2016-09-19 19:50:21

by Franc[e]sco

Subject: RTL8192EU on rtl8xxxu driver breaks every few minutes

Hi, I happen to own a RTL8192EU WiFi dongle which is marked as untested
by the rtl8xxxu driver.

I'm on a linux from scratch system using kernel 4.7.3 and wpa_supplicant
2.5.

The dongle appears to connect and work fine, but after around 10 minutes
it deauthenticates and enters and endless loop of authentication
timeout. This continues even if I bring the interface down and back up
again. The only way to restore the connection is to physically remove
and re-plug the usb dongle.

I have attached a dmesg log of connecting and entering the auth loop.

Attachments:
rtl8192eu-dmesg (6.10 kB)

2016-09-21 17:45:38

by Franc[e]sco

Oops, forgot to forward the previous reply to the mailing list.

I have attached the output of iw link

the AP is an asus dsl-n55u router in 2.4 GHz mode, using WPA2-Personal
with AES encryption. It's also running a second 5GHz wireless network
which has a different SSID.

Also, this seems to be some kind of power saving kicking in, as the dongle keeps working as long as I keep doing things over ssh.

On 09/20/2016 10:12 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> "Franc[e]sco" <[email protected]> writes:
>> Hi, I happen to own a RTL8192EU WiFi dongle which is marked as untested
>> by the rtl8xxxu driver.
>>
>> I'm on a linux from scratch system using kernel 4.7.3 and wpa_supplicant
>> 2.5.
>>
>> The dongle appears to connect and work fine, but after around 10 minutes
>> it deauthenticates and enters and endless loop of authentication
>> timeout. This continues even if I bring the interface down and back up
>> again. The only way to restore the connection is to physically remove
>> and re-plug the usb dongle.
>>
>> I have attached a dmesg log of connecting and entering the auth loop.
> Please provide details about the AP you are trying to connect to and iw
> link output.
>
> Jes

Attachments:
rtl8192eu-iw-link.txt (214.00 B)

2016-09-20 20:12:25

by Jes Sorensen

"Franc[e]sco" <[email protected]> writes:
> Hi, I happen to own a RTL8192EU WiFi dongle which is marked as untested
> by the rtl8xxxu driver.
>
> I'm on a linux from scratch system using kernel 4.7.3 and wpa_supplicant
> 2.5.
>
> The dongle appears to connect and work fine, but after around 10 minutes
> it deauthenticates and enters and endless loop of authentication
> timeout. This continues even if I bring the interface down and back up
> again. The only way to restore the connection is to physically remove
> and re-plug the usb dongle.
>
> I have attached a dmesg log of connecting and entering the auth loop.

Please provide details about the AP you are trying to connect to and iw
link output.

Jes

2016-10-02 16:03:26

by Franc[e]sco

Thanks for the patch, just tested the rtl8xxxu-devel branch and it seems
to have the same exact issue with the same dmesg output with the
addition of "rtl8192eu_active_to_emu: Disabling MAC timed out" when I
disconnect the dongle.

I checked out and compiled the whole kernel from the branch because the
4.7.4 sources seemed to be missing the rtl8192eu_active_to_emu function.

These are the main networking scripts provided by Linux From Scratch, by
the way:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/7.10/scripts/apds24.html
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/7.10/scripts/apds26.html

On 10/01/2016 01:39 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> I just pushed a patch into rtl8xxxu-devel which may resolve this issue.
> There were problems with the 8192eu not handling driver reload very
> well. It is possible the network scripts you run would trigger the shut
> down and restart that caused this problem.
>
> I would be interested in knowing if this patch resolves the problem for
> you.
>
> Jes
>
> PS: Please fix your mail client - adding unlisted-recipients to the Cc
> line and cutting out the person you are responding to is really
> annoying.

Attachments:
rtl8192eu-iw-link-devel.txt (328.00 B)
rtl8192eu-dmesg-devel.txt (9.98 kB)

by Jes Sorensen

"Franc[e]sco" <[email protected]> writes:
> Oops, forgot to forward the previous reply to the mailing list.
>
> I have attached the output of iw link
>
> the AP is an asus dsl-n55u router in 2.4 GHz mode, using WPA2-Personal
> with AES encryption. It's also running a second 5GHz wireless network
> which has a different SSID.
>
> Also, this seems to be some kind of power saving kicking in, as the
> dongle keeps working as long as I keep doing things over ssh.

I just pushed a patch into rtl8xxxu-devel which may resolve this issue.
There were problems with the 8192eu not handling driver reload very
well. It is possible the network scripts you run would trigger the shut
down and restart that caused this problem.

I would be interested in knowing if this patch resolves the problem for
you.

Jes

PS: Please fix your mail client - adding unlisted-recipients to the Cc
line and cutting out the person you are responding to is really
annoying.

Attachments:
0002-rtl8xxxu-Fix-rtl8192eu-driver-reload-issue.patch (1.83 kB)

2016-10-03 12:21:34

by Jes Sorensen

"Franc[e]sco" <[email protected]> writes:
> Thanks for the patch, just tested the rtl8xxxu-devel branch and it seems
> to have the same exact issue with the same dmesg output with the
> addition of "rtl8192eu_active_to_emu: Disabling MAC timed out" when I
> disconnect the dongle.
>
> I checked out and compiled the whole kernel from the branch because the
> 4.7.4 sources seemed to be missing the rtl8192eu_active_to_emu function.

There are other patches related to the 8192eu in the wireless tree which
fix some issues with the dongle if you reload the driver. Alternatively
pull my git tree and build that.

Jes