2001-03-28 22:44:45

by Bruno Avila

Subject: Plans for 2.5

Hello people,

I got some questions. When are we going to develop stuff for 2.5? What is
planed? My opinion for linux 2.5 should be performance. Since linux already
is stable or well done for nature, we could thing more on performance to be
a diferencial over others. What do you people thing?

Bruno Avila

PS: Not a good english. I know! :)

Subject: Re: Plans for 2.5

On Wednesday, 28 March 2001, at 19:44:52 -0300,
Bruno Avila wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> I got some questions. When are we going to develop stuff for 2.5? What is
> planed? My opinion for linux 2.5 should be performance. Since linux already
> is stable or well done for nature, we could thing more on performance to be
> a diferencial over others. What do you people thing?

My two cents. I'd like to see Linux VM subsystem "stabilize". By now, with
2.4.x I have the subjective impression that memory management is a bit
worse that on 2.2.x. For example, the kernel starts allocating much swap
space even when there is still plenty of free physical RAM. Also, it tends
not to balance well between cached/buffered data and swap space. Finally,
when an application ends and releases memroy, swap space allocated by this
application _seems_ not to be freed (that, AFAIK, is a know issue being
addressed). Don't know if this is 2.5.x stuff or can be integrated into
later 2.4.x releases.

By the way, it has been mentioned in this list that work is underway to
develop new capability based features for the kernel. Does it have
anything to do with capabilities as provided by LIDS ?. Is there a plan on
integrating this and/or other patches in the mainstream kernel ?.

Argh, too many things at once, and the worst one is that I can't help a lot
on anyone. I expect not to have given developers a bit of extra work :)

--
Jos? Luis Domingo L?pez
Linux Registered User #189436 Debian GNU/Linux Potato (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org => ? Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT org => Spam at your own risk

2001-03-29 04:37:37

by James Simmons

> I got some questions. When are we going to develop stuff for 2.5? What
>is planed? My opinion for linux 2.5 should be performance. Since linux
>already is stable or well done for nature, we could thing more on
>performance to be a diferencial over others. What do you people thing?

2.5.X will start once Linus see 2.4.X being stable enough for him to move
on.

For me I'm working on rewriting the console layer. The two
biggest parts to this are one cleanup of the fbcon layer to be much
smaller and leaner. This is very much needed especially for graphical
embedded devices that need as small a kernel as possible. We also need
to deal with the latency issues fbcon suffer so badly from. Part of the
changes is that each fbdev driver will have console code moved out of
it and into fbcon.c. This makes for a much smaller and faster fbdev
driver. Another bonus for this is it is possible to the /dev/fb interface
and not use fbcon. This means you can use vgacon and open /dev/fb and have
a graphical session and then close it and get back to vgacon. This is a
nice feature especially when debugging fbdev drivers. A even more
important function for this is again embedded devices. Most graphical
embedded devices have a graphical display but no keyboard. Instead they
use a touch screen. Here a framebuffer console doesn't make sense. What
does make sense is if we have /dev/fb and a /dev/event interface for the
touch screen. Here we would then use for the console a serial port or
maybe even a network console driver.
The second part is is the porting of all the input devices over to the
input api. This allows for a consistant api for all input devices. This
will greatly cleanup up the mess of drivers/char/keyboard.c. The code in
keyboard.c will grab events from keybaord input devices and send them to
the correct VT. Again this is very important for embedded devices. Since a
large part of X server design is centered around the idea of input devices
this will allow the developement of micro X servers. Also with the
/dev/eventX interface we can have direct input for glut with OpenGL. Like
direct rendering you will get a enormous performance boost. This will very
important for porting linux over to game consoles. It will also allow
for fast gaming or more the more serious better interactivity for things
like molecular simulators on PCs using linux. For embedded devices that
can't afford to run X it can directly use /dev/fb and /dev/event without the
need to mess around with the console system. Also the micro X servers
will not have to as well mess with the console system as well. Of course
smaller leaner graphical systems will come to the PC as well. Meaning much
better X servers in the future (*hint hint*) :-)

MS: (n) 1. A debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction that
renders the sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task. 2. A disease.

