2004-06-08 15:29:37

by Mark Gross

Subject: swsusp "not enough swap space" 2.6.5-mm6.

I'm sorry for not having more information, but the failing computer is my home
laptop (I'll get more details after work or I'll bring it in tomorrow for
more details).

Anyway, this thing does software suspend using the 2.6.2-mm1 kernel, and last
night I was updating it to 2.6.5-mm6, and I started getting these not enough
disk space errors.

I found your bug fix patch,
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107806008626357&w=2
and checked that it is included in the 2.6.5-mm6 kernel I'm using.

Without more information does this problem ring any bells?

Can you recommend a "good" kernel version that does reliable swsusp?

--mgross

2004-06-08 23:05:20

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: swsusp "not enough swap space" 2.6.5-mm6.

Hi!

> I'm sorry for not having more information, but the failing computer is my home
> laptop (I'll get more details after work or I'll bring it in tomorrow for
> more details).
>
> Anyway, this thing does software suspend using the 2.6.2-mm1 kernel, and last
> night I was updating it to 2.6.5-mm6, and I started getting these not enough
> disk space errors.
>
> I found your bug fix patch,
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107806008626357&w=2
> and checked that it is included in the 2.6.5-mm6 kernel I'm using.
>
> Without more information does this problem ring any bells?
>
> Can you recommend a "good" kernel version that does reliable swsusp?

Get 2.6.6, and set swappiness to 100.

Pavel

--
934a471f20d6580d5aad759bf0d97ddc

2004-06-09 15:35:31

by Mark Gross

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 16:04, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I'm sorry for not having more information, but the failing computer is my
> > home laptop (I'll get more details after work or I'll bring it in
> > tomorrow for more details).
> >
> > Anyway, this thing does software suspend using the 2.6.2-mm1 kernel, and
> > last night I was updating it to 2.6.5-mm6, and I started getting these
> > not enough disk space errors.
> >
> > I found your bug fix patch,
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107806008626357&w=2
> > and checked that it is included in the 2.6.5-mm6 kernel I'm using.
> >
> > Without more information does this problem ring any bells?
> >
> > Can you recommend a "good" kernel version that does reliable swsusp?
>
> Get 2.6.6, and set swappiness to 100.
>
> Pavel

2.6.6 still fails, just like the failure reported by the thread independent of
swappiness:

However; as hinted in the thread turning off premption does seem to fix the
problem.

When will the CONFIG_PREEMPT work with swsusp again? (it works with 2.6.2-mm1
on my system a NEC VERSA E120 Daylite with 512MB ram)

Also, why does it burp out such a bogus message? not enough swap, when its
trying to dump only 7000 some pages to a 700MB swap partiion that isn't used
yet is missleading.

--mgross

2004-06-09 16:27:31

by Mark Gross

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 08:32, Mark Gross wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 16:04, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > I'm sorry for not having more information, but the failing computer is
> > > my home laptop (I'll get more details after work or I'll bring it in
> > > tomorrow for more details).
> > >
> > > Anyway, this thing does software suspend using the 2.6.2-mm1 kernel,
> > > and last night I was updating it to 2.6.5-mm6, and I started getting
> > > these not enough disk space errors.
> > >
> > > I found your bug fix patch,
> > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107806008626357&w=2
> > > and checked that it is included in the 2.6.5-mm6 kernel I'm using.
> > >
> > > Without more information does this problem ring any bells?
> > >
> > > Can you recommend a "good" kernel version that does reliable swsusp?
> >
> > Get 2.6.6, and set swappiness to 100.
> >
> > Pavel
>
> 2.6.6 still fails, just like the failure reported by the thread independent
> of swappiness:

> However; as hinted in the thread turning off premption does seem to fix the
> problem.

Spoke too soon. My build tree that had the success was 2.6.6-mm6, so I
re-built a clean 2.6.6 from tarball using the .config from the successful
run, CONFIG_PREEMPT=n. It fails. 2.6.6-mm5 works, but only if
CONFIG_PREEMPT=n.

I have to get to my day job now, but whats up with the flakieness of the
swsusp? Shouldn't it be mostly working by now?

--mgross

2004-06-09 19:48:23

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:27 -0700, Mark Gross wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2004 08:32, Mark Gross wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 June 2004 16:04, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > Get 2.6.6, and set swappiness to 100.
> > >
> > > Pavel
> >
> > 2.6.6 still fails, just like the failure reported by the thread independent
> > of swappiness:
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=107806010900002&r=1&w=2
> >
> > However; as hinted in the thread turning off premption does seem to fix the
> > problem.
> >

> Spoke too soon. My build tree that had the success was 2.6.6-mm6, so I
> re-built a clean 2.6.6 from tarball using the .config from the successful
> run, CONFIG_PREEMPT=n. It fails. 2.6.6-mm5 works, but only if
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=n.
>
> I have to get to my day job now, but whats up with the flakieness of the
> swsusp? Shouldn't it be mostly working by now?

It's working flawlessly for me with 2.6.7-rc3-mm1. I also applied the
following patches (who knows)...

Attachments:
swsusp-leak.fix (3.93 kB)
swsusp-swappiness.patch (4.40 kB)

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> 2.6.6 still fails, just like the failure reported by the thread independent of
> swappiness:

> However; as hinted in the thread turning off premption does seem to fix the
> problem.

Good.

> When will the CONFIG_PREEMPT work with swsusp again? (it works with 2.6.2-mm1
> on my system a NEC VERSA E120 Daylite with 512MB ram)

Bad question.

It works for me (with few warnings). CONFIG_PREEMPT is not too high on
my todo list, sorry.

> Also, why does it burp out such a bogus message? not enough swap, when its
> trying to dump only 7000 some pages to a 700MB swap partiion that isn't used
> yet is missleading.

How much bogus? It says not enough memory, and there really might be
not enough RAM available.

Can you quote exact message and/or suggest patch.
Pavel
--
934a471f20d6580d5aad759bf0d97ddc

2004-06-09 21:13:52

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> I have to get to my day job now, but whats up with the flakieness of the
> swsusp? Shouldn't it be mostly working by now?

As you noticed, it *is* mostly working. However there are about 1000
drivers, and about 3 people working on swsusp.

There's ACPI team at Intel, perhaps they are willing to help? ;-)
Pavel
--
934a471f20d6580d5aad759bf0d97ddc

2004-06-09 21:28:06

by Mark Gross

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 12:48, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:27 -0700, Mark Gross wrote:

> > > 2.6.6 still fails, just like the failure reported by the thread
> > > independent of swappiness:
> > >
> > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=107806010900002&r=1&w=2
> > >
> > > However; as hinted in the thread turning off premption does seem to fix
> > > the problem.
> >
> > Spoke too soon. My build tree that had the success was 2.6.6-mm6, so I
> > re-built a clean 2.6.6 from tarball using the .config from the successful
> > run, CONFIG_PREEMPT=n. It fails. 2.6.6-mm5 works, but only if
> > CONFIG_PREEMPT=n.
> >
> > I have to get to my day job now, but whats up with the flakieness of the
> > swsusp? Shouldn't it be mostly working by now?
>
> It's working flawlessly for me with 2.6.7-rc3-mm1. I also applied the
> following patches (who knows)...

They seem to work for me too, but I can't build with CONFIG_PERFCTR :)

thanks,

--mgross