2016-11-03 20:43:48

by Avery Pennarun

Subject: Avery's notes from LPC2016 wireless track (Santa Fe)

Hi all,

We talked about many topics at the Linux Plumbers' Conference in Santa
Fe on Tuesday. I took fairly detailed notes, which you can find at
the links below.

Fancy html commentable version:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cr2bEf23wLkhiXXtyuBJtvvpb9xvCw7zsU-m1q1g4tA/edit

Less fancy version that (I think) will not ask for a Google account
(let me know if it gives you trouble):
https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vQXbVQ-3zQt3Bcr3OWfwzbw_C49tTvf0ed8Hmf7b20E6tXc3a40tWZmPku49iGDE-OhgxNmO_lkkHEn/pub

Thanks, everyone, for the great discussion!

Have fun,

Avery

2016-11-04 02:02:11

by Avery Pennarun

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Kathy Giori <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Avery Pennarun <[email protected]> wrote:
>> We talked about many topics at the Linux Plumbers' Conference in Santa
>> Fe on Tuesday. I took fairly detailed notes, which you can find at
>> the links below.
>
> Great notes Avery. Did you happen to take note of how many
> participants there were? Or was the attendee list posted on the wiki
> beforehand fairly accurate?
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/summits/santa-fe-2016

There were quite a few people not on the list. Google sent an
extra-large contingent last year. People estimated about 50% of the
wireless meeting were Googlers, which comes to maybe 15 out of around
30-ish. Google is doing a lot of (sometimes redundant :)) wireless
work lately.

> Was there any talk about having more frequent "live" discussions of
> these topics (via video conf or conf call or scheduled IRC), to help
> overall collaboration without having to wait for the next f2f summit?
> Mailing list interaction doesn't seem to elicit the same energy as
> occurs over live dialog. Quarterly?

It didn't come up. Honestly, it feels to me like 6 months is the
right cadence. A lot of work does happen in the background, such as
the fq_codel work (yay!) which was definitely launched by one or two
of these, but proceeded well afterwards.

Hope you're doing well at whatever you're doing now!

Have fun,

Avery

2016-11-03 23:55:38

by Kathy Giori

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Avery Pennarun <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We talked about many topics at the Linux Plumbers' Conference in Santa
> Fe on Tuesday. I took fairly detailed notes, which you can find at
> the links below.

Great notes Avery. Did you happen to take note of how many
participants there were? Or was the attendee list posted on the wiki
beforehand fairly accurate?
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/summits/santa-fe-2016

Was there any talk about having more frequent "live" discussions of
these topics (via video conf or conf call or scheduled IRC), to help
overall collaboration without having to wait for the next f2f summit?
Mailing list interaction doesn't seem to elicit the same energy as
occurs over live dialog. Quarterly?

kathy

2016-11-04 01:59:50

by Avery Pennarun

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Barry Day <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for that. Can I take this as meaning there won't be any videos?
> I would like to have seen Jes Sorensen's talk on rtl8xxxu

As far as I know, no talks at this LPC were recorded.

2016-11-15 15:16:31

by Jes Sorensen

Avery Pennarun <[email protected]> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Barry Day <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thanks for that. Can I take this as meaning there won't be any videos?
>> I would like to have seen Jes Sorensen's talk on rtl8xxxu
>
> As far as I know, no talks at this LPC were recorded.

They weren't but my slides should be available from the Plumbers site.

https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ocw/proposals/4089

Cheers,
Jes

2016-11-03 22:03:17

by Barry Day

Thanks for that. Can I take this as meaning there won't be any videos?
I would like to have seen Jes Sorensen's talk on rtl8xxxu

Barry