2002-12-15 07:05:00

by Colin Paul Adams

Subject: Alcatel speedtouch USB driver and SMP.

Can anyone tell me if the speedtouch driver is SMP safe yet?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

2002-12-15 07:53:21

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: Alcatel speedtouch USB driver and SMP.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:10:33AM +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the speedtouch driver is SMP safe yet?

Which driver? I know of at least 3 different ones :(

greg k-h

2002-12-15 08:52:42

by Colin Paul Adams

Greg> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:10:33AM +0000, Colin Paul Adams
Greg> wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me if the speedtouch driver is SMP safe yet?

Greg> Which driver? I know of at least 3 different ones :(

drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c

Where are the others?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

2002-12-16 05:07:16

by Greg KH

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 08:58:14AM +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

> Greg> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:10:33AM +0000, Colin Paul Adams
> Greg> wrote:
> >> Can anyone tell me if the speedtouch driver is SMP safe yet?
>
> Greg> Which driver? I know of at least 3 different ones :(
>
> drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c

Ah good, you're using one that the source is available for :)
I think the developer has said it will work on SMP machines, but what
problems are you having, and have you asked the author of the code?

> Where are the others?

I don't know, but I know they are out there...

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-12-16 11:58:34

by Andrew McGregor

There's a binary only one from Alcatel themselves, which only works on one
2.2 kernel and one (old) 2.4 kernel, the other is on SourceForge, and is
also GPL.

Andrew, who's just set up one himself on 2.4 and will try 2.5 when enough
else behaves.

--On Sunday, December 15, 2002 21:13:00 -0800 Greg KH <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Greg> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:10:33AM +0000, Colin Paul Adams
>>
>> Greg> Which driver? I know of at least 3 different ones :(
>>
>> drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c
>
> Ah good, you're using one that the source is available for :)
> I think the developer has said it will work on SMP machines, but what
> problems are you having, and have you asked the author of the code?
>
>> Where are the others?
>
> I don't know, but I know they are out there...
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h
> -

by Colin Paul Adams

>> drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c

Greg> Ah good, you're using one that the source is available for
Greg> :) I think the developer has said it will work on SMP
Greg> machines, but what problems are you having, and have you
Greg> asked the author of the code?

I haven't any problems yet, as I haven't bought the modem yet. I don't
want to if it is going to give me problems.

The 1.4 version of the driver (before integration into 2.5 series
kernel), is supposed to not work with SMP kernels (that's why I asked
in the first place). So I contacted the author (Johan Verrept) to ask on the status,
and he said he thought it was probably OK now, as it was in the 2.5
kernel.

So I grabbed the 2.5.51 sources and looked at the see, and could see
no mention of a change to fix SMP. So I then contacted Richard Purdie,
who was the last person to make a change to the source. He said he
didn't know.

So, is anyone using it on SMP?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

2002-12-17 09:57:57

by Andrew McGregor

The 2.5 tree one works for me *with PPPoATM*, which I gather is kind of a
rare setup.

Andrew

--On Tuesday, December 17, 2002 00:57:32 +1300 Andrew McGregor
<[email protected]> wrote:

> There's a binary only one from Alcatel themselves, which only works on
> one 2.2 kernel and one (old) 2.4 kernel, the other is on SourceForge, and
> is also GPL.
>
> Andrew, who's just set up one himself on 2.4 and will try 2.5 when enough
> else behaves.
>
> --On Sunday, December 15, 2002 21:13:00 -0800 Greg KH <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>> Greg> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:10:33AM +0000, Colin Paul Adams
>>>
>>> Greg> Which driver? I know of at least 3 different ones :(
>>>
>>> drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c
>>
>> Ah good, you're using one that the source is available for :)
>> I think the developer has said it will work on SMP machines, but what
>> problems are you having, and have you asked the author of the code?
>>
>>> Where are the others?
>>
>> I don't know, but I know they are out there...
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
>> in the body of a message to [email protected]
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>

> -

by Alex Bennee

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 10:02, Andrew McGregor wrote:
> The 2.5 tree one works for me *with PPPoATM*, which I gather is kind of a
> rare setup.
>
> Andrew

Not that rare, pppoa is quite common in Europe setups. FWIW there is now
a pppoe patch available for the user-mode driver (speedtouch.sf.net) so
if you have any problems with the kernel mode drivers you have a
fall-back position.

--
Alex Bennee
Senior Hacker, Braddahead Ltd

2002-12-17 19:52:00

by Max Krasnyansky

At 09:02 AM 12/16/2002 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> >> drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c
>
> Greg> Ah good, you're using one that the source is available for
> Greg> :) I think the developer has said it will work on SMP
> Greg> machines, but what problems are you having, and have you
> Greg> asked the author of the code?
>
>I haven't any problems yet, as I haven't bought the modem yet. I don't
>want to if it is going to give me problems.
>
>The 1.4 version of the driver (before integration into 2.5 series
>kernel), is supposed to not work with SMP kernels (that's why I asked
>in the first place). So I contacted the author (Johan Verrept) to ask on the status,
>and he said he thought it was probably OK now, as it was in the 2.5
>kernel.
>
>So I grabbed the 2.5.51 sources and looked at the see, and could see
>no mention of a change to fix SMP. So I then contacted Richard Purdie,
>who was the last person to make a change to the source. He said he
>didn't know.
>
>So, is anyone using it on SMP?
I was, until I got Bluetooth DSL access point :).

I used to have PPPoE setup with Speedtouch modem on my Dual Athlon box. It was running
2.4.18 at that time. Most of the SMP problems were in the ATM code. I fixed some of them
and my patches went into 2.4.19. I did some hack to the driver itself but those
were minor.

Max

2002-12-17 22:12:27

by Francois Romieu

Colin Paul Adams <[email protected]> :
[...]
> So, is anyone using it on SMP?

drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c::udsl_atm_ioctl() calls put_user() and
atm ioctls are issued with spinlock held (see net/atm/common.c::atm_ioctl()).

--
Ueimor

2002-12-18 11:07:14

by Oliver Neukum

Am Dienstag, 17. Dezember 2002 23:20 schrieb [email protected]:
> Colin Paul Adams <[email protected]> :
> [...]
>
> > So, is anyone using it on SMP?
>
> drivers/usb/misc/speedtouch.c::udsl_atm_ioctl() calls put_user() and
> atm ioctls are issued with spinlock held (see
> net/atm/common.c::atm_ioctl()).

Correct. As far as that is concerned the ATM layer is utter crap.

Regards
Oliver