2002-06-26 22:26:18

by Rik van Riel

Subject: #kernelnewbies moves

Hi,

due to a possible incompatibility between one of the
OPN admins soliciting money on a regular basis and the
policies of the network where kernelnewbies.org is
hosted we have decided to move the #kernelnewbies IRC
channel to another network.

You will be able to find us on:

irc.oftc.net / #kernelnewbies

Kernelnewbies is a project meant to help people learn
about operating system development by providing information
and operating a mailing list and IRC channel where current
and future developers can help each other. More information
about kernelnewbies can be found on http://kernelnewbies.org/

kind regards,

Rik

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

2002-06-27 16:30:03

by Andrew Rodland

Subject: Re: #kernelnewbies moves

You realize that if you weren't _forcing_ people not to go to the
channel on OPN, by making it useless, everyone would go there anyway.

Why?
Because a #kn that isn't on OPN is no #kn at all.

I hope the other one dies a slow, painful death, for the good of
everyone.

2002-06-27 16:35:56

by Stephen Frost

* Andrew Rodland ([email protected]) wrote:
> You realize that if you weren't _forcing_ people not to go to the
> channel on OPN, by making it useless, everyone would go there anyway.

Uh, I believe you have the OPN ircops to thank for making it +m. I know
that it was done by Chanserv directly after riel had left.

> Why?
> Because a #kn that isn't on OPN is no #kn at all.

That's silly and if #kn had to be on OPN then it wouldn't exist due to
the policies as riel pointed out.

> I hope the other one dies a slow, painful death, for the good of
> everyone.

The good of everyone? You're very silly.

Stephen

Attachments:
(No filename) (616.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Disconnect

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 12:38, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andrew Rodland ([email protected]) wrote:
> > You realize that if you weren't _forcing_ people not to go to the
> > channel on OPN, by making it useless, everyone would go there anyway.
>
> Uh, I believe you have the OPN ircops to thank for making it +m. I know
> that it was done by Chanserv directly after riel had left.

Chanserv.. as in when the channel owner (Riel) told it to, just after
leaving...

If the irc ops had done it it would have been completely blocked - you
join, it gives a message and kicks you out..

> > Why?
> > Because a #kn that isn't on OPN is no #kn at all.
>
> That's silly and if #kn had to be on OPN then it wouldn't exist due to
> the policies as riel pointed out.
>
> > I hope the other one dies a slow, painful death, for the good of
> > everyone.
>
> The good of everyone? You're very silly.
>
> Stephen

2002-06-28 17:10:39

by Stephen Frost

* Disconnect ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 12:38, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Andrew Rodland ([email protected]) wrote:
> > > You realize that if you weren't _forcing_ people not to go to the
> > > channel on OPN, by making it useless, everyone would go there anyway.
> >
> > Uh, I believe you have the OPN ircops to thank for making it +m. I know
> > that it was done by Chanserv directly after riel had left.
>
> Chanserv.. as in when the channel owner (Riel) told it to, just after
> leaving...

As far as I could tell, riel had already left the network at that point.
Additionally, if you /m chanserv info #kernelnewbies you will see that
the 'Mode Lock' is only +s and that +m is *not* there.

> If the irc ops had done it it would have been completely blocked - you
> join, it gives a message and kicks you out..

The irc ops could do either, of course. I find it very likely that it
was done by lilo after I mentioned that the channel had moved on a
channel he was on.

Stephen

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.99 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Gerhard Mack

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * Disconnect ([email protected]) wrote:
> > >
> > > Uh, I believe you have the OPN ircops to thank for making it +m. I know
> > > that it was done by Chanserv directly after riel had left.
> >
> > Chanserv.. as in when the channel owner (Riel) told it to, just after
> > leaving...
>
> As far as I could tell, riel had already left the network at that point.
> Additionally, if you /m chanserv info #kernelnewbies you will see that
> the 'Mode Lock' is only +s and that +m is *not* there.
>
> > If the irc ops had done it it would have been completely blocked - you
> > join, it gives a message and kicks you out..
>
> The irc ops could do either, of course. I find it very likely that it
> was done by lilo after I mentioned that the channel had moved on a
> channel he was on.
>
> Stephen

Not correct.. lilo was actually supprised when he found out it was
moderated.

You should have asked lilo directly instead of spreading misinformation.

Anyhow one of the other chanops seems to have removed the +m and the
channel is functional again.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2002-06-28 18:30:53

by Stephen Frost

* Gerhard Mack ([email protected]) wrote:
> Not correct.. lilo was actually supprised when he found out it was
> moderated.
>
> You should have asked lilo directly instead of spreading misinformation.

It wasn't misinformation, it's what I felt likely, and still do,
honestly.

> Anyhow one of the other chanops seems to have removed the +m and the
> channel is functional again.

<Shrug>

Stephen

Attachments: