2002-07-09 05:41:46

by Michael Gruner

Subject: freezing afer switching from graphical to console

Hi,

since 2.4.17 I have got a problem: trying to switch from graphical
screen to console or to stop my X-session my box freezes. The screen
gets black and nothing more happens. Pressing any keys or trying to
switch to another console the box does not do anything. Only o cold
restart brings the box up again.

Hardware is a MSI6126 with a 440bx chipset. The processor is a 400 MHZ
Celeron on a MS6905 ppga 370 to slot 1 cpu converter. In former times
there were 256MB RAM in there but I got a lot of segfaults during
compiling the kernel. So i removed 128MB and now compiling runs fine.
So I don't think it might be a hardware failure?!

Problems had be seen very often with kernel 2.4.18, now with 2.4.19-rc1
not as often as before. That means: it happens maybe 1 or 2 times a
week. The box is shutted down every day.

Are there any hints for solving this problem?

best regards,
Michael
--
Windmuehlenweg 22 07907 Schleiz
mobil: +491628955029

by Eric Altendorf

On Monday 08 July 2002 22:38, Michael Gruner wrote:
> since 2.4.17 I have got a problem: trying to switch from graphical
> screen to console or to stop my X-session my box freezes. The
> screen gets black and nothing more happens. Pressing any keys or
> trying to switch to another console the box does not do anything.

I don't have this problem on 2.4.18, but I did on 2.5 kernels. On my
box, it had something to do with the display manager (kdmh). When I
boot to runlevel 3 and run startx manually (without kdm) I have no
virtual console problems. That's my workaround for now.

I don't know what causes the problem. If anyone else has an idea to
share, that'd be great.

viel glueck,

eric

--
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. And then you win." -Gandhi

2002-07-09 06:29:22

by Eric Altendorf

On Monday 08 July 2002 23:30, Eric Altendorf wrote:
> my box, it had something to do with the display manager (kdmh).
^^^^
Sorry, yes, that was a typo. I meant kdm.

eric

2002-07-09 09:57:16

by Bongani Hlope

> Hi,
>
> since 2.4.17 I have got a problem: trying to switch from graphical
> screen to console or to stop my X-session my box freezes. The screen
> gets black and nothing more happens. Pressing any keys or trying to

This only happens to me if I load the NVidia drivers if you are using
them that could be you
problem.

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail.
JUST LIKE THAT
Are you ready for 10-digit dialling on the 8th of May?
To find out how this will affect your Internet connection go to http://www.mweb.co.za/ten
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/

2002-07-09 10:24:37

by Bernd Schubert

Hi,

we have seen it, too. Seems to be graphics card dependend (ati ones are not
effected, but nvidia cards are ) and what powersaving mode is enabled in the
BIOS (Suspend for the Monitor causes a lock up when switching from X to the
console, but when using VSync/empty screen (or something like this) all works
fine).

Bernd

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 07:38, Michael Gruner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since 2.4.17 I have got a problem: trying to switch from graphical
> screen to console or to stop my X-session my box freezes. The screen
> gets black and nothing more happens. Pressing any keys or trying to
> switch to another console the box does not do anything. Only o cold
> restart brings the box up again.
>
> Hardware is a MSI6126 with a 440bx chipset. The processor is a 400 MHZ
> Celeron on a MS6905 ppga 370 to slot 1 cpu converter. In former times
> there were 256MB RAM in there but I got a lot of segfaults during
> compiling the kernel. So i removed 128MB and now compiling runs fine.
> So I don't think it might be a hardware failure?!
>
> Problems had be seen very often with kernel 2.4.18, now with 2.4.19-rc1
> not as often as before. That means: it happens maybe 1 or 2 times a
> week. The box is shutted down every day.
>
> Are there any hints for solving this problem?
>
> best regards,
> Michael

2002-07-09 15:37:12

by Stephen Clark

[email protected] wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>since 2.4.17 I have got a problem: trying to switch from graphical
>>screen to console or to stop my X-session my box freezes. The screen
>>gets black and nothing more happens. Pressing any keys or trying to
>>

>This only happens to me if I load the NVidia drivers if you are using
>them that could be you
>problem.

