2002-01-31 01:08:38

by Ro0tSiEgE

Subject: Kernel -- GCC Version

I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!

--Brad Parker

2002-01-31 01:21:10

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Subject: Re: Kernel -- GCC Version

Em Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 07:07:42PM -0600, Ro0tSiEgE escreveu:
> I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!

Read Documentation/Changes.

- Arnaldo

2002-01-31 01:20:58

by Robert Love

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 20:07, Ro0tSiEgE wrote:
> I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!

For the kernel you are interested in, look in Documentation/Changes

All the requirements are listed.

For current 2.4 kernels, 2.95.x is the minimum. 2.96 works great.

Robert Love

2002-01-31 01:24:09

by Dave Jones

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 07:07:42PM -0600, Ro0tSiEgE wrote:
> I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!

Top level README has this info, as does the Documentation/Changes file.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-01-31 01:35:30

by Wakko Warner

> I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!

I don't recommend gcc 3.0 for kernel compiles as I had problems with it on
the system I tried it on.

by Daniel Phillips

On January 31, 2002 02:37 am, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> > from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> > and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> > kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!
>
> I don't recommend gcc 3.0 for kernel compiles as I had problems with it on
> the system I tried it on.

What problem exactly? I've had zero problems in the last 5 months.

--
Daniel

2002-01-31 03:09:11

by David Ford

I've been building everything with 3.0.x and haven't had any problems,
half a dozen machines and several months running.

-d

Wakko Warner wrote:

>>I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
>>from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
>>and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
>>kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!
>>

>I don't recommend gcc 3.0 for kernel compiles as I had problems with it on
>the system I tried it on.

Attachments:
smime.p7s (3.19 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

2002-01-31 03:18:01

by Jeff Garzik

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:54:03AM +0100, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On January 31, 2002 02:37 am, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > > I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> > > from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> > > and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> > > kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!
> >
> > I don't recommend gcc 3.0 for kernel compiles as I had problems with it on
> > the system I tried it on.
>
> What problem exactly? I've had zero problems in the last 5 months.

Seconded, I've been using x86 custom-built kernels with gcc 3.0.3
for a few weeks, and IIRC the MDK kernel rpm boots for me on alpha too.

Jeff

2002-01-31 11:59:55

by Wakko Warner

> > > I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> > > from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> > > and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> > > kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!
> >
> > I don't recommend gcc 3.0 for kernel compiles as I had problems with it on
> > the system I tried it on.
>
> What problem exactly? I've had zero problems in the last 5 months.

I did get tons of warnings when compiling (I would assume everyone else
did). But I ignored those since it says "this is obsolete"

After booting, I had so many ECC errors (I don't recall if they were
correctable or not) that I had to give up on it.

Unless debian messedup the 3.0.3 compile it didn't work for me.