2003-01-25 02:26:35

by Stefan Smietanowski

Subject: BIOS setup needed for LBA48?

Hi.

Let's assume a certain IDE controller does LBA48.

Let's at the same time assume the BIOS doesn't know jack
about LBA48.

Let's then assume that I can get a kernel to boot on it,
what method I use doesn't matter. The BIOS doesn't lock up
or anything but it doesn't use more than the fabled 137GB.

Can the Linux Kernel then use the full drive (160GB/250GB/whatever)
even though the BIOS doesn't? (LBA48)

That's question number 1.

Question 2: Does the nForce chipset handle LBA48?

They are related but please answer question 1 even if question 2
is "no" :)

I tried looking for the answers myself but couldn't find a definite
answer. If it's plain in sight somewhere, please point me in the right
direction.

// Stefan

2003-01-25 14:19:39

by Andries Brouwer

Subject: Re: BIOS setup needed for LBA48?

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 03:34:24AM +0100, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

> Can the Linux Kernel use the full drive (160GB/250GB/whatever)
> even though the BIOS doesn't? (LBA48)

Usually, yes.

2003-01-25 15:05:13

by Stefan Smietanowski

>>Can the Linux Kernel use the full drive (160GB/250GB/whatever)
>>even though the BIOS doesn't? (LBA48)
>
> Usually, yes.

Is there anything that could make "usually, yes" become a "no"?

// Stefan

2003-01-25 15:23:38

by John Bradford

> >>Can the Linux Kernel use the full drive (160GB/250GB/whatever)
> >>even though the BIOS doesn't? (LBA48)
> >
> > Usually, yes.
>
> Is there anything that could make "usually, yes" become a "no"?

Usually no.

:-)

John.

2003-01-25 15:50:16

by Andre Hedrick

Yes, if the host controller can not handle the double pump for dma
operations. Disable DMA int it has to work. If it does not, you have a
nice pile of junk, and it should be come a door.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

> >>Can the Linux Kernel use the full drive (160GB/250GB/whatever)
> >>even though the BIOS doesn't? (LBA48)
> >
> > Usually, yes.
>
> Is there anything that could make "usually, yes" become a "no"?
>
> // Stefan
>
> -

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2003-01-25 21:11:26

by Andrzej Krzysztofowicz

> Yes, if the host controller can not handle the double pump for dma
> operations. Disable DMA int it has to work. If it does not, you have a
> nice pile of junk, and it should be come a door.

Shouldn't the driver disable DMA automatically (not allow to enable it) ?
Driver knows the controller type, knows the disk size ...

Or is it not so simple ?

> > > Usually, yes.
> >
> > Is there anything that could make "usually, yes" become a "no"?

Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz [email protected]
phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math., Gdansk University of Technology

2003-01-25 23:32:10

by Andre Hedrick

Well doors may know this but the door-stop does not. The driver has no
clue currently and so we are back to a pig in a poke. I have never run
48-bit on AMD, and iirc NFORCE is a step-child of AMD.

It has everything to do with the DMA engine in the ASIC going south.

Cheers,