2010-09-06 02:20:06

by Michael

Subject: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_status: Warning - TX queue 2 status timed out, invoke forced tx handler

Im trying the latest compat-wireless 2010-09-05 and i am using a RALINK3027
802.11N wireless USB dongle.

I setup the wifi using hostapd in monitor and managed mode for this adapter, and
it sets up an AP ok, but i notice the following message quite frequently.

phy0 -> rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_status: Warning - TX queue 2 status timed out,
invoke forced tx handler

appears very often and greatly interferes with the TX packets and makes the link
unusable.

Could someone tell me if this is being worked on, or if I can help somehow fix
it. Im am a software engineer but don't have much kernel level experience.

Thanks,

Michael

2010-09-06 10:11:37

by Walter Goldens

Is this why the rt307x chips experience considerable amount of packet loss in managed mode, when connected to an AP? With the rt2870sta drivers and a rt3070 device I experience no packet loss whatsoever. When rt2800usb is being utilized, large amount of packet loss occurs between the client and AP as well as duplicate packets.

Walt

> It is being worked on, but it cannot be fully resolved. It
> is
> currently simply a fact
> that the DMA can lockup in the device even the official
> Ralink driver
> has a watchdog
> function which resets the TX queue whenever it detects the
> lockup.
>
> I am currently working on improving the detection, since
> there can be
> a DMA timeout
> and a TX status report timeout. (Where the latter occurs
> much more
> often then the DMA
> timeout). This should decrease the packet loss somewhat,
> but will not
> prevent the
> problems to occur.
>
> Ivo

2010-09-06 08:00:07

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 4:17 AM, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
> Im trying the latest compat-wireless 2010-09-05 and i am using a RALINK3027
> 802.11N wireless USB dongle.
>
> I setup the wifi using hostapd in monitor and managed mode for this adapter, and
> it sets up an AP ok, but i notice the following message quite frequently.
>
> phy0 -> rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_status: Warning - TX queue 2 status timed out,
> invoke forced tx handler
>
> appears very often and greatly interferes with the TX packets and makes the link
> unusable.
>
> Could someone tell me if this is being worked on, or if I can help somehow fix
> it. ?Im am a software engineer but don't have much kernel level experience.

It is being worked on, but it cannot be fully resolved. It is
currently simply a fact
that the DMA can lockup in the device even the official Ralink driver
has a watchdog
function which resets the TX queue whenever it detects the lockup.

I am currently working on improving the detection, since there can be
a DMA timeout
and a TX status report timeout. (Where the latter occurs much more
often then the DMA
timeout). This should decrease the packet loss somewhat, but will not
prevent the
problems to occur.

Ivo

2010-09-06 08:13:02

by Michael

So Ralink have some fundamental bug in their DMA mechanism....Actually I did
notice this DMA issue does occur less frequently than the TX issue. Im happy to
run any tests that are needed to get this code more robust. Thanks. Michael

Ivo Van Doorn <ivdoorn@...> writes:

2010-09-06 10:21:57

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Walter Goldens
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Is this why the rt307x chips experience considerable amount of packet loss ?in managed mode, when connected to an AP? With the rt2870sta drivers and a rt3070 device I experience no packet loss whatsoever. When rt2800usb is being utilized, large amount of packet loss occurs between the client and AP as well as duplicate packets.

Yes those duplicate packets are since a week or 2, but the packet loss
is likely being caused because of this problem.
I am working on reducing the packet loss, without having too much of a
negative impact on TX status reporting.

Ivo