2009-01-13 12:09:16

by tsr

Subject: Marvell 88w8385 Support

Hi,

I have a FSG-3 that includes a Marvell 88w8385 card. I wonder if there
is support for it in recent kernels. According to
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123178916308198&w=2 (search for
8385) there seems to be support but I don't want to start messing around
with kernels and stuff without being sure.

(I'm quite new to actually trying to make things work that don't work
out of the box, so please have that in mind)

/tsr

2009-01-14 17:14:30

by John Daiker

Subject: Re: Marvell 88w8385 Support

On 01/14/2009 08:47 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 09:52 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:09:12PM +0100, tsr wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a FSG-3 that includes a Marvell 88w8385 card. I wonder if there
>>> is support for it in recent kernels. According to
>>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123178916308198&w=2 (search for
>>> 8385) there seems to be support but I don't want to start messing around
>>> with kernels and stuff without being sure.
>>>
>> That driver is for SDIO hardware. It looks like your FSG-3 has
>> mini-PCI? Either way, we don't have a driver merged yet that would
>> cover your hardware.
>>

> Looks like it's a CB35, which is actually an 88w8335 MiniPCI card.
> Would be supported by the mwl8k driver ideally. I've started on trying
> to add support to mwl8k for the 8335 parts, but we'll need to split the
> driver so that we can create IO hooks for the different parts. It'll be
> a bit, but we'll get there.
>
> Dan

Very interested in the progress of 8335 support at some point. My
Netgear wg311v3 is sitting on my desk... waiting for some Linux bits to
get it running!

I can assist in testing whenever bits become available ( officially or
unofficially, hint, hint! :-P )

Thanks for the hard work, and keep them bits a comin'

JD

2009-01-19 09:01:13

by Holger Schurig

> (I'm an extremely unexperienced kernel-user, that means I
> dread compiling one myself, but I think that with some help or
> a nice config.gz I will manage. Also I'm really eager to get
> this working so I will take some chances if that is of any
> help.)

Hehe, some years ago (maybe 15 or so...) the same was true for
me. But it doesn't need to stay that way. I've you like learning
new things, trying things out and if you are a bit
self-educating, you can gain enought knowledge to do kernel
work. It's not dark magic, it's usually just C programming,
albeit in a special environment without #include <stdio.h> :-)

2009-01-17 16:20:59

by tsr

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 13:57 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

>>> Thanks for the info, I've found something that is said to be a working
>>> drivers for 'my' card in this package:
>>> http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/downloads/MSSII_3.1.2.src.tgz
>>>
>>> The kernel source says it's some kind of 2.6 kernel, grepping for it I
>>> found the highest number to be 2.6.14 so maybe it is possible to use
>>> something from it.
>>>
>>> AFAIK it's also GPL.
>> Wow, that is the right driver... haven't seen a driver for the 8335
>> before, but there it is, and it's GPL too. Got the firmware too, which
>> I also haven't seen separately.
>>
>> The path forward with this is to port the support for the hardware over
>> to mwl8k since the firmware interface is almost the same.
>>
>> That said, the only reason I chose that as the path forward was that we
>> couldn't make any progress with the standalone driver, and figured that
>> Marvell's driver would actually work where mrv8k didn't. I still think
>> it makes sense to use the same driver core for both but if that turns
>> out to be too hard, we can just do a mac80211 port for this.
>
> As a follow-up... the driver source contained in that tarball compiles
> after a few trivial changes to update net80211 and hardware parts to the
> latest kernel. However, the firmware does not successfully load. It
> appears that the firmware load procedure for the MSSII driver is a
> one-stage firmware load that probably depends on a minimal bootloader on
> firmware of the card, or something like that. In any case, it doesn't
> work.
>
> I spent some time porting over the firmware loading from mrv8k (which is
> known to work), and got as far as successful boot and main firmware
> load, but I'm not having a ton of success getting the card to actually
> boot the main firmware. More poking required. If the MSSII driver can
> actually *drive* 8335 cards, then we can use that as a reference for
> hardware/firmware API when adding support for 8335 to mwl8k.
>
> Dan

Ok, cool, both good and bad news. Is there anything I can do to help out?

(I'm an extremely unexperienced kernel-user, that means I dread
compiling one myself, but I think that with some help or a nice
config.gz I will manage. Also I'm really eager to get this working so I
will take some chances if that is of any help.)

