2011-08-29 17:28:14

by Rafał Miłecki

Subject: Looking for BCM43228

I'm looking for 14e4:4359 card which is BCM43228 chipset based.

According to Ubuntu [0] it can be found in Dell's notebooks:
1) Dell Latitude E5420m
2) Dell Latitude E5520m
3) Dell Latitude E6220

Ubuntu user Marc Legris provided a prove this card is really used by
Dell. See any of his launchpad reports for lspci [1] [2] [3].

I've search on ebay and polish similar site, no results so far. Ofc
I'm not interested in buying the whole laptop just for WiFi card. I'll
be contacting Dell in next days to see if they can offer me a card.

However, maybe someone of you have seen this card somewhere else, or
have someone witch this notebook?

[0] http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/pci:4359:14E4-NETWORK
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/linux/+bug/777321
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/777310
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/825297

--
Rafał

2011-08-29 17:57:04

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: Looking for BCM43228

On 08/29/2011 12:37 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 19:28 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> I'm looking for 14e4:4359 card which is BCM43228 chipset based.
>>
>> According to Ubuntu [0] it can be found in Dell's notebooks:
>> 1) Dell Latitude E5420m
>> 2) Dell Latitude E5520m
>> 3) Dell Latitude E6220
>>
>> Ubuntu user Marc Legris provided a prove this card is really used by
>> Dell. See any of his launchpad reports for lspci [1] [2] [3].
>>
>> I've search on ebay and polish similar site, no results so far. Ofc
>> I'm not interested in buying the whole laptop just for WiFi card. I'll
>> be contacting Dell in next days to see if they can offer me a card.
>
> P.S.
> Ofc I've checked this site, but they are offering only modems for
> E6220 and nothing at all for E5420/E5520. I've been searching in

I just sent a query to the vendor offering refurbished BCM943224 cards telling
them that I already have that card, but that I want 2 BCM43228 cards for Linux
driver development. I'll let you know what happens. BTW, one of them would be
for you.

Larry

2011-08-30 17:36:53

by Larry Finger

On 08/30/2011 01:34 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:

> 225 zł at Polish Dell. It's 54,109136 euro according to Google. Not
> cheap :| At least price includes shipping (to the Poland).

I have not had a reply yet on my inquiry. An Ebay message might take 2 days. I
also sent a query to a local computer outfit that I deal with.

A cost of 54 euro does seem a bit pricy.

Larry

2011-08-29 19:02:10

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 20:12 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
<[email protected]> napisał:
> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 19:28 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> I'm looking for 14e4:4359 card which is BCM43228 chipset based.
>>
>> According to Ubuntu [0] it can be found in Dell's notebooks:
>> 1) Dell Latitude E5420m
>> 2) Dell Latitude E5520m
>> 3) Dell Latitude E6220
>>
>> Ubuntu user Marc Legris provided a prove this card is really used by
>> Dell. See any of his launchpad reports for lspci [1] [2] [3].
>>
>> I've search on ebay and polish similar site, no results so far. Ofc
>> I'm not interested in buying the whole laptop just for WiFi card. I'll
>> be contacting Dell in next days to see if they can offer me a card.
>
> I've chatted with Dell employee and have received list of parts they
> have for E5520m and E6220. Some of them are not wifi cards at all,
> some are Intel's one.
>
> Cards that may be interesting to look at: DW1530, DW1501.

DW1501 is 14e4:4727 (BCM4313). DW1530 on the other hand sounds
promising. Not possible to google it connection with "14e4", must be
sth new.

I'll mail Marc, Ubuntu's launchpad reported to ask if he still has
access to this notebook.

--
Rafał

2011-08-29 18:54:19

by Larry Finger

On 08/29/2011 01:12 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 19:28 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> I'm looking for 14e4:4359 card which is BCM43228 chipset based.
>>
>> According to Ubuntu [0] it can be found in Dell's notebooks:
>> 1) Dell Latitude E5420m
>> 2) Dell Latitude E5520m
>> 3) Dell Latitude E6220
>>
>> Ubuntu user Marc Legris provided a prove this card is really used by
>> Dell. See any of his launchpad reports for lspci [1] [2] [3].
>>
>> I've search on ebay and polish similar site, no results so far. Ofc
>> I'm not interested in buying the whole laptop just for WiFi card. I'll
>> be contacting Dell in next days to see if they can offer me a card.
>
> I've chatted with Dell employee and have received list of parts they
> have for E5520m and E6220. Some of them are not wifi cards at all,
> some are Intel's one.
>
> Cards that may be interesting to look at: DW1530, DW1501.

