2009-01-09 18:02:29

by Markus Feldmann

Subject: show WMI magic Signals and activate hardware RF-kill button

Hi All,

my wlan Button, which should enable/disable my wlan card,
seems not to send signals which i can watch with <showkey>.

Larry Finger asked me:
"Is your radio on/off button one that generates a keycode, or does it
need the WMI magic to be detected?"

I need to get my wlan Button(hardware Rf-kill Button)
to work to still turn my wlan physically on.

What is WMI Magic and are there Linux commands to watch
was is going on?

Regards Markus

2009-01-09 18:05:08

by Markus Feldmann

My actually Sydtem is:
HP Pavilion Laptop zv5000
Debian Lenny(Testing)
Linux Kernel 2.6.28 from kernel.org
Broadcom Wlan card BCM4303

2009-01-09 20:01:18

by Larry Finger

feldmaus wrote:
> Larry Finger schrieb:
>>
>> There is a protocol named WMI for Windows Management Interface. I
>> assume that it was invented by the folks in Redmond. In any case, it
>> is designed to handle events that have buttons that do not generate a
>> keycode. The module named hp-wmi is supposed to take care of the
>> things under Linux for HP and Compaq computers.
>>
>> Did you generate this module? Is it loaded?
> By now, yes.
> hp_wmi 4632 0
> rfkill 9648 4 rfkill_input,hp_wmi,b43legacy
> wmi 6568 1 hp_wmi
>
> But i still do not get any keycode with <showkey>.
> Is there an other program than <showkey> ?
>
> Where i can solve this problem with the wmi code ?

It will never generate a keycode. It uses some other means, which is
why I called it magic.

The module author is Matthew Garrett <[email protected]>, whom I
have cc'd.

Larry

2009-01-09 18:29:30

by Larry Finger

feldmaus wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> my wlan Button, which should enable/disable my wlan card,
> seems not to send signals which i can watch with <showkey>.
>
> Larry Finger asked me:
> "Is your radio on/off button one that generates a keycode, or does it
> need the WMI magic to be detected?"
>
> I need to get my wlan Button(hardware Rf-kill Button)
> to work to still turn my wlan physically on.
>
> What is WMI Magic and are there Linux commands to watch
> was is going on?

There is a protocol named WMI for Windows Management Interface. I
assume that it was invented by the folks in Redmond. In any case, it
is designed to handle events that have buttons that do not generate a
keycode. The module named hp-wmi is supposed to take care of the
things under Linux for HP and Compaq computers.

Did you generate this module? Is it loaded?

I dont use this module on my HP as my RFKILL switch generates a
keycode. Others may be able to help you with it.

Larry

2009-01-09 19:51:38

by Markus Feldmann