>This message was sent using M-Web Airmail.
>JUST LIKE THAT
>Are you ready for 10-digit dialling on the 8th of May?
>To find out how this will affect your Internet connection go to http://www.mweb.co.za/ten
>http://airmail.mweb.co.za/
>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

I am also having this problem with an ATI r128 card and KDM. I found that by
setting:

TerminateServer=true

in the kdmrc file helped a lot.

HTH,
Steve

2002-07-09 16:42:43

by Michael Gruner

Hi,

ok, did it as you say: in the BIOS I switched to Vsync/blank screen.
Let's see what happens.

BTW: My graphics card isn't a nvidia as many of you suggested but an ATI
Rage pro (what did you wrote Bernd? ;-) ).

Another interesting thing I got back in mind today was: one day my XMMS
played a mp3 song and I switched to console (oooops...you know what
happend) but the song kept on playing in a loop that was some
milliseconds until I powered the box off. I don't know what to think
about that.

best regards,
michael

--
Windmuehlenweg 22 07907 Schleiz
mobil: +491628955029
e-Mail: [email protected]

by Joseph Pingenot

>From Michael Gruner on Tuesday, 09 July, 2002:
>Hi,
>ok, did it as you say: in the BIOS I switched to Vsync/blank screen.
>Let's see what happens.
>BTW: My graphics card isn't a nvidia as many of you suggested but an ATI
>Rage pro (what did you wrote Bernd? ;-) ).
>Another interesting thing I got back in mind today was: one day my XMMS
>played a mp3 song and I switched to console (oooops...you know what
>happend) but the song kept on playing in a loop that was some
>milliseconds until I powered the box off. I don't know what to think
>about that.

I've seen the same thing on my ATI XPert@Play (Rage Pro chipset). At
2.4.17, it was a risky proposition to switch between X and a text VC.
It's better in 2.4.18, although not much (I believe. I may be wrong).
I have happend upon a situation a number of times where, when switching
from X to a text VC, the machine "locks up", but CTRL-F7 (the X VC) will
get me back to a working X login screen (KDM), at least for a while. If
I keep trying to switch to a text VC (which never works), it eventually
fully locks up, to the point where I have to pull the plug, since the on
switch is non-responsive. If I tell it to shut down, it gets *most* of
the way through before carping out and locking up fully.
I don't *believe* I've seen this in 2.5.x, although I may be wrong.

-Joseph
--
Joseph======================================================jap3003@ksu.edu
"We're moving toward a world where all the capabilities of the Internet are

2002-07-09 19:44:03

by Michael Gruner

Subject: how to debug it?

> >ok, did it as you say: in the BIOS I switched to Vsync/blank screen.
> >Let's see what happens.
> >BTW: My graphics card isn't a nvidia as many of you suggested but an ATI
> >Rage pro (what did you wrote Bernd? ;-) ).
> >Another interesting thing I got back in mind today was: one day my XMMS
> >played a mp3 song and I switched to console (oooops...you know what
> >happend) but the song kept on playing in a loop that was some
> >milliseconds until I powered the box off. I don't know what to think
> >about that.
>
> I've seen the same thing on my ATI XPert@Play (Rage Pro chipset). At
> 2.4.17, it was a risky proposition to switch between X and a text VC.
> It's better in 2.4.18, although not much (I believe. I may be wrong).
> I have happend upon a situation a number of times where, when switching
> from X to a text VC, the machine "locks up", but CTRL-F7 (the X VC) will
> get me back to a working X login screen (KDM), at least for a while. If
> I keep trying to switch to a text VC (which never works), it eventually
> fully locks up, to the point where I have to pull the plug, since the on
> switch is non-responsive. If I tell it to shut down, it gets *most* of
> the way through before carping out and locking up fully.
> I don't *believe* I've seen this in 2.5.x, although I may be wrong.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get it out of the stable tree?
Or is it better to try to live with it and wait for getting 2.5 the
stable tree?

Is there a howto to get this debugged? Looking into /var/log/messages
there are no messages that could point out that bad thing.

michael