The DW1501 is an 802.11b/g/n card. From what I saw about the BCM43228, it is an
802.11a/b/g/n model.

The site http://tinyurl.com/3mh8kk9 says that the DW1530 has 5 GHz capability.
It is probably what you want, but Ebay doesn't have any.

Larry

2011-08-29 17:37:55

by Rafał Miłecki

<[email protected]> napisał:
> I'm looking for 14e4:4359 card which is BCM43228 chipset based.
>
> According to Ubuntu [0] it can be found in Dell's notebooks:
> 1) Dell Latitude E5420m
> 2) Dell Latitude E5520m
> 3) Dell Latitude E6220
>
> Ubuntu user Marc Legris provided a prove this card is really used by
> Dell. See any of his launchpad reports for lspci [1] [2] [3].
>
> I've search on ebay and polish similar site, no results so far. Ofc
> I'm not interested in buying the whole laptop just for WiFi card. I'll
> be contacting Dell in next days to see if they can offer me a card.

P.S.
Ofc I've checked this site, but they are offering only modems for
E6220 and nothing at all for E5420/E5520. I've been searching in

Rafał

2011-08-29 18:12:17

by Rafał Miłecki

<[email protected]> napisał:
> I'm looking for 14e4:4359 card which is BCM43228 chipset based.
>
> According to Ubuntu [0] it can be found in Dell's notebooks:
> 1) Dell Latitude E5420m
> 2) Dell Latitude E5520m
> 3) Dell Latitude E6220
>
> Ubuntu user Marc Legris provided a prove this card is really used by
> Dell. See any of his launchpad reports for lspci [1] [2] [3].
>
> I've search on ebay and polish similar site, no results so far. Ofc
> I'm not interested in buying the whole laptop just for WiFi card. I'll
> be contacting Dell in next days to see if they can offer me a card.

I've chatted with Dell employee and have received list of parts they
have for E5520m and E6220. Some of them are not wifi cards at all,
some are Intel's one.

Cards that may be interesting to look at: DW1530, DW1501.

--
Rafał

Attachments:
dell.parts.txt (1.57 kB)

2011-08-30 06:34:47

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 23:27 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
<[email protected]> napisał:
> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 21:02 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> I'll mail Marc, Ubuntu's launchpad reported to ask if he still has
>> access to this notebook.
>
> I've just received photo of the card (inside notebook) from Marc. It's
> labeled as DW1530, bingo! :)
>
> I'll ask Dell about prices. Larry: I'm also waiting for you getting
> response, maybe your prices will be lower?

225 zł at Polish Dell. It's 54,109136 euro according to Google. Not
cheap :| At least price includes shipping (to the Poland).

--
Rafał

2011-08-29 21:38:18

by Xose Vazquez Perez

zajec5 wrote:

> DW1501 is 14e4:4727 (BCM4313). DW1530 on the other hand sounds
> promising. Not possible to google it connection with "14e4", must be
> sth new.

from http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt :

BRCM PCI PCI Dell
Product Name Vendor ID Device ID Product ID
-------------- ---------- --------- -----------
[..]
43228 Dualband 0x14e4 0x4359 Dell 1530

2011-08-29 21:27:04

by Rafał Miłecki

<[email protected]> napisał:
> I'll mail Marc, Ubuntu's launchpad reported to ask if he still has
> access to this notebook.

I've just received photo of the card (inside notebook) from Marc. It's
labeled as DW1530, bingo! :)

I'll ask Dell about prices. Larry: I'm also waiting for you getting
response, maybe your prices will be lower?

--
Rafał

2011-09-03 19:39:07

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 3 września 2011 00:04 użytkownik Larry Finger
<[email protected]> napisał:
> On 08/29/2011 04:27 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>
>> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 21:02 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
>> <[email protected]>  napisał:
>>>
>>> I'll mail Marc, Ubuntu's launchpad reported to ask if he still has
>>> access to this notebook.
>>
>> I've just received photo of the card (inside notebook) from Marc. It's
>> labeled as DW1530, bingo! :)
>>
>> I'll ask Dell about prices. Larry: I'm also waiting for you getting
>> response, maybe your prices will be lower?
>
> I got no answer from that first vendor. I just sent another message to a
> different vendor. I found the device on a parts list for some government
> organization in Ohio that listed the Dell Part Number (430-3960) and a price
> of 12.15 USD. Too bad I couldn't purchase there.