James Simmons [[email protected]] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net U
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net

2001-03-29 09:11:16

by Shmuel Hen

Just some general questions:

1) Is there anywhere a list that describes what is intended to be in 2.5.x ?
2) Are there any early releases of 2.5.x ?
3) Are the things for 2.5.x being discussed on another mailing list ?
4) What is the time frame of releasing 2.5.x-final (or 2.6.x) ?

Specifically, I'm more interested in the network driver aspect.
1) Are there any intended changes to the networking layer ?
2) I over heard something about making the driver reentrant - any news ?
3) What about support for IPv6 ? (I noticed it was marked as experimental
until now)

Thanks in advance,
Shmulik Hen
Software Engineer
Linux Advanced Networking Services
Intel Network Communications Group
Jerusalem, Israel

I got some questions. When are we going to develop stuff for 2.5?
What is
planed? My opinion for linux 2.5 should be performance. Since linux already
is stable or well done for nature, we could thing more on performance to be
a diferencial over others. What do you people thing?

Bruno Avila

PS: Not a good english. I know! :)

2001-03-29 12:12:04

by Giacomo Catenazzi

"Hen, Shmulik" wrote:

> Just some general questions:
>
> 1) Is there anywhere a list that describes what is intended to be in 2.5.x ?

General/Big changes are discussed in:
http://lwn.net/2001/0329/a/kernel-summit-agenda.php3

> 2) Are there any early releases of 2.5.x ?
> 3) Are the things for 2.5.x being discussed on another mailing list ?

kbuild list discusses about:

new configuration language (an unified language: now there are
three
implementation: 2 shell like and one different, so it fail
with most
of changes).

new makefiles. Actual makefile will fail with dependencies and
modules.

> 4) What is the time frame of releasing 2.5.x-final (or 2.6.x) ?
>

> Specifically, I'm more interested in the network driver aspect.
> 1) Are there any intended changes to the networking layer ?
> 2) I over heard something about making the driver reentrant - any news ?
> 3) What about support for IPv6 ? (I noticed it was marked as experimental
> until now)

giacomo

2001-03-31 03:55:46

by Joel Jaeggli

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Hen, Shmulik wrote:

> Just some general questions:
>
> 1) Is there anywhere a list that describes what is intended to be in 2.5.x ?
> 2) Are there any early releases of 2.5.x ?

if it's anything like 2.1 or 2.3 we need a bit more 2.4 tidying till
somebody decides some major component needs a rewrite.

> 3) Are the things for 2.5.x being discussed on another mailing list ?
> 4) What is the time frame of releasing 2.5.x-final (or 2.6.x) ?

wow that's jumping the gun a bit.

> Specifically, I'm more interested in the network driver aspect.
> 1) Are there any intended changes to the networking layer ?

I should think.

> 2) I over heard something about making the driver reentrant - any news ?
> 3) What about support for IPv6 ? (I noticed it was marked as experimental
> until now)

one of things I'd like to see is igmpv3 support. The sprintlabs code would
need pretty serious effort to make pretty, but folks are starting to work
on getting wilberts (kpn) code into freebsd 4.3 beta so it might be time
to start looking at it.

> Thanks in advance,
> Shmulik Hen
> Software Engineer
> Linux Advanced Networking Services
> Intel Network Communications Group
> Jerusalem, Israel

Joel Jaeggli [email protected]
Academic User Services [email protected]
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

2001-03-31 14:35:26

by James Lewis Nance

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 07:54:44PM -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Hen, Shmulik wrote:
> > 4) What is the time frame of releasing 2.5.x-final (or 2.6.x) ?
>
> wow that's jumping the gun a bit.

But its easy to answer. It will come out about 1 year after whatever
target date we initially set :-)

2001-03-31 14:54:05

by Lars Marowsky-Bree

On 2001-03-31T09:36:33,
James Lewis Nance <[email protected]> said:

> > > 4) What is the time frame of releasing 2.5.x-final (or 2.6.x) ?
> > wow that's jumping the gun a bit.
> But its easy to answer. It will come out about 1 year after whatever
> target date we initially set :-)

Sorry, s/we initially set/we assume at any given time/. (Recursion, noun: see
recursion)

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Br?e <[email protected]>

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl