2002-04-27 17:18:23

by Christoph Lameter

Subject: 2.5.10-dj1 compilation failure

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.5.8/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer
-pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=k6 -nostdinc -I
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4/include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ide_scsi -c
-o ide-scsi.o ide-scsi.c
ide-scsi.c:837: unknown field `abort' specified in initializer
ide-scsi.c:837: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
ide-scsi.c:838: unknown field `reset' specified in initializer
ide-scsi.c:838: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[3]: *** [ide-scsi.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.5.8/drivers/scsi'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.5.8/drivers/scsi'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_scsi] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.5.8/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

2002-04-27 17:25:01

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: 2.5.10-dj1 compilation failure

http://lwn.net/daily/2.5.10-dj1-scsi.php3

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-04-27 17:35:59

by Christoph Lameter

That stuff might be useful in a CVS or BK() source code archive.
What is the purpose of releasing a kernel tarball that does not compile?
Kernel tarball are there to be compiled and tried out ....

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 10:18:20AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > ide-scsi.c:837: unknown field `abort' specified in initializer
> > ide-scsi.c:837: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
> > ide-scsi.c:838: unknown field `reset' specified in initializer
> > ide-scsi.c:838: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
>
> http://lwn.net/daily/2.5.10-dj1-scsi.php3

2002-04-27 17:47:30

by Dave Jones

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 10:35:55AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> That stuff might be useful in a CVS or BK() source code archive.
> What is the purpose of releasing a kernel tarball that does not compile?
> Kernel tarball are there to be compiled and tried out ....

Because we've gone ~7 full point releases with no updates to the
error handling of some drivers. Whilst it seems some maintainers are
waiting until the block layer and scsi midlayer frobbing settle down,
running these drivers without /any/ error handling is a disaster
waiting to happen.

Experiments with new filesystem features is going to be tricky to debug
if the scsi drivers are untrustable.

If the maintainers want to continue to wait for 2.5 to settle down,
this at least points those interested in getting their hands dirty
and fix the problem themselves to the parts that need work.

I debated adding this as a CONFIG_DEBUG_BROKEN_SCSI_DRIVERS or similar
when Christoph first sent me the patch. Given how many reports of
"xxx being broken" I've had, I'm tempted to do that for -dj2.

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-04-27 17:50:59

by Anton Altaparmakov

At 18:35 27/04/02, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>That stuff might be useful in a CVS or BK() source code archive.
>What is the purpose of releasing a kernel tarball that does not compile?
>Kernel tarball are there to be compiled and tried out ....

You have that slightly wrong.

First, this is a development kernel, i.e. using it means it may not
compile, it may not work, or worse, it may destroy all your data.

Second, the kernel compiles fine as long as you don't make use of any of
the currently broken features. A blank statement "the kernel doesn't
compile" is more often then not incorrect and should say "the kernel
doesn't compile with my .config" instead.

The developmental kernel series is for that... Just as the block layer was
"flaky" while Jens was working on it in early 2.5.x and just as IDE is
"flaky" at the moment, now scsi is joining the club. (-;

If you want kernels that will compile and work you should be using 2.4.x or
2.2.x kernels...

Best regards,

Anton

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Dave Jones wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 10:18:20AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > > ide-scsi.c:837: unknown field `abort' specified in initializer
> > > ide-scsi.c:837: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
> > > ide-scsi.c:838: unknown field `reset' specified in initializer
> > > ide-scsi.c:838: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
> >
> > http://lwn.net/daily/2.5.10-dj1-scsi.php3
>
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
--
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cantab.net> (replace at with @)
Linux NTFS Maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.openprojects.net

2002-04-27 18:08:14

by Jerry McBride

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:35:55 -0700 (PDT) Christoph Lameter
<[email protected]> wrote:

> That stuff might be useful in a CVS or BK() source code archive.
> What is the purpose of releasing a kernel tarball that does not compile?
> Kernel tarball are there to be compiled and tried out ....

MAN! You said a mouth full. I've found syntax errors, misspellings and
just plain old junk text in the make files of 2.5.10.

I appreciate the efforts going into the new kernel tree. I really look
forward to it becoming main stream... but MY GOD, at least I wish they
would try to compile the thing BEFORE it gets posted for download!

***** Registered Linux User Number 185956
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
2:04pm up 45 days, 19:20, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

2002-04-27 19:17:24

by Rik van Riel

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Jerry McBride wrote:

> I appreciate the efforts going into the new kernel tree. I really look
> forward to it becoming main stream... but MY GOD, at least I wish they
> would try to compile the thing BEFORE it gets posted for download!

Who exactly are "they" ?

And could "they" try to compile the kernel before being able
to download it ?

regards,

Rik

by Larry McVoy

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:09:50PM -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:35:55 -0700 (PDT) Christoph Lameter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > That stuff might be useful in a CVS or BK() source code archive.
> > What is the purpose of releasing a kernel tarball that does not compile?
> > Kernel tarball are there to be compiled and tried out ....
>
> MAN! You said a mouth full. I've found syntax errors, misspellings and
> just plain old junk text in the make files of 2.5.10.
>
> I appreciate the efforts going into the new kernel tree. I really look
> forward to it becoming main stream... but MY GOD, at least I wish they
> would try to compile the thing BEFORE it gets posted for download!

I appreciate your efforts at being a considerate human being.
I really look forward to you becoming part of the pleasant set of human
beings... but MY GOD, at least I wish you would do some work yourself
BEFORE posting a complaint!
--
---

by Martin Dalecki

Uz.ytkownik Dave Jones napisa?:

> I debated adding this as a CONFIG_DEBUG_BROKEN_SCSI_DRIVERS or similar
> when Christoph first sent me the patch. Given how many reports of
> "xxx being broken" I've had, I'm tempted to do that for -dj2.

Flagging them in the leading commant with somthing
along

/* XXX FIXME: please convert this to the new eh handling */

would be helpfull as well. It saves you the reversion of
the aformentioned config option.