It seems Dell can be the only choice for us. I've asked Marc for
checking details of that card. I asked him to try bcma&b43 or get MMIO
dump with wl. That will make us sure what's PHY hidden inside of that
card.

I've already bought once a card (BCM43225) in hope it'll contain PHY
different that card I already have (BCM43224). That cards seem to have
exactly the same PHY.

--
Rafał

2011-09-06 14:24:13

by Pavel Roskin

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:39:06 +0200
Rafał Miłecki <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems Dell can be the only choice for us. I've asked Marc for
> checking details of that card. I asked him to try bcma&b43 or get MMIO
> dump with wl. That will make us sure what's PHY hidden inside of that
> card.
>
> I've already bought once a card (BCM43225) in hope it'll contain PHY
> different that card I already have (BCM43224). That cards seem to have
> exactly the same PHY.

By the way, there is some money in the b43 fund at
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/donations

I hope it can be used to compensate the expenses.

Pavel Roskin

2011-09-02 22:04:51

by Larry Finger

On 08/29/2011 04:27 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 21:02 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> I'll mail Marc, Ubuntu's launchpad reported to ask if he still has
>> access to this notebook.
>
> I've just received photo of the card (inside notebook) from Marc. It's
> labeled as DW1530, bingo! :)
>
> I'll ask Dell about prices. Larry: I'm also waiting for you getting
> response, maybe your prices will be lower?

I got no answer from that first vendor. I just sent another message to a
different vendor. I found the device on a parts list for some government
organization in Ohio that listed the Dell Part Number (430-3960) and a price of
12.15 USD. Too bad I couldn't purchase there.

Larry

2011-09-06 23:47:21

by Pavel Roskin

Quoting Larry Finger <[email protected]>:

> On 09/06/2011 09:24 AM, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:39:06 +0200
>>
>> By the way, there is some money in the b43 fund at
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/donations
>>
>> I hope it can be used to compensate the expenses.
>
> It certainly should cover Rafał's expenses. Anyone know who is
> controlling that account?

That would be Stefano Brivio.

Pavel Roskin

2011-09-06 21:43:59

by Larry Finger

On 09/06/2011 09:24 AM, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:39:06 +0200
>
> By the way, there is some money in the b43 fund at
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/donations
>
> I hope it can be used to compensate the expenses.

It certainly should cover Rafał's expenses. Anyone know who is controlling that
account?

Larry

2011-09-07 17:21:44

by Michael Büsch

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:43:55 -0500
Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 09/06/2011 09:24 AM, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:39:06 +0200
> >
> > By the way, there is some money in the b43 fund at
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/donations
> >
> > I hope it can be used to compensate the expenses.
>
> It certainly should cover Rafał's expenses. Anyone know who is controlling that
> account?

Stefano Brivio is. However, he seems to have disappeared for quite some time.
I think he even unsubscribed from the list several months ago.

--
Greetings, Michael.

2011-11-27 15:57:19

<[email protected]> napisał:
> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 21:02 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> I'll mail Marc, Ubuntu's launchpad reported to ask if he still has
>> access to this notebook.
>
> I've just received photo of the card (inside notebook) from Marc. It's
> labeled as DW1530, bingo! :)
>
> I'll ask Dell about prices. Larry: I'm also waiting for you getting
> response, maybe your prices will be lower?

You can buy one if you want :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm//180755618575

--
Rafał

2011-11-27 16:49:33

by Larry Finger

On 11/27/2011 09:57 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 23:27 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> W dniu 29 sierpnia 2011 21:02 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
>> <[email protected]> napisał:
>>> I'll mail Marc, Ubuntu's launchpad reported to ask if he still has
>>> access to this notebook.
>>
>> I've just received photo of the card (inside notebook) from Marc. It's
>> labeled as DW1530, bingo! :)
>>
>> I'll ask Dell about prices. Larry: I'm also waiting for you getting
>> response, maybe your prices will be lower?
>
> You can buy one if you want :)
> http://www.ebay.com/itm//180755618575

Thanks for the link. I have one coming.

Larry

2012-05-15 13:40:06

by John Frankish

Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@...> writes:

> I'm looking for 14e4:4359 card which is BCM43228 chipset based.

This is the Dell DW1530 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card.

It looks like it should work with the latest wl driver and/or
ndiswrapper-1.58rc1, in my Dell E6220, but it doesn't...