2002-09-13 17:35:00

by Jim Sibley

Subject: [No Subject]

First, please change your replies to me to [email protected] and drop
the IBM address. Some of my replies may not reflect IBM's position.

Also please drop the LTC address in your replies. I'm told that the address is
not a
place to discuss issues like this. So much for monolithic turf wars.

Anyway, back to the important stuff.

GID might be sufficient if you reserve some GID for resource balancing and use
the /proc interface to update it.

As Thunder has pointed out, what do you do when all thatis left is critical
system stuff?

What I wouldn't want to see is a cumbersome workload manager ala zOS that
might consume as much resources as its tring to manage. Nor should the
solution be too extotic that other Unix might adopt.

2002-09-13 18:02:27

by Jesse Pollard

Subject: Re: [No Subject]

On Friday 13 September 2002 12:39 pm, Jim Sibley wrote:
> First, please change your replies to me to [email protected] and drop
> the IBM address. Some of my replies may not reflect IBM's position.
>
> Also please drop the LTC address in your replies. I'm told that the address
> is not a
> place to discuss issues like this. So much for monolithic turf wars.
>
> Anyway, back to the important stuff.
>
> GID might be sufficient if you reserve some GID for resource balancing and
> use the /proc interface to update it.

Only when a process can have one gid.

This usually means a single user/application system, in which case you
still can't determine which process to kill since they are all in the same
group.

Most production shops I have worked in requires multiple groups per user,
which gets translated into multiple GIDs per process. This defeats your
use of GIDs for resource allocation.

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: [email protected]

by Arnulfo Titor

Hello,

If you want PROMPT assets to utilize ANY
way you feel like, or sincerely feel like to LOWER
your premiums by 25% or more;

Here are the offers We have ASAP :

lNTEREST-OnIy : $ 564K @ UNDER 477 a month
VARlABLE : $ 556K at BELOW 453 each month

http://foigbil.com/9r

Rush, these proposals will end in 24 hours

Thanks Alot,
Arnulfo Titor