2004-06-11 04:10:20

by Andrew Rodland

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] -ar patchset

Why does the world need yet another kernel patchset? There are a couple of
reasons, basically. The first is that I have a bunch of free time coming up,
and I want to get back in sync with the kernel hacking process. The other is
that I want to strike a balance: a little more experimental than -ck, but
with less heavy updating and (I hope) potential instability than -mm.

I intend to release mostly for release kernels only; this one is for 2.6.7-rc3
because I'm impatient and because that is what Con is currently syncing up
with.

All that being said, at http://hobbs.dynup.net/patches/2.6.7-rc3-ar1/ you can
find the initial version of the patch, with staircase,
autoregulate-swappiness, supermount-ng, ext3 and reiser improvements, and a
free toy in every box. Passes the boot test on i386; if it breaks anywhere
that rc3 doesn't, I'd love to hear about it. If it makes your machine twice
as fast, I'd love to hear about that too.

Andrew Rodland < [email protected] >

P.S. I read via GMANE, so Cc:ing me if you want my attention couldn't hurt.

2004-06-12 02:39:25

by Pokey the Penguin

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] -ar patchset

> find the initial version of the patch, with staircase,
> autoregulate-swappiness, supermount-ng, ext3 and reiser improvements, and a

I gather that supermount-ng is now quite dated and no longer maintained. Is
submount (http://submount.sourceforge.net/) not the current favourite to
provide such functionality?

Looking at the two, submount definitely seems more ready for inclusion based
on its non-invasive approach.