2002-09-06 23:50:04

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Disabled kernel.org accounts

I have disabled several kernel.org accounts due to bouncing email.
If you have a kernel.org account and you can no longer log in, please
contact me and provide an updated, *working* email.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2002-09-07 00:02:46

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: Disabled kernel.org accounts

On 6 Sep 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I have disabled several kernel.org accounts due to bouncing email.
> If you have a kernel.org account and you can no longer log in, please
> contact me and provide an updated, *working* email.

Would that have something to do with the fact that master.kernel.org
is in SPEWS, BLARS and XBL (well, nobody uses XBL of course ...)

http://spews.org/ask.cgi?S343
http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html?64.158.222.226

regards,

Rik

Spamtraps of the month: [email protected] [email protected]

2002-09-07 00:05:14

by H. Peter Anvin

Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>

>>I have disabled several kernel.org accounts due to bouncing email.
>>If you have a kernel.org account and you can no longer log in, please
>>contact me and provide an updated, *working* email.
>

> Would that have something to do with the fact that master.kernel.org
> is in SPEWS, BLARS and XBL (well, nobody uses XBL of course ...)
>
> http://spews.org/ask.cgi?S343
> http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html?64.158.222.226

In the case of at least one account, yes. I just put up the following
blurb to explain why that is, since it's becoming an FAQ:

linux.kernel.org, our mailing list server, keeps getting listed in the
SPEWS RBL due to numerical proximity with an alleged spammer. We have
pointed this out to them on several occations, and they usually fix it
-- but a couple of weeks later we find the same problem. For obvious
reasons, we do not recommend that you use the SPEWS RBL or any site that
derive from their information, including relays.osirusoft.com; see this
page.

Please note that The Kernel Dot Org Organization do not endorse or
support spam in any shape, way or form, and certainly do not recognize
any sort of "right to spam." Spam is at the very least offensive and
more often than not fraudulent, theft of service and invasion of
privacy. We appreciate that it's a hard and thankless job to run after
spammers, and appreciate the services that well-run RBL services provide.

-hpa

2002-09-07 00:10:07

by Rik van Riel

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > Would that have something to do with the fact that master.kernel.org
> > is in SPEWS, BLARS and XBL (well, nobody uses XBL of course ...)
> >
> > http://spews.org/ask.cgi?S343
> > http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html?64.158.222.226
>
> In the case of at least one account, yes. I just put up the following
> blurb to explain why that is, since it's becoming an FAQ:
>
> linux.kernel.org, our mailing list server, keeps getting listed in the
> SPEWS RBL due to numerical proximity with an alleged spammer. We have
> pointed this out to them on several occations, and they usually fix it

The SPEWS listing looks correct ...

> Please note that The Kernel Dot Org Organization do not endorse or
> support spam in any shape, way or form,

... but you would, if you were a paying customer of the ISP.

> and certainly do not recognize any sort of "right to spam."

Being a blacklist operator myself (DSBL http://dsbl.org) I
may surprise you that I _do_ think spammers have a right of
free speech and a right to spam. It's just that I also think
nobody has an obligation to listen, everybody can accept or
deny any email they want for any random reason .. after all,
if it's your mail server, you get to decide what to do with
your private property.

regards,

Rik

Spamtraps of the month: [email protected] [email protected]

2002-09-07 00:15:52

by H. Peter Anvin

Rik van Riel wrote:

> The SPEWS listing looks correct ...

Except, at the very least, the netmask. I have also been unable to
verify a DNS server operating at the claimed address when I have poked
at it.

>>Please note that The Kernel Dot Org Organization do not endorse or
>>support spam in any shape, way or form,
>
> ... but you would, if you were a paying customer of the ISP.

We are living on donated bandwidth, which is hard enough to get. I have
complained to our sponsor in the hope that they will complain to the
ISP, but you can imagine how well that goes over. I can't do much.

>>and certainly do not recognize any sort of "right to spam."
>
> Being a blacklist operator myself (DSBL http://dsbl.org) I
> may surprise you that I _do_ think spammers have a right of
> free speech and a right to spam. It's just that I also think
> nobody has an obligation to listen, everybody can accept or
> deny any email they want for any random reason .. after all,
> if it's your mail server, you get to decide what to do with
> your private property.

