2001-02-09 21:11:57

by Ashish Gupta

Subject: problem in BOGOmips

Hi,
I want to use bogomips as the indicator of CPU capability for
different architectures. I have found following values from /proc/cpuinfo
for different CPUs.

MHz bogomips version
233 intel 233 2.2.9, 2.0.36
166 intel 331 2.2.9
450 AMD-K6 900 2.2.14
800 intel 1600 2.2.16

Why there is a exceptional behaviour of bogomips for 233 intel ?
If there is some patch or changes then please indicate so that i can use
it.

Thanks in advance
Ashish Gupta

Subject: Re: problem in BOGOmips

[email protected] (Ashish Gupta) writes:

> Hi,
> I want to use bogomips as the indicator of CPU capability for
> different architectures. I have found following values from /proc/cpuinfo
> for different CPUs.

You got your answer. Try pronounce bogomips and you will hear bogo like in
bogus. The Bogomips don't represent anything but a way to have a good delay
mechanism... So you can't compare them between CPUs!
--
Mathieu CHOUQUET-STRINGER E-Mail : [email protected]
Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is cheval, and

2001-02-09 21:30:19

by Richard B. Johnson

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Ashish Gupta wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to use bogomips as the indicator of CPU capability for
> different architectures. I have found following values from /proc/cpuinfo
> for different CPUs.

In a nutshell, you can't!

There is the requirement for some small delays when performing
certain kernel functions. Therefore, upon startup, a delay
loop is calibrated by checking how many times the delay-loop
gets executed between two or more hardware interrupts. The
hardware interrupts occur at quite precise intervals so the
calibration can be quite accurate.

A side-effect of the calibration is a loop-count variable.
I should have been called "Loop count", but instead, it
was called "bogomips". Many persons assume that "bogomips"
has some relationship to CPU speed or machine capability.
It doesn't. It can only be claimed that a CPU with a faster
core clock might result in a larger loop-count. In fact
a CPU with a faster core-clock might even show a lesser
loop-count because of differences in internal cache management
or branch-prediction with different CPUs.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

2001-02-09 21:33:39

by Brian Gerst

Ashish Gupta wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to use bogomips as the indicator of CPU capability for
> different architectures. I have found following values from /proc/cpuinfo
> for different CPUs.
>
> MHz bogomips version
> 233 intel 233 2.2.9, 2.0.36
> 166 intel 331 2.2.9
> 450 AMD-K6 900 2.2.14
> 800 intel 1600 2.2.16
>
> Why there is a exceptional behaviour of bogomips for 233 intel ?
> If there is some patch or changes then please indicate so that i can use
> it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ashish Gupta

Bogomips are simply a timing delay loop factor. They do not reflect CPU
performance at all. Bogomips is short for bogus mips.

--

Brian Gerst

2001-02-09 22:18:45

by Prasanna P Subash

the bogomips algorithm changed between kernels. Now it uses the tsc register. Your
bogomips should typically be about 2*processor mhz.

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 02:35:05AM +0530, Ashish Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to use bogomips as the indicator of CPU capability for
> different architectures. I have found following values from /proc/cpuinfo
> for different CPUs.
>
> MHz bogomips version
> 233 intel 233 2.2.9, 2.0.36
> 166 intel 331 2.2.9
> 450 AMD-K6 900 2.2.14
> 800 intel 1600 2.2.16
>
> Why there is a exceptional behaviour of bogomips for 233 intel ?
> If there is some patch or changes then please indicate so that i can use
> it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ashish Gupta
>

> -

Prasanna Subash --- [email protected] --- TurboLinux, INC
Linux, the choice | I've got a COUSIN who works in the GARMENT
of a GNU generation -o) | DISTRICT ...
Kernel 2.4.0-ac4 /\\ |
on a i686 _\\_v |

(No filename) (1.29 kB)