/tsr

2009-01-17 22:59:29

by tsr

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 13:57 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

>>> Thanks for the info, I've found something that is said to be a working
>>> drivers for 'my' card in this package:
>>> http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/downloads/MSSII_3.1.2.src.tgz
>>>
>>> The kernel source says it's some kind of 2.6 kernel, grepping for it I
>>> found the highest number to be 2.6.14 so maybe it is possible to use
>>> something from it.
>>>
>>> AFAIK it's also GPL.
>> Wow, that is the right driver... haven't seen a driver for the 8335
>> before, but there it is, and it's GPL too. Got the firmware too, which
>> I also haven't seen separately.
>>
>> The path forward with this is to port the support for the hardware over
>> to mwl8k since the firmware interface is almost the same.
>>
>> That said, the only reason I chose that as the path forward was that we
>> couldn't make any progress with the standalone driver, and figured that
>> Marvell's driver would actually work where mrv8k didn't. I still think
>> it makes sense to use the same driver core for both but if that turns
>> out to be too hard, we can just do a mac80211 port for this.
>
> As a follow-up... the driver source contained in that tarball compiles
> after a few trivial changes to update net80211 and hardware parts to the
> latest kernel. However, the firmware does not successfully load. It
> appears that the firmware load procedure for the MSSII driver is a
> one-stage firmware load that probably depends on a minimal bootloader on
> firmware of the card, or something like that. In any case, it doesn't
> work.
>
> I spent some time porting over the firmware loading from mrv8k (which is
> known to work), and got as far as successful boot and main firmware
> load, but I'm not having a ton of success getting the card to actually
> boot the main firmware. More poking required. If the MSSII driver can
> actually *drive* 8335 cards, then we can use that as a reference for
> hardware/firmware API when adding support for 8335 to mwl8k.
>
> Dan

Ok, so both good and bad news I guess (for me the good news is that work
is being done ;)

Is there anything I can do to help, with regards to testing, etc? I'm
extremely unexperienced with kernels, but with some help I will dare to
compile my own.

/tsr

2009-01-14 18:35:38

by tsr

John Daiker wrote:
> On 01/14/2009 08:47 AM, Dan Williams wrote:

>>> That driver is for SDIO hardware. It looks like your FSG-3 has
>>> mini-PCI? Either way, we don't have a driver merged yet that would
>>> cover your hardware.
>>>

>> Looks like it's a CB35, which is actually an 88w8335 MiniPCI card.
>> Would be supported by the mwl8k driver ideally. I've started on trying
>> to add support to mwl8k for the 8335 parts, but we'll need to split the
>> driver so that we can create IO hooks for the different parts. It'll be
>> a bit, but we'll get there.
>>
>> Dan
>>
> Very interested in the progress of 8335 support at some point. My
> Netgear wg311v3 is sitting on my desk... waiting for some Linux bits to
> get it running!
>
> I can assist in testing whenever bits become available ( officially or
> unofficially, hint, hint! :-P )
>
> Thanks for the hard work, and keep them bits a comin'
>
> JD

Thanks for the info, I've found something that is said to be a working
drivers for 'my' card in this package:
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/downloads/MSSII_3.1.2.src.tgz

The kernel source says it's some kind of 2.6 kernel, grepping for it I
found the highest number to be 2.6.14 so maybe it is possible to use
something from it.

AFAIK it's also GPL.

/tsr

2009-01-14 16:48:53

by Dan Williams

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 09:52 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:09:12PM +0100, tsr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a FSG-3 that includes a Marvell 88w8385 card. I wonder if there
> > is support for it in recent kernels. According to
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123178916308198&w=2 (search for
> > 8385) there seems to be support but I don't want to start messing around
> > with kernels and stuff without being sure.
>
> That driver is for SDIO hardware. It looks like your FSG-3 has
> mini-PCI? Either way, we don't have a driver merged yet that would
> cover your hardware.

Looks like it's a CB35, which is actually an 88w8335 MiniPCI card.
Would be supported by the mwl8k driver ideally. I've started on trying
to add support to mwl8k for the 8335 parts, but we'll need to split the
driver so that we can create IO hooks for the different parts. It'll be
a bit, but we'll get there.