I would agree with you, *if* I could put "[NO UCE]" in my SMTP server
banner and have the spammers disconnect. As it is, they are wasting my
time, resources, and again, mostly to commit crimes (fraud, theft of
service, ...)

-hpa

2002-09-07 00:47:52

by Rik van Riel

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> >>Please note that The Kernel Dot Org Organization do not endorse or
> >>support spam in any shape, way or form,
> >
> > ... but you would, if you were a paying customer of the ISP.
>
> We are living on donated bandwidth, which is hard enough to get. I have
> complained to our sponsor in the hope that they will complain to the
> ISP, but you can imagine how well that goes over. I can't do much.

Agreed, you're in a nasty position. Basically your only hopes are
that (1) Level3 stops actively protecting spammers and kicks them
from their network or (2) your sponsor moves to an ISP that isn't
spam friendly or (3) another sponsor pops up out of the blue.

Until then I wouldn't worry about it and maybe send out the mail
via vger ?

regards,

Rik

Spamtraps of the month: [email protected] [email protected]

2002-09-09 05:10:45

by Keith Owens

On 6 Sep 2002 16:54:17 -0700,
"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have disabled several kernel.org accounts due to bouncing email.
>If you have a kernel.org account and you can no longer log in, please
>contact me and provide an updated, *working* email.

It does not help when 63.209.4.196 does not have a valid reverse DNS.
Some sites recognize it as neon-gw-l3.transmeta.com but four different
sites in USA and AUS cannot do a reverse lookup on 63.209.4.196. That
makes you look like just another level3 spammer.

Keith Owens <[email protected]> writes:

>On 6 Sep 2002 16:54:17 -0700,
>"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I have disabled several kernel.org accounts due to bouncing email.
>>If you have a kernel.org account and you can no longer log in, please
>>contact me and provide an updated, *working* email.

>It does not help when 63.209.4.196 does not have a valid reverse DNS.
>Some sites recognize it as neon-gw-l3.transmeta.com but four different
>sites in USA and AUS cannot do a reverse lookup on 63.209.4.196. That
>makes you look like just another level3 spammer.

Well, the reason for this are missing NS records:

% whois [email protected]
[whois.arin.net]

OrgName: Level 3 Communications, Inc.
OrgID: LVLT

NetRange: 63.208.0.0 - 63.215.255.255
CIDR: 63.208.0.0/13
NetName: LEVEL4-CIDR
NetHandle: NET-63-208-0-0-1
Parent: NET-63-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.LEVEL3.NET
NameServer: NS2.LEVEL3.NET

% dig @ns1.level3.net -x 63.209.4.196
[... no answer ...]

% dig @ns2.level3.net -x 63.209.4.196
[... no answer ...]

Go figure.

ARIN itself says:

% dig @ARROWROOT.ARIN.NET -x 63.209
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
209.63.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN NS NS1.LEVEL3.net.
209.63.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN NS NS2.LEVEL3.net.

% dig @ns1.level3.net -x 63.209
[... no answer ...]

% dig @ns2.level3.net -x 63.209
[... no answer ...]

So they're a really, really crappy ISP. Maybe they're cheap so
everyone uses them...

Regards
Henning
--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH [email protected]

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 [email protected]
D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

2002-09-10 09:07:35

by Russell King

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:11:00AM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Well, the reason for this are missing NS records:

Works fine for me.

> So they're a really, really crappy ISP. Maybe they're cheap so
> everyone uses them...

Actually, its a result of new bind9 behaviour. Previous versions of
bind used the glue records from the upper level DNS servers. bind9
no longer trusts this glue information and will go looking for the
records in the right zone.

I've been bitten by this when trying to mail someone (their domain
had the NS records but not the corresponding A records for their name
servers.) BTinternet have also been bitten by this when they upgraded
to bind9. Welcome to bind9. 8)

And the annoying thing is that people running the domains with the
problems will normally point you at some web based DNS checker that
only tests for half the things it should do, and they completely
believe its output as being 100% correct. The typical response you
get is "It passes http://www.xyz.com's DNS tests, its your problem."

Its in the same problem space as getting everyone to accept ICMP
fragmentation needed messages, or getting ECN to work.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by john slee

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 10:12:15AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> Its in the same problem space as getting everyone to accept ICMP
> fragmentation needed messages, or getting ECN to work.

wanna buy some pipe sections?

j.

--
toyota power: http://indigoid.net/