2000-11-22 12:55:38

by Keith Owens

Subject: Announce: modutils 2.3.21 is available

This is the "never release a security fix in a hurry" release. The
security fixes in modutils 2.3.20 had some side effects on some config
files. Linus knocked back environment variable MOD_SAFEMODE, instead
the kernel propagates the real uid that caused modprobe to be invoked.

ftp://ftp.<country>.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/modutils/v2.3

patch-modutils-2.3.21.bz2 Patch from modutils 2.3.20 to 2.3.21
modutils-2.3.21.tar.bz2 Source tarball, includes RPM spec file
modutils-2.3.21-1.src.rpm As above, in SRPM format
modutils-2.3.21-1.i386.rpm Compiled with egcs-2.91.66, glibc 2.1.2
modutils-2.3.21-1.sparc.rpm Compiled for combined sparc 32/64

Changelog extract

* Remove compile warnings in xstrcat.
* snprintf cleanups.
* Set safemode when uid != euid.
* Strip quotes from shell responses.

2000-11-22 18:30:15

by Jeff V. Merkey

Subject: Re: Announce: modutils 2.3.21 is available

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 11:25:17PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
> This is the "never release a security fix in a hurry" release. The
> security fixes in modutils 2.3.20 had some side effects on some config
> files. Linus knocked back environment variable MOD_SAFEMODE, instead
> the kernel propagates the real uid that caused modprobe to be invoked.
>
> ftp://ftp.<country>.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/modutils/v2.3
>
> patch-modutils-2.3.21.bz2 Patch from modutils 2.3.20 to 2.3.21
> modutils-2.3.21.tar.bz2 Source tarball, includes RPM spec file
> modutils-2.3.21-1.src.rpm As above, in SRPM format
> modutils-2.3.21-1.i386.rpm Compiled with egcs-2.91.66, glibc 2.1.2
> modutils-2.3.21-1.sparc.rpm Compiled for combined sparc 32/64
>
> Changelog extract
>
> * Remove compile warnings in xstrcat.
> * snprintf cleanups.
> * Set safemode when uid != euid.
> * Strip quotes from shell responses.
+ add RedHat ism's with a --rhc (red hat compatible) -i -m (-F)

RedHat kind of is the standard in the commercial world in the US.

:-)

Jeff

> -

by Andre Hedrick

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> + add RedHat ism's with a --rhc (red hat compatible) -i -m (-F)
>
> RedHat kind of is the standard in the commercial world in the US.

Regardless of the bogus nature of this statement, boss.
GNU/OS packages are to be modified locally and a generic form that does
not have flavor or spin is what maintainers release.

Regards,

Andre Hedrick
CTO Timpanogas Research Group
EVP Linux Development, TRG
Linux ATA Development

2000-11-22 18:55:06

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 10:19:17AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > + add RedHat ism's with a --rhc (red hat compatible) -i -m (-F)
> >
> > RedHat kind of is the standard in the commercial world in the US.
>
> Regardless of the bogus nature of this statement, boss.
> GNU/OS packages are to be modified locally and a generic form that does
> not have flavor or spin is what maintainers release.
>
> Regards,

The -m option is a good idea. Strange since most of the commercial
releases implement these additions. I just hope Keith has a good
sense of humor.

:-)

Jeff

> Andre Hedrick
> CTO Timpanogas Research Group
> EVP Linux Development, TRG
> Linux ATA Development

2000-11-22 19:40:33

by David Ford

> > * Remove compile warnings in xstrcat.
> > * snprintf cleanups.
> > * Set safemode when uid != euid.
> > * Strip quotes from shell responses.
> + add RedHat ism's with a --rhc (red hat compatible) -i -m (-F)
>
> RedHat kind of is the standard in the commercial world in the US.

I don't think it's necessary or appropriate to taylor things for a particular
distribution even if it may unfortunately be 'standard' for some people.

-d

Attachments:
david.vcf (176.00 B)
Card for David Ford

2000-11-22 19:57:17

by Thomas Molina

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, David Ford wrote:

> > > * Remove compile warnings in xstrcat.
> > > * snprintf cleanups.
> > > * Set safemode when uid != euid.
> > > * Strip quotes from shell responses.
> > + add RedHat ism's with a --rhc (red hat compatible) -i -m (-F)
> >
> > RedHat kind of is the standard in the commercial world in the US.
>
> I don't think it's necessary or appropriate to taylor things for a particular
> distribution even if it may unfortunately be 'standard' for some people.

Zackerly. My system will certainly look like a RedHat system; it's
based on one. However (particularly with regards to kernels and
modules), I can almost guarantee it won't react like a RedHat system.