Dan

2009-01-16 17:37:55

by Dan Williams

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 13:57 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 19:35 +0100, tsr wrote:
> > John Daiker wrote:

> > > Very interested in the progress of 8335 support at some point. My
> > > Netgear wg311v3 is sitting on my desk... waiting for some Linux bits to
> > > get it running!
> > >
> > > I can assist in testing whenever bits become available ( officially or
> > > unofficially, hint, hint! :-P )
> > >
> > > Thanks for the hard work, and keep them bits a comin'
> > >
> > > JD
> > >

> > Thanks for the info, I've found something that is said to be a working
> > drivers for 'my' card in this package:
> > http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/downloads/MSSII_3.1.2.src.tgz
> >
> > The kernel source says it's some kind of 2.6 kernel, grepping for it I
> > found the highest number to be 2.6.14 so maybe it is possible to use
> > something from it.
> >
> > AFAIK it's also GPL.
>
> Wow, that is the right driver... haven't seen a driver for the 8335
> before, but there it is, and it's GPL too. Got the firmware too, which
> I also haven't seen separately.
>
> The path forward with this is to port the support for the hardware over
> to mwl8k since the firmware interface is almost the same.
>
> That said, the only reason I chose that as the path forward was that we
> couldn't make any progress with the standalone driver, and figured that
> Marvell's driver would actually work where mrv8k didn't. I still think
> it makes sense to use the same driver core for both but if that turns
> out to be too hard, we can just do a mac80211 port for this.

As a follow-up... the driver source contained in that tarball compiles
after a few trivial changes to update net80211 and hardware parts to the
latest kernel. However, the firmware does not successfully load. It
appears that the firmware load procedure for the MSSII driver is a
one-stage firmware load that probably depends on a minimal bootloader on
firmware of the card, or something like that. In any case, it doesn't
work.

I spent some time porting over the firmware loading from mrv8k (which is
known to work), and got as far as successful boot and main firmware
load, but I'm not having a ton of success getting the card to actually
boot the main firmware. More poking required. If the MSSII driver can
actually *drive* 8335 cards, then we can use that as a reference for
hardware/firmware API when adding support for 8335 to mwl8k.

Dan

2009-01-13 15:00:43

by John W. Linville

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:09:12PM +0100, tsr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a FSG-3 that includes a Marvell 88w8385 card. I wonder if there
> is support for it in recent kernels. According to
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123178916308198&w=2 (search for
> 8385) there seems to be support but I don't want to start messing around
> with kernels and stuff without being sure.

That driver is for SDIO hardware. It looks like your FSG-3 has
mini-PCI? Either way, we don't have a driver merged yet that would
cover your hardware.

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2009-01-14 18:59:09

by Dan Williams

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 19:35 +0100, tsr wrote:
> John Daiker wrote:

> >> Looks like it's a CB35, which is actually an 88w8335 MiniPCI card.
> >> Would be supported by the mwl8k driver ideally. I've started on trying
> >> to add support to mwl8k for the 8335 parts, but we'll need to split the
> >> driver so that we can create IO hooks for the different parts. It'll be
> >> a bit, but we'll get there.
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>
> > Very interested in the progress of 8335 support at some point. My
> > Netgear wg311v3 is sitting on my desk... waiting for some Linux bits to
> > get it running!
> >
> > I can assist in testing whenever bits become available ( officially or
> > unofficially, hint, hint! :-P )
> >
> > Thanks for the hard work, and keep them bits a comin'
> >
> > JD
> >

> Thanks for the info, I've found something that is said to be a working
> drivers for 'my' card in this package:
> http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/downloads/MSSII_3.1.2.src.tgz
>
> The kernel source says it's some kind of 2.6 kernel, grepping for it I
> found the highest number to be 2.6.14 so maybe it is possible to use
> something from it.
>
> AFAIK it's also GPL.

Wow, that is the right driver... haven't seen a driver for the 8335
before, but there it is, and it's GPL too. Got the firmware too, which
I also haven't seen separately.

The path forward with this is to port the support for the hardware over
to mwl8k since the firmware interface is almost the same.

That said, the only reason I chose that as the path forward was that we
couldn't make any progress with the standalone driver, and figured that
Marvell's driver would actually work where mrv8k didn't. I still think
it makes sense to use the same driver core for both but if that turns
out to be too hard, we can just do a mac80211 port for this.

Dan

2009-11-04 22:35:49

by Julian Calaby

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 07:34, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 16:29 +0100, Holger Schurig wrote:
>> > From what I can tell there was a patch (referenced here:
>> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123782768023390&w=2) to fix this
>> > but I also get indications that this is not the case since there is both
>> > a USB and miniPCI version of the 88w8385.
>>
>> This patch is only for the CF/PCMCIA versions of this those chips.
>>
>> There is no if_pci.c yet inside drivers/net/wireless/libertas/, if you
>> are certain you've a PCI card you're welcome to write one, should be
>> pretty easy. You can get help by looking at the other if_*.c files for
>> other physical interfaces.
>>

