2003-01-28 15:18:30

by Raphael Schmid

Subject: AW: Bootscreen

> > Sure some of the kernel's output could be cleaned up a
> > little, but for the most part its not "geeky" - its useful and
> > informative.
> They are geeky, but useful - If you got a system that causes trouble.
> Otherwise, if your system works right, they are just some more bits
> flickering on your screen.
I was the one who began with "geeky". Sorry for that, was probably a
bit ... well, strong.

> Why oh why do we always need to compare ourselfes to Windows. "Windows
> does this, windows does that" Whatever.. that is of no relevance. And if
> it was QNX or RTOS we are cloning and the thing we cloned is a good
> idea, what shalls...? It seems to me that everything that lacks the
> status quo in kernel message visability is a windows clone?
That what I wanted to say with "Can we get rid of the "stupid guy who's
trying to clone Windows" dogma, please?". Yours are more appropriate words.

2003-01-29 11:56:34

by Raphael Schmid

Subject: RE: AW: Bootscreen

> Right.
>
> Q: It hangs when booting! Just get to see the cute penguin
> (whatshisnameagain?)
>
> A: What version of Linux? What exactly did the bird do before hanging?
BTW,
> his (her?) name is Tux
>
> Q: Oh, yo mean like $BIG_DISTRO 10.7.3? Yep, Tux winked.
>
> A. No, the kernel version... [longish explanation deleted]. And exactly
how
> many times did he wink? Which wings? Did he waddle about? How many
> steps? Did he blink? Did you install wink-blink-boot version 27.3, or
> are you still with the older one?

C'moon! It'd make IT so much more interesting and fun!
Think of all the increased communication skills mankind
would develop through this!

Seriously, *laughs*, I don't think debugging user problems
would escalate into such a scenario. Let me again point out
my proposal:

There is *one* line of boot messages shown. Whenever the
System hangs, you will see the last message. Carefully
designed messages will greatly help, of course.

- Raphael

2003-01-29 12:33:42

by Tomas Szepe

> [[email protected]]
>
> There is *one* line of boot messages shown. Whenever the
> System hangs, you will see the last message. Carefully
> designed messages will greatly help, of course.

This whole idea has been vetoed and scrapped a great many
times before, and for very valid reasons. Read the archives
and respect the conclusions drawn.

If you can't live w/o a fancy penguin logo and a progress bar,
hack the silly thing for yourself and don't bother others with it.

Ideas like yours remind me just how GREAT it is that Linus is
so hard to get to accept patches. People are constantly trying
to get such a tremendous quantity of absolute junk into the
tree that it ceases to be funny.

--
Tomas Szepe <[email protected]>

PS. The hall of fame thing is actually pretty cool.

2003-01-29 13:44:43

by John Bradford

> Ideas like yours remind me just how GREAT it is that Linus is
> so hard to get to accept patches. People are constantly trying
> to get such a tremendous quantity of absolute junk into the
> tree that it ceases to be funny.

Also, when a really good idea *does* come along, (morse code on the
keyboard LEDs, for example), it get included, which is good.

I am thinking of re-wiring the MHz indicator on this machine to the
parallel port, so that it can display the number of unread E-Mails
I've got :-). The turbo light is currently a SCSI bus activity
indicator. Oh, and it would be really cool would be two bulbs behind
Linux and BSD case badges, which light up to indicate which OS is
running :-).

John

2003-01-29 13:52:16

by Jesse Pollard

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 05:56 am, Raphael Schmid wrote:
[snip]

> Seriously, *laughs*, I don't think debugging user problems
> would escalate into such a scenario. Let me again point out
> my proposal:
>
> There is *one* line of boot messages shown. Whenever the
> System hangs, you will see the last message. Carefully
> designed messages will greatly help, of course.

Of course, you HAVE to suppress the new line at the end of
every line - and force a newline at the beginning of every message
... or you will only have a blank line.
Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: [email protected]

by Raphael Schmid

> Of course, you HAVE to suppress the new line at the end of
> every line - and force a newline at the beginning of every message
> ... or you will only have a blank line.
Why not modify printk, so it just skips \n? *evil grin*

2003-01-29 15:05:29

by Dave Jones

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 01:54:14PM +0000, John Bradford wrote:
> > Ideas like yours remind me just how GREAT it is that Linus is
> > so hard to get to accept patches. People are constantly trying
> > to get such a tremendous quantity of absolute junk into the
> > tree that it ceases to be funny.
>
> Also, when a really good idea *does* come along, (morse code on the
> keyboard LEDs, for example), it get included, which is good.

That was never included in mainline, and only exists in Alans tree afaik.

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2003-01-29 19:54:03

by John Bradford

Subject: Morse code on keyboard LEDs

> > > Ideas like yours remind me just how GREAT it is that Linus is
> > > so hard to get to accept patches. People are constantly trying
> > > to get such a tremendous quantity of absolute junk into the
> > > tree that it ceases to be funny.
> >
> > Also, when a really good idea *does* come along, (morse code on the
> > keyboard LEDs, for example), it get included, which is good.
>
> That was never included in mainline, and only exists in Alans tree afaik.

Alan - Is there any reason why that can't go in to mainline, (apart from the
feature melt^Wfreeze)?

John,

2003-01-30 09:43:37

by Alan Cox

Subject: Re: Morse code on keyboard LEDs

> > That was never included in mainline, and only exists in Alans tree afaik.
>
> Alan - Is there any reason why that can't go in to mainline, (apart from the
> feature melt^Wfreeze)?

I'm all for it going mainline. For 2.4 it always seemed to be useful but
trivial so probably not an appropriate mainstream item, for 2.5 I'd like to
see it in.