2006-05-27 12:59:11

by Janos Haar

Subject: How to send a break?

Hello, list,

I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
serial line, using echo.

I mean like this:

#!/bin/bash
echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
sleep 2
echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0

Thanks,
Janos

2006-05-27 23:44:13

by Jim Crilly

Subject: Re: How to send a break?

On 05/27/06 02:58:44PM +0200, Haar J?nos wrote:
> Hello, list,
>
> I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
> serial line, using echo.
>
> I mean like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> sleep 2
> echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0

Is there a reason you can't use "echo -n m > /proc/sysrq-trigger"?

Jim.

2006-05-28 23:06:25

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <01b701c6818d$4bcd37b0$1800a8c0@dcccs>
By author: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Haar_J=E1nos?= <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Hello, list,
>
> I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
> serial line, using echo.
>
> I mean like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> sleep 2
> echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0

You can't use it using echo, however, you can do it using Perl:

perl -e 'use POSIX; tcsendbreak(1,0);' > /dev/ttyS0

-hpa

2006-05-29 07:52:20

by Janos Haar

"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> az al?bbiakat ?rta a k?vetkezo ?zenetben
news:[email protected]...
> Followup to: <01b701c6818d$4bcd37b0$1800a8c0@dcccs>
> By author: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Haar_J=E1nos?= <[email protected]>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Hello, list,
> >
> > I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on
the
> > serial line, using echo.
> >
> > I mean like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> > sleep 2
> > echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0
> >

> You can't use it using echo, however, you can do it using Perl:
>
> perl -e 'use POSIX; tcsendbreak(1,0);' > /dev/ttyS0

Ahh, thats what i am waiting for, thanks! :-)

Works fine!

Thanks,
Janos

> -hpa
> -

by linux-os (Dick Johnson)

On Sat, 27 May 2006, [iso-8859-2] Haar J?nos wrote:

> Hello, list,
>
> I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
> serial line, using echo.
>
> I mean like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> sleep 2
> echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0
>
> Thanks,
> Janos

Can't you use /proc/sysrq-trigger?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.16.4 on an i686 machine (5592.73 BogoMips).
New book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

2006-05-29 15:35:12

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08:15 EDT, "linux-os (Dick Johnson)" said:

> On Sat, 27 May 2006, [iso-8859-2] Haar J?nos wrote:
>
> > Hello, list,
> >
> > I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
> > serial line, using echo.
> >
> > I mean like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> > sleep 2
> > echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Janos
> >

> Can't you use /proc/sysrq-trigger?

That can be tricky if the other end of /dev/ttyS0 is plugged into a debugging
serial port on an embedded system where you don't have easy access to a shell.

Or for that matter, if you're trying to talk to the serial port on a non-embedded
system, which is too far into OOM thrashing for you to be able to get a
usable shell prompt.....

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2006-05-29 17:32:52

by Janos Haar

On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08:15 EDT, "linux-os (Dick Johnson)" said:

> On Sat, 27 May 2006, [iso-8859-2] Haar J?nos wrote:
>
> > Hello, list,
> >
> > I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on
the
> > serial line, using echo.
> >
> > I mean like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> > sleep 2
> > echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Janos
> >

> Can't you use /proc/sysrq-trigger?

> That can be tricky if the other end of /dev/ttyS0 is plugged into a
debugging
> serial port on an embedded system where you don't have easy access to a
shell.

> Or for that matter, if you're trying to talk to the serial port on a
non-embedded
> system, which is too far into OOM thrashing for you to be able to get a
> usable shell prompt.....

This is for debugging an frozen X86_64 system! :-)

Thanks,
Janos