>> > You write something
>> > (http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=124334594302472&w=2) that is
>> > cryptic to me.
>>
>> Can you elaborate? ?What exactly here is cryptic?
>>
>> CF/SDIO/GSPO/USB ?
>> 8015/8385 ?
>>

>> > Also searching the kernel gittree I found
>> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c;h=06a46d7b3d6c2460aecd793d2827033c7c0348f6;hb=cadeba315cc91ae1b57632e61b0cec3a4ed7088d
>> > which seems to include a driver for the miniPCI libertas 88w8385.
>>
>> No, if_spi.c is an indicator that this is ?for an SPI or GSPI.
>>
>> There's to my knowledge no such thing as a PCI-based Marvell 8385
>> chip/card/whatever.
>
> I'm fairly sure 8385 is only CF and SDIO.
>
> Perhaps he means 8335 instead? ?That was available in both USB and PCI,
> but it's a softmac part that doesn't have mwl8k support yet afaik.

Looking through the first half of this thread, he does seem to mean that.

You mentioned that you were working on building support for 8335s into
mwl8k, have you made any progress?

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2009-11-04 13:06:22

by tsr

Hi,

So, once again, I try to get my FSG-3 up and running with Debian and I
wonder how thing went with this.

>From what I can tell there was a patch (referenced here:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123782768023390&w=2) to fix this
but I also get indications that this is not the case since there is both
a USB and miniPCI version of the 88w8385.

You write something
(http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=124334594302472&w=2) that is
cryptic to me.

Also searching the kernel gittree I found
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c;h=06a46d7b3d6c2460aecd793d2827033c7c0348f6;hb=cadeba315cc91ae1b57632e61b0cec3a4ed7088d
which seems to include a driver for the miniPCI libertas 88w8385.

Could you please enlighten me?

Also CC:ing Tomasz Chmielewski since he expressed interest in this too.

Hopefully,
Tomas

Dan Williams escribi?:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 19:35 +0100, tsr wrote:
>> John Daiker wrote:

>>> Very interested in the progress of 8335 support at some point. My
>>> Netgear wg311v3 is sitting on my desk... waiting for some Linux bits to
>>> get it running!
>>>
>>> I can assist in testing whenever bits become available ( officially or
>>> unofficially, hint, hint! :-P )
>>>
>>> Thanks for the hard work, and keep them bits a comin'
>>>
>>> JD
>>>
>> Thanks for the info, I've found something that is said to be a working
>> drivers for 'my' card in this package:
>> http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/downloads/MSSII_3.1.2.src.tgz
>>
>> The kernel source says it's some kind of 2.6 kernel, grepping for it I
>> found the highest number to be 2.6.14 so maybe it is possible to use
>> something from it.
>>
>> AFAIK it's also GPL.
>
> Wow, that is the right driver... haven't seen a driver for the 8335
> before, but there it is, and it's GPL too. Got the firmware too, which
> I also haven't seen separately.
>
> The path forward with this is to port the support for the hardware over
> to mwl8k since the firmware interface is almost the same.
>
> That said, the only reason I chose that as the path forward was that we
> couldn't make any progress with the standalone driver, and figured that
> Marvell's driver would actually work where mrv8k didn't. I still think
> it makes sense to use the same driver core for both but if that turns
> out to be too hard, we can just do a mac80211 port for this.
>
> Dan

2009-11-04 14:28:51

by Holger Schurig

> From what I can tell there was a patch (referenced here:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123782768023390&w=2) to fix this
> but I also get indications that this is not the case since there is both
> a USB and miniPCI version of the 88w8385.

This patch is only for the CF/PCMCIA versions of this those chips.

There is no if_pci.c yet inside drivers/net/wireless/libertas/, if you
are certain you've a PCI card you're welcome to write one, should be
pretty easy. You can get help by looking at the other if_*.c files for
other physical interfaces.

> You write something
> (http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=124334594302472&w=2) that is
> cryptic to me.

Can you elaborate? What exactly here is cryptic?

CF/SDIO/GSPO/USB ?
8015/8385 ?

> Also searching the kernel gittree I found
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c;h=06a46d7b3d6c2460aecd793d2827033c7c0348f6;hb=cadeba315cc91ae1b57632e61b0cec3a4ed7088d
> which seems to include a driver for the miniPCI libertas 88w8385.

No, if_spi.c is an indicator that this is for an SPI or GSPI.

There's to my knowledge no such thing as a PCI-based Marvell 8385
chip/card/whatever.

There is, however, some support for other Marvel 8xxx PCI-based cards
in linux, see drivers/net/wireless/mwl8k.c.

2009-11-04 20:34:57

by Dan Williams