2001-10-02 02:32:15

by Robert Love

Subject: ext3 0.9.10 for Alan's tree

Stephen, Andrew:

Alan has said recently that he would merge a newer ext3 soon as the
maintainer sends him such a patch, but no sooner. That was in response
to a few users asking why ext3 was "outdated" in his tree.

Attached is a patch against 2.4.10-ac3 of ext-0.9.9 + Ted's directory
speedup. Bringing 0.9.10 inline with Alan will take some VM work, but
this is a start.

I've been using it for some time, and I am sure you have proved it
stable. Can it be passed on to him?

Robert M. Love
rml at ufl.edu
rml at tech9.net

Attachments:
patch-rml-2.4.10-ac3-ext3-0.9.9-with-dir-speedup-1 (69.63 kB)

2001-10-02 04:46:47

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: ext3 0.9.10 for Alan's tree

Robert Love wrote:

> Stephen, Andrew:
>
> Alan has said recently that he would merge a newer ext3 soon as the
> maintainer sends him such a patch, but no sooner. That was in response
> to a few users asking why ext3 was "outdated" in his tree.

Yes, sorry. It's turning out to be a lot of work keeping the master
ext3 tree in sync with two (rather different) kernels, and running around
after all the changes which are happening in (ahem) one of them.

We prefer to test a lot before releasing, and the one time I skipped
that step was for 2.4.10, and it was the one which is broken. Sigh.

> Attached is a patch against 2.4.10-ac3 of ext-0.9.9 + Ted's directory
> speedup. Bringing 0.9.10 inline with Alan will take some VM work, but
> this is a start.

Rob, I've added this patch to the download site for interested parties
to use. http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/

But for a merge with Alan we do have a few more changes backed up,
and some more testing must be done. I'll try to prepare 0.9.11
for -ac this week. I'm inclined to down-tools on Linus kernels
for a while, wait for things to settle down there.

Thanks!

-

2001-10-02 05:24:19

by Robert Love

On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 00:46, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Yes, sorry. It's turning out to be a lot of work keeping the master
> ext3 tree in sync with two (rather different) kernels, and running around
> after all the changes which are happening in (ahem) one of them.

Don't explain that -- I know :) I think all of us are wanting a
single-tree development kernel about now...

> We prefer to test a lot before releasing, and the one time I skipped
> that step was for 2.4.10, and it was the one which is broken. Sigh.
>
> Rob, I've added this patch to the download site for interested parties
> to use. http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/

Great.

> But for a merge with Alan we do have a few more changes backed up,
> and some more testing must be done. I'll try to prepare 0.9.11
> for -ac this week. I'm inclined to down-tools on Linus kernels
> for a while, wait for things to settle down there.

I'll be happy to test and do anything else I can. Thanks for the reply
and all.

> Thanks!

You are welcome :)

--
Robert M. Love
rml at ufl.edu
rml at tech9.net

2001-10-02 06:06:43

by Frédéric L. W. Meunier

Andrew Morton wrote:

> We prefer to test a lot before releasing, and the one time I
> skipped that step was for 2.4.10, and it was the one which is
> broken. Sigh.

How broken ? I ask because I'm worried since I use it. Or
it's just the compilation problem with CONFIG_BUFFER_DEBUG
and nothing serious ?

PS: I don't see any other reports on ext3-users.

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org} Tel: 55-21-2717-2399 (Niter?i-RJ BR)

2001-10-02 06:12:03

by Andrew Morton

Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > We prefer to test a lot before releasing, and the one time I
> > skipped that step was for 2.4.10, and it was the one which is
> > broken. Sigh.
>
> How broken ? I ask because I'm worried since I use it. Or
> it's just the compilation problem with CONFIG_BUFFER_DEBUG
> and nothing serious ?

The utilities which go direct to the block device /dev/xxx
aren't working correctly - e2fsck, tune2fs, etc. The fs itself
is working OK.

2001-10-02 07:09:13

by David Hollister

Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
>

>>We prefer to test a lot before releasing, and the one time I
>>skipped that step was for 2.4.10, and it was the one which is
>>broken. Sigh.
>>

> How broken ? I ask because I'm worried since I use it. Or
> it's just the compilation problem with CONFIG_BUFFER_DEBUG
> and nothing serious ?
>
> PS: I don't see any other reports on ext3-users.

Granted, I'm no "power user", but I've been using it for several days now
without any noticable problem (other than what seems to be a possibly dying hard
drive... I occasionally get the same errors on 2.4.9 with ext3 and 2.2.19.

--
David Hollister
Driversoft Engineering: http://devicedrivers.com

2001-10-02 07:28:38

by sayamindu dasgupta

Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

>Andrew Morton wrote:
>

>>We prefer to test a lot before releasing, and the one time I
>>skipped that step was for 2.4.10, and it was the one which is
>>broken. Sigh.
>>

>How broken ? I ask because I'm worried since I use it. Or
>it's just the compilation problem with CONFIG_BUFFER_DEBUG
>and nothing serious ?
>
>PS: I don't see any other reports on ext3-users.

hello
i've been using it for a few weeks and i don't get any probs
cheers
Sayamindu
Support the SETI AT HOME project at http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

by Mike Fedyk

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 07:28:34AM +0000, sayamindu dasgupta wrote:
> Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> >Andrew Morton wrote:
> >

> >>We prefer to test a lot before releasing, and the one time I
> >>skipped that step was for 2.4.10, and it was the one which is
> >>broken. Sigh.
> >>

> >How broken ? I ask because I'm worried since I use it. Or
> >it's just the compilation problem with CONFIG_BUFFER_DEBUG
> >and nothing serious ?
> >
> >PS: I don't see any other reports on ext3-users.
>
> hello
> i've been using it for a few weeks and i don't get any probs
> cheers
> Sayamindu

I don't think so...

2.4.10-pre11 was only released ~1 week ago...

The only reports of problems have been for adding a journal to a mounted
filesystem on 2.4.10pre11+.

2001-10-02 18:36:20

by John Alvord

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:08:25 -0700, Mike Fedyk <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 07:28:34AM +0000, sayamindu dasgupta wrote:
>> Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

>> >How broken ? I ask because I'm worried since I use it. Or
>> >it's just the compilation problem with CONFIG_BUFFER_DEBUG
>> >and nothing serious ?
>> >
>> >PS: I don't see any other reports on ext3-users.
>>
>> hello
>> i've been using it for a few weeks and i don't get any probs
>> cheers
>> Sayamindu
>
>I don't think so...
>
>2.4.10-pre11 was only released ~1 week ago...

Wasn't there a big deal about having a common journalling service
before other journalling systems jumped into the pool?

john

2001-10-02 18:40:40

by Alan

> >2.4.10-pre11 was only released ~1 week ago...
> >
> Wasn't there a big deal about having a common journalling service
> before other journalling systems jumped into the pool?

Yes. The ext3 code adds a framework for that. It just took too longer to
get in before 2.4.0. Whether reiser and others use it now is an open
question. It should for example be enough to do journalling VFAT however ;)

Alan