR5006, otherwise AR5007. There is
also a special snapshot of madwifi with AR5007 support at

If you want to check whether the next kernel will support it, check the
Linux git repository (the one from Linus).

Pavel Roskin

2008-05-07 04:56:20

by Michael Renzmann

Hi.

Markus Feldmann wrote:
>> i only want to know if there is support in the next stable Kernel
>> 2.6.26 for my Card ?
> AR5BXB61

That's an AR5007-based card, for which Nick posted a patch recently [1]. I
don't know whether this patch will make it into 2.6.26. But even if it
does, support for AR5007 is still incomplete, as Nick states: "Add RF2425
initvals (still no rx/tx)". So ath5k might recognize and initialize your
card, but most probably won't work with it.

Bye, Mike

2008-05-07 05:47:37

by Markus Feldmann

Michael Renzmann schrieb:
> Hi.
>
> Markus Feldmann wrote:
>>> i only want to know if there is support in the next stable Kernel
>>> 2.6.26 for my Card ?
>> AR5BXB61
>
> That's an AR5007-based card,
But on Boot my System shows a AR5006 Card. Therfore i think
this is a Bug ?
Could this be ?

Regards Markus

2008-05-08 14:02:58

by Markus Feldmann

Michael Renzmann schrieb:
> Hi.
>
> Markus Feldmann wrote:
>>> i only want to know if there is support in the next stable Kernel
>>> 2.6.26 for my Card ?
>> AR5BXB61
>
> That's an AR5007-based card
Are you sure. It looks like this Card,
http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5006EG.htm

and not like this one,
http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5007EG.htm

However on Boot my System shows a W-Lan Card of the Type AR5006EG.
Is this a Bug ?
Wherefrom do you know that the Card with Chipset 'AR5BXB61' is from the
Type AR5007 ?

Regards Markus

2008-05-06 07:55:04

by Markus Feldmann

Markus Feldmann schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> i only want to know if there is support in the next stable Kernel
> 2.6.26 for my Card ?
>
> My Wlan Card is,
I did forget to write the Chipset i readed directly,
AR5BXB61