2008-08-06 00:46:40

by Forest Bond

Subject: Are these Ralink chips supported?

Hi,

I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
supported:

* RT2770 + RT2720
* RT2571W/RT2571WF

According to http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware#rt2570, the
RT2570 is well supported, but I'm assuming that that doesn't necessarily imply
that the RT2571W[F] chips work.

Anybody know anything about these?

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (443.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by drago01

Subject: Re: Are these Ralink chips supported?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Forest Bond <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:14:10AM +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
>> On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Forest Bond wrote:
>> > I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
>> > supported:
>> >
>> > * RT2770 + RT2720
>>
>> I *think* this is the rt2870 driver. The in-kernel driver is under development
>
> Okay, the RT2870 driver from Ralink works with this device, but it seems to be a
> bit quirky:
>
> * The device has to be brought up and down a few times before NetworkManager
> sees it. I'm not sure what NetworkManager is cueing off of.
>
> * I was unable to get the thing to associate and come up using
> iwconfig/ifconfig. Might have been my range on that AP, though, since I was
> shooting for an unencrypted network that is a not the closest network in my
> building.
>
> * Usual odd bits with vendor drivers like odd build system subtleties and
> seemingly unnecessary configuration files (does anyone really care to fiddle
> with those, or doesn't everyone just want things to work with the standard
> configuration mechanisms like I do?).
>
> Is there an effort to move this driver in-tree? The license is GPL.

Thats what Ivo is doing, port the driver to rt2x00 to make it
acceptable for merging.

2008-08-26 19:14:25

by Forest Bond

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:14:10AM +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Forest Bond wrote:
> > I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
> > supported:
> >
> > * RT2770 + RT2720
>
> I *think* this is the rt2870 driver. The in-kernel driver is under development

Okay, the RT2870 driver from Ralink works with this device, but it seems to be a
bit quirky:

* The device has to be brought up and down a few times before NetworkManager
sees it. I'm not sure what NetworkManager is cueing off of.

* I was unable to get the thing to associate and come up using
iwconfig/ifconfig. Might have been my range on that AP, though, since I was
shooting for an unencrypted network that is a not the closest network in my
building.

* Usual odd bits with vendor drivers like odd build system subtleties and
seemingly unnecessary configuration files (does anyone really care to fiddle
with those, or doesn't everyone just want things to work with the standard
configuration mechanisms like I do?).

Is there an effort to move this driver in-tree? The license is GPL.

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.20 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:18:59PM +0200, drago01 wrote:

> > > Okay, the RT2870 driver from Ralink works with this device, but it seems to be a
> > > bit quirky:
> > >
> > > * The device has to be brought up and down a few times before NetworkManager
> > > sees it. I'm not sure what NetworkManager is cueing off of.
> > >
> > > * I was unable to get the thing to associate and come up using
> > > iwconfig/ifconfig. Might have been my range on that AP, though, since I was
> > > shooting for an unencrypted network that is a not the closest network in my
> > > building.
> > >
> > > * Usual odd bits with vendor drivers like odd build system subtleties and
> > > seemingly unnecessary configuration files (does anyone really care to fiddle
> > > with those, or doesn't everyone just want things to work with the standard
> > > configuration mechanisms like I do?).
> > >
> > > Is there an effort to move this driver in-tree? The license is GPL.
> >
> > Thats what Ivo is doing, port the driver to rt2x00 to make it
> > acceptable for merging.
>
> Okay, sorry if I misunderstood. Is this driver usable and, if so, where can the
> code be found?

I'm still struggling with the RX part. Code can be found at:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=shortlog;h=experimental

Ivo

2008-08-06 03:47:40

by Iwo Mergler

Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
> supported:
>
> * RT2770 + RT2720
> * RT2571W/RT2571WF
>
> According to http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware#rt2570, the
> RT2570 is well supported, but I'm assuming that that doesn't necessarily imply
> that the RT2571W[F] chips work.
>
> Anybody know anything about these?
>
> Thanks,
> Forest
I've got an USB dongle with a RT2571WF baseband chip. It works
with the rt73usb driver.

