2004-09-17 19:54:43

by Kenneth Aafløy

Subject: [BUG] Via-Rhine WOL vs PXE Boot

Hi!

In recent kernels I have been having trouble booting from a LAN with the built
in PXE firmware in my Via Epia M10k board. This will never happen after a
cold-boot. But do accur after the first reboot or power-down/power-up cycle.
When this occurs the PXE firmware exits with no error, as at least a
unplugged wire (from cold-boot) will yield an error message with the
unchanged driver. Cold-boot refers to complete power separation from the
motherboard.

I've traced this down to a specific change in the via-rhine ethernet driver:

http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/diffs/drivers/net/via-rhine.c%401.75?nav=index.html|
src/.|src/drivers|src/drivers/net|hist/drivers/net/via-rhine.c

I have not yet tried messing with variations of this change vs the WOL
feature, or the WOL feature at all, but probably will sometime soon. If
someone have some idea of what might be going wrong here,
I would be happy to test.

Kenneth

2004-09-17 20:36:51

by Roger Luethi

Subject: Re: [BUG] Via-Rhine WOL vs PXE Boot

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:54:36 +0200, Kenneth Aafl?y wrote:
> In recent kernels I have been having trouble booting from a LAN with the built
> in PXE firmware in my Via Epia M10k board. This will never happen after a
> cold-boot. But do accur after the first reboot or power-down/power-up cycle.
> When this occurs the PXE firmware exits with no error, as at least a
> unplugged wire (from cold-boot) will yield an error message with the
> unchanged driver. Cold-boot refers to complete power separation from the
> motherboard.
>
> I've traced this down to a specific change in the via-rhine ethernet driver:
[...]

The patch you are referring to contains very little code that affects chip
programming without user intervention (e.g. calling ethtool ioctls). There
is one notable exception: The patch introduces rhine_shutdown which is
called at shutdown (well, duh!). I suppose you can make the problem go away
if you comment out parts of said function. I'd start at the bottom with the
D3 call.

Roger

2004-09-17 22:01:59

by Kenneth Aafløy

On Friday 17 September 2004 22:34, Roger Luethi wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:54:36 +0200, Kenneth Aafl?y wrote:
> > In recent kernels I have been having trouble booting from a LAN with the
> > built in PXE firmware in my Via Epia M10k board.
[...]

> The patch you are referring to contains very little code that affects chip
> programming without user intervention (e.g. calling ethtool ioctls). There
> is one notable exception: The patch introduces rhine_shutdown which is
> called at shutdown (well, duh!). I suppose you can make the problem go away
> if you comment out parts of said function. I'd start at the bottom with the
> D3 call.

Indeed it was that last call to change the power state, as I too figured. Now
I wonder if there is some other power state that could be set that would
benefit powersaving, but not prevent the pxe boot rom from beeing confused?

Or should this rather be reported as a bug to Via, so that they can implement
restoring the adapter from the D3 state in the pxe boot rom?

I've attached what I belive to be a bk patch (kinda new to that) which
comments out this power-state change, untill something better is found. I
have not tested WOL with this, but I can't think of any reason why it should
not work.

Kenneth

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.23 kB)
via-rhine.patch (932.00 B)

by Roger Luethi

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:01:42 +0200, Kenneth Aafl?y wrote:
> Or should this rather be reported as a bug to Via, so that they can implement
> restoring the adapter from the D3 state in the pxe boot rom?

Have you tried the VIA driver to check if it fares any better?

> I've attached what I belive to be a bk patch (kinda new to that) which
> comments out this power-state change, untill something better is found. I
> have not tested WOL with this, but I can't think of any reason why it should
> not work.

I'm afraid you will convince neither me nor the hardware with assumptions.

Roger

2004-09-19 12:52:55

by Kenneth Aafløy

On Saturday 18 September 2004 08:13, Roger Luethi wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:01:42 +0200, Kenneth Aafl?y wrote:
> > I've attached what I belive to be a bk patch (kinda new to that) which
> > comments out this power-state change, untill something better is found. I
> > have not tested WOL with this, but I can't think of any reason why it should
> > not work.
>
> I'm afraid you will convince neither me nor the hardware with assumptions.

WOL still works fine, at least with my hardware, without that statement.

Kenneth

2004-09-19 13:37:17

by Roger Luethi

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:52:51 +0200, Kenneth Aafl?y wrote:
> > I'm afraid you will convince neither me nor the hardware with assumptions.
>
> WOL still works fine, at least with my hardware, without that statement.

I have hardware that needs D3 for WOL to work. Gotta love this.

Roger