2003-03-12 06:38:55

by M. Soltysiak

Subject: Linux BUG: Memory Leak

I sent this here because i don't know which author screwed up.

Basically, it's a massive kernel memory leak or a VM problem.

System specs:
1 GBytes RAM
duel CPU system; 1 Ghz each.
IDE disk system, 133 Mhz bus speed, DMA.
USB mouse.
PS/2 Keyboard.
Creative Labs emu10k1-based sound card. (LIVE!)
Asus Motherboard.

Problem:

When I boot the system, run X11 with KDE--totalling 100 M at most--things
are fine.

When I run applications that use quite a bit of memory -- those that use 500
Megs of RAM -- Linux keeps on allocating memory until it's full. When full,
system acts dead, as expected from the bad VM design. But why does the
system allocate memory until the RAM is full? User applications are NOT
leaking memory.

Example: Installing Unreal Tournament 2003 -- from the CD drive, IDE -- for
example, playing mp3 files and browsing the web with Mozilla, and the system
will eventually allocate memory until the system freezes. All of RAM is
allocated, and the system is frozen.

Possible problem: VM algorithm is not too good, and should take a lesson to
BSD; or the kernel is leaking memory -- unknown location. I'll look into
the problem in a few weeks when i'm free; but now, i got work.

I'm sure many people are getting this problem...

I can fix the problem, but i got engineering projects to worry about.

Matt.

by Mike Galbraith

Subject: Re: Linux BUG: Memory Leak

At 06:49 AM 3/12/2003 +0000, M. Soltysiak wrote:
>I sent this here because i don't know which author screwed up.

I note that diplomacy isn't your strong suite.

>System specs:
>1 GBytes RAM
>duel CPU system; 1 Ghz each.
>IDE disk system, 133 Mhz bus speed, DMA.
>USB mouse.
>PS/2 Keyboard.
>Creative Labs emu10k1-based sound card. (LIVE!)
>Asus Motherboard.

Which kernel version, and how much swap (0?).

>Problem:
>
>When I boot the system, run X11 with KDE--totalling 100 M at most--things
>are fine.
>
>When I run applications that use quite a bit of memory -- those that use
>500 Megs of RAM -- Linux keeps on allocating memory until it's full. When
>full, system acts dead, as expected from the bad VM design. But why does
>the system allocate memory until the RAM is full? User applications are
>NOT leaking memory.

What are you basing these assertions upon?

>Example: Installing Unreal Tournament 2003 -- from the CD drive, IDE --
>for example, playing mp3 files and browsing the web with Mozilla, and the
>system will eventually allocate memory until the system freezes. All of
>RAM is allocated, and the system is frozen.

Please post a detailed report including kernel version, process sizes and
/proc/slabinfo just prior to live-lock. This report is useless. (not to
mention arrogant)

-Mike

2003-03-12 07:20:22

by William Stearns

Good day, Matt,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, M. Soltysiak wrote:

> I sent this here because i don't know which author screwed up.

Please don't start the post with a negative tone; focus on a
problem in software rather than on insulting the people from whom you want
help.
Please take a look at /usr/src/linux/REPORTING-BUGS. At an
absolute minimum, the people on this list can't do anything at all until
you tell us what kernel version you're using, what modules are loaded,
etc. - all things that that file is designed to uncover. You might also
want to mention what Linux distribution you're using. Did you compile the
kernel yourself, or are you using a vendor-supplied kernel? If it's from
your vendor, have you updated it to the most current for your
distribution? If you compiled it yourself, what compile options did you
use? Did you apply any patches to the source?

> Basically, it's a massive kernel memory leak or a VM problem.
>
> System specs:
> 1 GBytes RAM
> duel CPU system; 1 Ghz each.
> IDE disk system, 133 Mhz bus speed, DMA.
> USB mouse.
> PS/2 Keyboard.
> Creative Labs emu10k1-based sound card. (LIVE!)
> Asus Motherboard.

Does the system pass a night's worth of memtest86 successfully?
If we can rule out hardware, that narrows the problem space down some.

> Problem:
>
> When I boot the system, run X11 with KDE--totalling 100 M at most--things
> are fine.
>
> When I run applications that use quite a bit of memory -- those that use 500
> Megs of RAM -- Linux keeps on allocating memory until it's full. When full,
> system acts dead, as expected from the bad VM design. But why does the

Again, it sounds like you're taking an insulting tone. :-)

> system allocate memory until the RAM is full? User applications are NOT
> leaking memory.

"Acts dead" - what does that mean? Sluggish? Pauses for a few
seconds, then returns to normal? Swapping madly? For how long? Hard
lockup, no keys do anything? Does the caps lock key change the state of
the caps lock led? Do the caps/scroll/numlock lights flash on and off
without keypresses? Does anything show up in the logs on next boot? Can
you kill X11 with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace? Can you reboot the box with
Ctrl-Alt-Del? Does Sysrq-S force disk activity? Can you ssh in from
another box when it "acts dead"?