Kind regards,

Iwo

2008-08-06 16:16:08

by Daniel Gimpelevich

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:14:10 +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Forest Bond wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
>> supported:
>>
>> * RT2770 + RT2720
>
> I *think* this is the rt2870 driver. The in-kernel driver is under
> development

That is indeed rt2800usb. I don't have any rt2800usb hardware myself yet,
but I would like to test rt2800pci when testable code is available. Any
ETA?

2008-08-26 19:25:04

by Forest Bond

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:18:59PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Forest Bond <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I *think* this is the rt2870 driver. The in-kernel driver is under development
> >
> > Okay, the RT2870 driver from Ralink works with this device, but it seems to be a
> > bit quirky:
> >
> > * The device has to be brought up and down a few times before NetworkManager
> > sees it. I'm not sure what NetworkManager is cueing off of.
> >
> > * I was unable to get the thing to associate and come up using
> > iwconfig/ifconfig. Might have been my range on that AP, though, since I was
> > shooting for an unencrypted network that is a not the closest network in my
> > building.
> >
> > * Usual odd bits with vendor drivers like odd build system subtleties and
> > seemingly unnecessary configuration files (does anyone really care to fiddle
> > with those, or doesn't everyone just want things to work with the standard
> > configuration mechanisms like I do?).
> >
> > Is there an effort to move this driver in-tree? The license is GPL.
>
> Thats what Ivo is doing, port the driver to rt2x00 to make it
> acceptable for merging.

Okay, sorry if I misunderstood. Is this driver usable and, if so, where can the
code be found?

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.60 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
> supported:
>
> * RT2770 + RT2720

I *think* this is the rt2870 driver. The in-kernel driver is under development

> * RT2571W/RT2571WF

This is the rt73usb driver

Ivo

2008-08-27 01:20:34

by Dan Williams

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:16 -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:14:10AM +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Forest Bond wrote:
> > > I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
> > > supported:
> > >
> > > * RT2770 + RT2720
> >
> > I *think* this is the rt2870 driver. The in-kernel driver is under development
>
> Okay, the RT2870 driver from Ralink works with this device, but it seems to be a
> bit quirky:
>
> * The device has to be brought up and down a few times before NetworkManager
> sees it. I'm not sure what NetworkManager is cueing off of.

HAL events. If the device doesn't show up in HAL and doesn't have a
network interface with the "net.80211" capability, NM won't see it. A
dump of 'lshal' when you're having the problem would be useful. If that
shows the device correctly, then it might be that the device isn't
responding correctly to an SIOCSIWSCAN or SIOCGIWRANGE command in a
manner which NM is expecting.

Dan

> * I was unable to get the thing to associate and come up using
> iwconfig/ifconfig. Might have been my range on that AP, though, since I was
> shooting for an unencrypted network that is a not the closest network in my
> building.
>
> * Usual odd bits with vendor drivers like odd build system subtleties and
> seemingly unnecessary configuration files (does anyone really care to fiddle
> with those, or doesn't everyone just want things to work with the standard
> configuration mechanisms like I do?).
>
> Is there an effort to move this driver in-tree? The license is GPL.
>
> Thanks,
> Forest

2008-08-06 16:22:49

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:14:10 +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Forest Bond wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm having a hard time figuring out if the following wireless chips are
> >> supported:
> >>
> >> * RT2770 + RT2720
> >
> > I *think* this is the rt2870 driver. The in-kernel driver is under
> > development
>
> That is indeed rt2800usb. I don't have any rt2800usb hardware myself yet,
> but I would like to test rt2800pci when testable code is available. Any
> ETA?

First testable code should be done within a week, but that one is unlikely
to work. I hope to have something "able to send and receive" ready in 2 or
3 weeks.

When the test version is ready I'll send out a notice to linux-wireless with
a link to the patches.

Ivo