2002-02-05 11:43:28

by william fitzgerald

Subject: windows is more secure than linux!!

hi all,

some of you might find this interesting others
disheartening

http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623

Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at beer.com.

2002-02-05 12:58:50

by Alan

Subject: Re: windows is more secure than linux!!

> some of you might find this interesting others
> disheartening
>
> http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623

See "Accountancy, Enron"

3+Gb of software accounted as Linux
multiplied by each per vendor announcement

versus

only the stuff strictly on the base windows CD

I would have thought even Arthur Andersen could work that one out

2002-02-05 12:58:50

by Bugtraq Mailing Lists

The whole news article regarding this is preposterous, and are hilarious
claims.

> hi all,
>
> some of you might find this interesting others
> disheartening
>
> http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623
>

> Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at beer.com.
> -

by Garrett Marone

Try adding up all the vulnerabilities in every piece of windows software,
Microsoft written or not, and then compare. Then I might listen based on
these numbers.

In the last episode (Tuesday 05 February 2002 08:11 am), Alan Cox wrote:
> some of you might find this interesting others
> disheartening
>
> http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623

See "Accountancy, Enron"

3+Gb of software accounted as Linux
multiplied by each per vendor announcement

versus

only the stuff strictly on the base windows CD

I would have thought even Arthur Andersen could work that one out

2002-02-05 14:05:08

by william fitzgerald

Subject: Re: Re: windows is more secure than linux!!

yes your right,i didn't mean it to be gossble.

i was just letting the community know whats be
said and how some people are trashing linux
constantly.

sorry for rubbing anyone up the wrong way.

08:11 am), Alan Cox wrote:
> some of you might find this interesting others
> disheartening

http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623

See "Accountancy, Enron"

3+Gb of software accounted as Linux
multiplied by each per vendor announcement

versus

only the stuff strictly on the base windows CD

I would have thought even Arthur Andersen could
work that one out

2002-02-05 18:42:45

by Rik van Riel

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, william fitzgerald wrote:

> some of you might find this interesting others
> disheartening

Still others, like me, find it very encouraging
that Microsoft can't stop talking about Linux.
They must be enthusiastic about it, or something.

> http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623

Now add the security holes in ISS, Outlook, Exchange,
Access and all available pieces of Windows software
into the picture so Linux and Windows are measured on
an equal ground.

Lies, damn lies & statistics.

regards,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/

by Drew P. Vogel

One thing I haven't seen argued is what I find most important. The time
frame in which I am vulnerable. I'd rather have 10x the number of
vulnerabilities which last 1/10th the time.

--Drew Vogel

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, william fitzgerald wrote:
>
>> some of you might find this interesting others
>> disheartening
>
>Still others, like me, find it very encouraging
>that Microsoft can't stop talking about Linux.
>They must be enthusiastic about it, or something.
>
>> http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623
>
>Now add the security holes in ISS, Outlook, Exchange,
>Access and all available pieces of Windows software
>into the picture so Linux and Windows are measured on
>an equal ground.
>
>Lies, damn lies & statistics.
>
>regards,
>
>Rik
>--
>DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/
>
>http://www.surriel.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/
>
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

42.3454% of statistics are completely made up

Matt Brenneke

by Andreas Tscharner

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:41:42 -0200 (BRST)
Rik van Riel <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
> > http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623
>
> Now add the security holes in ISS, Outlook, Exchange,
> Access and all available pieces of Windows software
> into the picture so Linux and Windows are measured on
> an equal ground.

You don't even need to...

>From http://lwn.net/daily/

"Somebody needs to point out to them that they are counting the same vulnerabilities four times."

Regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Tscharner [email protected]
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

2002-02-05 21:39:34

by Little, John

>From the security focus website :

Several things should be taken into consideration when interpreting these
numbers:

These numbers are dated; the collection and calculation of data stopped in
early August 2001 due to a site migration issue. We are currently working on
this issue and should have it resolved in the near future.

There is a distinct difference in the way that vulnerabilities are counted
for Microsoft Windows and other operating systems. For instance,
applications for Linux and BSD are often grouped in as subcomponents with
the operating systems that they are shipped with. For Windows, applications
and subcomponents such as Explorer often have their own packages that are
considered vulnerable or not vulnerable outside of Windows and therefore may
not be included in the count. This may skew numbers.

This is a simple raw count of the vulnerabilities in our database that are
associated directly with an operating system. The factors mentioned above
were not taken into consideration when generating these graphs.

The numbers presented below should not be considered a metric by which an
accurate comparison

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:41:42 -0200 (BRST)
Rik van Riel <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
> > http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=16886&u_id=623
>
> Now add the security holes in ISS, Outlook, Exchange,
> Access and all available pieces of Windows software
> into the picture so Linux and Windows are measured on
> an equal ground.

You don't even need to...

>From http://lwn.net/daily/

"Somebody needs to point out to them that they are counting the same
vulnerabilities four times."

Regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Tscharner [email protected]
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

2002-02-05 22:35:25

by James Stevenson