2009-07-16 08:02:30

by Jon Fairbairn

Subject: PCI express card that does AP mode? (abit wlp-01?)

A machine I want to set up as an AP has only PCI express slots free...

I've tried looking at the wiki, but I can't easily find an inexpensive
pci express card that will do AP mode. It's the usual problem: shops
don't say what the PCI ids of the device are, and the quoted
manufacturer isn't the manufacturer in the sense needed by the kernel.

I've seen adverts for the Abit WLP-01, and elsewhere on the net seen
implications that it's 168c:001c, which isn't listed at
<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/PCI>, but
<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k> does list it and
says AP mode not working, but mentions
<http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility/Abit>, which suggest AP
mode works with madwifi. What's the current status?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a card?

--
Jón Fairbairn [email protected]

2009-07-16 16:15:20

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Re: PCI express card that does AP mode? (abit wlp-01?)

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Jon
Fairbairn<[email protected]> wrote:

> A machine I want to set up as an AP has only PCI express slots free...

I'd recommend ath9k.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

Luis

2009-07-16 16:36:58

by Pavel Roskin

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 09:02 +0100, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

> I've seen adverts for the Abit WLP-01, and elsewhere on the net seen
> implications that it's 168c:001c, which isn't listed at
> <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/PCI>, but
> <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath5k> does list it and
> says AP mode not working, but mentions
> <http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility/Abit>, which suggest AP
> mode works with madwifi. What's the current status?

ath5k will support the AP mode in Linux 2.6.31. It's already in Linux
2.6.31-rc3.

Pavel Roskin