2001-12-11 15:01:56

by Matt Dainty

Subject: aacraid success with 2.4.17-pre8. Intentional?

I've been trying to set up an HP NetRaid 4M controller, (aacraid), and I got
the familiar fsck hang with both the latest drivers provided by Matt Domsch,
and Alan Cox, under kernel 2.4.16.

I've just tried the latest 2.4.17-pre8 kernel, and it works, in that
it gets passed the fsck'ing. I couldn't see anything in the changelog that
screamed "Fix fsck hang with aacraid", so I was wondering if my working
setup is intentional or not? I haven't followed the development of this
driver too closely, I just had the card and downloaded the latest "stable"
release and went from there...

Searching the archives, I couldn't see anyone reporting a success with this
kernel and card combination, which worried me slightly. Have I got something
that will fall over if I sneeze near it? :-)

Cheers

Matt
--
"Phase plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Only what you see on the shelves, buddy"

2001-12-11 22:19:29

by Alan

Subject: Re: aacraid success with 2.4.17-pre8. Intentional?

> I've just tried the latest 2.4.17-pre8 kernel, and it works, in that
> it gets passed the fsck'ing. I couldn't see anything in the changelog that
> screamed "Fix fsck hang with aacraid", so I was wondering if my working
> setup is intentional or not? I haven't followed the development of this
> driver too closely, I just had the card and downloaded the latest "stable"
> release and went from there...

The later fixes I applied (and Matt Domsch's fixes too) don't really do
anything that would explain this.

Alan

2001-12-11 22:42:39

by Matt Dainty

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:28:40PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I've just tried the latest 2.4.17-pre8 kernel, and it works, in that
> > it gets passed the fsck'ing. I couldn't see anything in the changelog that
> > screamed "Fix fsck hang with aacraid", so I was wondering if my working
> > setup is intentional or not? I haven't followed the development of this
> > driver too closely, I just had the card and downloaded the latest "stable"
> > release and went from there...
>
> The later fixes I applied (and Matt Domsch's fixes too) don't really do
> anything that would explain this.

That was what I was afraid of. :-)

The only other kernel that I have tried was 2.4.7, from a Slackware 8.0
bootdisk, found at http://www.alphacent.com/opensource, which I needed to use
to be able to install the system. I then used this kernel as a temporary
measure for booting, no problems with it either, but I guess a lot has
changed since then...

Is there anything I can do to help? I can provide the kernel config if that
would be useful, (I can't get at it until tomorrow morning), which is the same
one I used on all three kernel builds. The box isn't in production use,
(funny, that), so I can run some tests if needs be.

Cheers

Matt
--
"Phase plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Only what you see on the shelves, buddy"

2001-12-11 22:53:39

by Alan

> Is there anything I can do to help? I can provide the kernel config if that
> would be useful, (I can't get at it until tomorrow morning), which is the same
> one I used on all three kernel builds. The box isn't in production use,
> (funny, that), so I can run some tests if needs be.

I guess beat it up hard with the 2.4.17pre tree including running graphical
stuff and see what happens. It could be your other problem was aacraid
triggering another bug thats been fixed.