2009-07-24 16:16:53

by Jon Fairbairn

Subject: Re: PCI express card that does AP mode? (abit wlp-01?)

Johannes Berg <[email protected]> writes:
> I also added a short overview over the form factors on the page:
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/PCI.

That's really good!

(In the "asking for the moon on a stick" department, it would be handy
to have a table somewhere with "supported features" and "form factor"
dropdowns, so that I could have selected "AP" and "PCIe" and get the
card I now have ;-)

--
Jón Fairbairn [email protected]

2009-07-24 16:24:37

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 17:16 +0100, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> Johannes Berg <[email protected]> writes:
> > I also added a short overview over the form factors on the page:
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/PCI.
>
> That's really good!

And quick too, thanks Pavel!

> (In the "asking for the moon on a stick" department, it would be handy
> to have a table somewhere with "supported features" and "form factor"
> dropdowns, so that I could have selected "AP" and "PCIe" and get the
> card I now have ;-)

I wondered about that, but the list really gets too wide, and it's
really a driver rather than device property whether it supports AP or
not.

Then of course, there's also band/11n streams/... information that you
might want.

I'm starting to think we should remove all the numbers (pci vendor,
product, subvendor, subsystem) in favour of more interesting information
like that.

However, as far as AP is concerned, how about we just add a little help
text that explains that you should look on the Drivers page to see
whether it supports what you need, and then select by driver? We could
make the driver table better to allow filtering.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (801.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part