2002-02-15 11:09:28

by Jochen Suckfuell

Subject: sard patch for 2.4 - again

Hello!

I want to ask if the sard patch by Stephen Tweedie will be included into
future 2.4 kernels. This patch collects hard disk statistics that are
important figures on productive systems.

I work for a software company that uses Linux on most of the servers and
many desktops. We're very interested in these enhanced statistics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last release of the sard patch was for
2.4.0. In an src.rpm by Redhat I found a version of the patch that
applied to 2.4.18-pre7 (but still labeled 2.4.0). This updated patch
hasn't been mentioned on this list, and I didn't find it anywhere else
for download. But I'm sure that many others would be interested in this
patch.

Thanks,
Jochen Suckfuell

2002-02-15 19:43:05

by Pete Zaitcev

Subject: Re: sard patch for 2.4 - again

> I want to ask if the sard patch by Stephen Tweedie will be included into
> future 2.4 kernels. This patch collects hard disk statistics that are
> important figures on productive systems.
>[...]
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last release of the sard patch was for
> 2.4.0. In an src.rpm by Redhat I found a version of the patch that
> applied to 2.4.18-pre7 (but still labeled 2.4.0).

The filename does not matter. If it sits in an RPM, then it
is good for the version of base kernel that the RPM uses.
I know for the fact that Stephen updated it for cooperation
with add_gendisk/del_gendisk in 2.4.16, so the patch is
maintained actively. I would not worry about it, it's a good
patch.

-- Pete

2002-02-17 07:22:44

by Horst von Brand

Pete Zaitcev <[email protected]> said:

[...]

> The filename does not matter. If it sits in an RPM, then it
> is good for the version of base kernel that the RPM uses.
> I know for the fact that Stephen updated it for cooperation
> with add_gendisk/del_gendisk in 2.4.16, so the patch is
> maintained actively. I would not worry about it, it's a good
> patch.

Whenever I udpdate a patch for a newer base version in the RPMs I build for
my own amusement I take care to change to filename.
--
Horst von Brand http://counter.li.org # 22616