2000-07-31 16:41:47

by kaih

Subject: Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

[email protected] (David Howells) wrote on 28.07.00 in <[email protected]>:

> Why not /usr/modules or /usr/kernel for the stuff required to compile
> modules (in other words stuff that the kernel doesn't actually use), for
> example:

I notice just about everybody suggesting absolute paths.

Try relative paths or environment variables instead. This has the
advantage of working anywhere you damn well please.

MfG Kai

2000-08-01 07:34:14

by David Howells

Kai Henningsen wrote:
> I notice just about everybody suggesting absolute paths.
>
> Try relative paths or environment variables instead. This has the
> advantage of working anywhere you damn well please.

Relative to what? Which environment variables? Who sets these variables?

David Howells

2000-08-01 19:30:40

by kaih

[email protected] (David Howells) wrote on 01.08.00 in <[email protected]>:

> Kai Henningsen wrote:
> > I notice just about everybody suggesting absolute paths.
> >
> > Try relative paths or environment variables instead. This has the
> > advantage of working anywhere you damn well please.
>
> Relative to what? Which environment variables? Who sets these variables?

Relative paths are relative to the current directory, and have always been
that way.

And of course, those environment variables would be set by the user.

What's so hard to understand about this?

MfG Kai

2000-08-02 06:42:12

by wingel

[email protected] wrote:

>Kai Henningsen wrote:
>> I notice just about everybody suggesting absolute paths.
>>
>> Try relative paths or environment variables instead. This has the
>> advantage of working anywhere you damn well please.
>
>Relative to what? Which environment variables? Who sets these variables?

Relative to the current directory of course.

I've been propagating for this too, since it makes life so much easier
for people compiling multiple versions of the kernel.

The idea is that you tell people to untar the sources for whatever kernel
related packages at the same place they untarred the kernel sources. For
most users this will mean /usr/src (i.e. on a RedHat system).

So for the simple case:

/usr/src/linux
/usr/src/pcmcia-cs
/usr/src/my-whizbang-adapter

and the pcmcia-cs and whizbang packages simply have line in Makefile saying:

KERNELDIR=../linux

For somebody who's playing around with multiple kernels, it would
look something like this:

/usr/src/kernel-2.2.16/linux
/usr/src/kernel-2.2.16/pcmcia-cs
/usr/src/kernel-2.2.16/my-whizbang-adapter

/usr/src/kernel-2.2.17pre3/linux
/usr/src/kernel-2.2.17pre3/pcmcia-cs
/usr/src/kernel-2.2.17pre3/my-whizbang-adapter

And this will work with _no_ modifications to the sources and without
any need to set environment variables. How much easier can it get?

/Christer