2014-08-02 23:35:06

by Manuel Reimer

Subject: Problems with rtl8192cu driver (disassociated from ... (Reason: 2))

Hello,

I'm trying to get access to a WLAN access point using the following adapter:

<http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un>

I've used "NetworkManager" to connect to the access point and everything
seemed to work well at first.

But after a few minutes the connection is lost with the following
message in dmesg:

wlan0: disassociated from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Reason: 2)

If I restart NetworkManager, then the connection works again, but only
for a few minutes before I get another disconnect.

I even tried to do a permanent ping to a server on the Internet (to have
permanent traffic) but this doesn't change anything. I still get
disconnected with "Reason 2".

Are there known problems with the rtl8192cu driver?

Can someone here recommend a small USB WLAN adapter which is known to
work without problems?

Thank you very much in advance.

Greetings

Manuel

2014-08-03 15:02:31

by Manuel Reimer

On 08/03/2014 02:13 PM, Steve Brown wrote:
> I had a similar problem with this driver.

Thank you very much for this feedback.

Searching for 'rtl8192cu "Reason 2"' on the net reveals more cases for
such problems. For example:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/15342
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1220007

So in other words: Seems like rtl8192cu driver is broken.

And as I am unable to fix it, I'll have to try to find a WLAN interface
with better Linux support.

> After a while, the aggregation
> session seems to hang. If I connect as b/g, no problem. If I disable
> aggregation by patching the driver, again the problem goes away.

What exactly is "b/g"?

Greetings,

Manuel

2014-08-03 12:13:59

by Steve Brown

On Sun, 2014-08-03 at 01:29 +0200, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get access to a WLAN access point using the following adapter:
>
> <http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un>
>
> I've used "NetworkManager" to connect to the access point and everything
> seemed to work well at first.
>
> But after a few minutes the connection is lost with the following
> message in dmesg:
>
> wlan0: disassociated from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (Reason: 2)
>
> If I restart NetworkManager, then the connection works again, but only
> for a few minutes before I get another disconnect.
>
> I even tried to do a permanent ping to a server on the Internet (to have
> permanent traffic) but this doesn't change anything. I still get
> disconnected with "Reason 2".
>
> Are there known problems with the rtl8192cu driver?
>
> Can someone here recommend a small USB WLAN adapter which is known to
> work without problems?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Greetings
>
> Manuel

I had a similar problem with this driver. After a while, the aggregation
session seems to hang. If I connect as b/g, no problem. If I disable
aggregation by patching the driver, again the problem goes away.

That's as far as I got.

Steve

2014-08-03 15:21:41

by Steve Brown

On Sun, 2014-08-03 at 17:02 +0200, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> On 08/03/2014 02:13 PM, Steve Brown wrote:
> > I had a similar problem with this driver.
>
> Thank you very much for this feedback.
>
> Searching for 'rtl8192cu "Reason 2"' on the net reveals more cases for
> such problems. For example:
>
> https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/15342
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1220007

> What exactly is "b/g"?

I was referring to the 802.11b and 802.11g IEEE lan standards.