> Example: Installing Unreal Tournament 2003 -- from the CD drive, IDE -- for
> example, playing mp3 files and browsing the web with Mozilla, and the system
> will eventually allocate memory until the system freezes. All of RAM is
> allocated, and the system is frozen.

What are the last few lines from "vmstat 1" when the system
freezes? Does top show any memory amounts=0? What does top claim is the
biggest memory user, both in the header area and down in application
space?
Can you make the problem occur with fewer programs, say, just with
Mozilla, or just with Unreal? How long does it take for the problem to
show up? Minutes, hours, days?

> Possible problem: VM algorithm is not too good, and should take a lesson to
> BSD; or the kernel is leaking memory -- unknown location. I'll look into
> the problem in a few weeks when i'm free; but now, i got work.
>
> I'm sure many people are getting this problem...

As I mentioned above... ;-)

> I can fix the problem, but i got engineering projects to worry about.

If you'd prefer, feel free. You do remember that the people from
whom you're asking help have day jobs too, right? *grin*
http://www.stearns.org/doc/howtoask.current.html
Cheers,
- Bill

"A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line today. The results
blacked out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."
-- Steel City News
(Courtesy of G.W. Wettstein <[email protected]>)
William Stearns ([email protected]). Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at: http://www.stearns.org
Linux articles at: http://www.opensourcedigest.com

by David Shirley

Err for starters you should include kernel version and OS versions etc.

Also how do you expect any computer to work once it has run out of
memory? Do you have swap partition? I suspect not, or a small one in
any case!

Some of the applications you mention are notorios for memory leaks
themselves. ie UT!

Cheers
Dave

> I sent this here because i don't know which author screwed up.
>
> Basically, it's a massive kernel memory leak or a VM problem.
>
> System specs:
> 1 GBytes RAM
> duel CPU system; 1 Ghz each.
> IDE disk system, 133 Mhz bus speed, DMA.
> USB mouse.
> PS/2 Keyboard.
> Creative Labs emu10k1-based sound card. (LIVE!)
> Asus Motherboard.
>
> Problem:
>
> When I boot the system, run X11 with KDE--totalling 100 M at most--things
> are fine.
>
> When I run applications that use quite a bit of memory -- those that use
500
> Megs of RAM -- Linux keeps on allocating memory until it's full. When
full,
> system acts dead, as expected from the bad VM design. But why does the
> system allocate memory until the RAM is full? User applications are NOT
> leaking memory.
>
> Example: Installing Unreal Tournament 2003 -- from the CD drive, IDE --
for
> example, playing mp3 files and browsing the web with Mozilla, and the
system
> will eventually allocate memory until the system freezes. All of RAM is
> allocated, and the system is frozen.
>
> Possible problem: VM algorithm is not too good, and should take a lesson
> BSD; or the kernel is leaking memory -- unknown location. I'll look into
> the problem in a few weeks when i'm free; but now, i got work.
>
> I'm sure many people are getting this problem...
>
> I can fix the problem, but i got engineering projects to worry about.
>
> Matt.

by Maciej Soltysiak

Hi,

i just gotta denote that This M. Soltysiak <[email protected]>
is not me, though my name is the same :)

I would not like to be mixed up with someone else :)

Regards,
Maciej Soltysiak
<[email protected]>

2003-03-12 16:39:21

by Disconnect

For starters, read (and apply!) everyone else's comments re politeness,
proper information to include, etc.

But to add some info in a "Me too":

System has 1G lowmem (the AA vm patches) and showed almost the same
symptoms last night after 1wk of uptime. Its now been up for about 14
hours with several large processes, agp, etc all going and is - yet
again - running out of memory. (After booting and logging in, 130 megs
was used.. and that was it.)

Kernel: 2.4.20 + patches (see list below)
Memory: PC133 @ 133 - 1024M lowmem, 0M highmem, 2048M swap
Disk: AIC7xxx + LVM1 (raid0)
CPU: Tbird 1.2G non-overclocked
Added modules: lm-sensors, alsa, gatos radeon hardware-gl for X 4.2.0 (X
ver 4.2.1)
Config: Attached

I showed up last night to find it was 900 megs into swap and (relatively
slowly) climbing, but nothing in ps showed a particularly large memory
usage (largest was X, which was - AFAIU - likely to be a mix of "X
leaks" and agp/vidram buffers.. and it was 200M total). Killed off X
and the other largish apps (apache at 30M, etc..) such that ps showed
well under 300 megs of total VM accounted for. But free still showed
950 megs of ram and 100 megs of swap in use. /proc/meminfo showed some
of it (300 megs or so) as buffers, only 16M in cache.

Its been rebooted to the same workload and the same kernel, and happened
again. That info is attached below.

Basically the patches come from the debian kernel-patch-ck package:

O(1) and batch scheduler (ck)
Author: Ingo Molnar

Fix for a locking bug in wait_on_page, wait_on_buffer, get_request_wait
(ck)
See the URL below for information on what this patch fixes.