2006-08-03 20:53:56

by Greg KH

Subject: Adrian Bunk is now taking over the 2.6.16-stable branch

This is just a notice to everyone that Adrian is going to now be taking
over the 2.6.16-stable kernel branch, for him to maintain for as long as
he wants to.

He will still be following the same -stable rules that are documented in
the Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt file, but just doing this for
the 2.6.16 kernel tree for a much longer time than the current stable
team is willing to do (we have moved on to the 2.6.17 kernel now.)

So, if you have any patches that meet the -stable requirements for the
2.6.16 kernel, please send them to him, and not the [email protected]
account, as we will just delete them.

And I'd like to offer my best wishes to Adrian for doing this work.
Personally I don't think it can be done for all that long of an amount
of time, and I will be very happy to see him prove me wrong :)

thanks,

greg k-h

2006-08-04 02:43:09

by Josh Boyer

On 8/3/06, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is just a notice to everyone that Adrian is going to now be taking
> over the 2.6.16-stable kernel branch, for him to maintain for as long as
> he wants to.

Adrian, could you provide a bit of rationale as to why you want to do
this? I'm just curious.

josh

2006-08-04 06:29:13

by Jan Engelhardt

>> This is just a notice to everyone that Adrian is going to now be taking
>> over the 2.6.16-stable kernel branch, for him to maintain for as long as
>> he wants to.
>
> Adrian, could you provide a bit of rationale as to why you want to do
> this? I'm just curious.

Competition against the "LTS" of Ubuntu, perhaps? :-)

Jan Engelhardt

by Adrian Bunk

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:43:06PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On 8/3/06, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> >This is just a notice to everyone that Adrian is going to now be taking
> >over the 2.6.16-stable kernel branch, for him to maintain for as long as
> >he wants to.
>
> Adrian, could you provide a bit of rationale as to why you want to do
> this? I'm just curious.

A long-term maintained stable series was missing in the current
development model.

The 2.6 series itself is theoretically a stable series, but the amount
of regressions is too big for some users.

> josh

cu
Adrian

--

Gentoo kernels are 42 times more popular than SUSE kernels among
KLive users (a service by SUSE contractor Andrea Arcangeli that

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli

2006-08-06 00:44:51

by Andrea Arcangeli

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 01:00:17AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:43:06PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On 8/3/06, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >This is just a notice to everyone that Adrian is going to now be taking
> > >over the 2.6.16-stable kernel branch, for him to maintain for as long as
> > >he wants to.
> >
> > Adrian, could you provide a bit of rationale as to why you want to do
> > this? I'm just curious.
>
> A long-term maintained stable series was missing in the current
> development model.
>
> The 2.6 series itself is theoretically a stable series, but the amount
> of regressions is too big for some users.

Greg is electing new official maintainers, but Greg is doing other
weird things as well:

http://www.cpushare.com/blog/andrea/article/42/

I'm certainly not happy with you as an official maintainer of a kernel
that could potentially be used by lot of people (I say potentially
because I doubt many would use it) given that recently you claimed to
be happy with ext2, and you discredited the great work of many people
that are testing new features and reporting feedback. I also don't
trust you to act in the interest of all parties involved in the kernel
community (given that most of them are funded by companies filing lots
of US software patents). I don't need to comment on your signature
since that's explicit enough without me needing to add anything.

2006-08-06 04:56:21

by Greg KH

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 02:46:34AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 01:00:17AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > >
> > > Adrian, could you provide a bit of rationale as to why you want to do
> > > this? I'm just curious.
> >
> > A long-term maintained stable series was missing in the current
> > development model.
> >
> > The 2.6 series itself is theoretically a stable series, but the amount
> > of regressions is too big for some users.
>
> Greg is electing new official maintainers

Greg didn't "elect" anyone, Adrian volunteered to maintain something
that had been dropped by the -stable developers and no one else was
going to maintain.

> , but Greg is doing other
> weird things as well:
>
> http://www.cpushare.com/blog/andrea/article/42/

I'm only repeating what a whole lot of lawyers told me, nothing else.

thanks,

greg k-h

2006-08-06 06:33:00

by Willy Tarreau

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 01:00:17AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:43:06PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On 8/3/06, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >This is just a notice to everyone that Adrian is going to now be taking
> > >over the 2.6.16-stable kernel branch, for him to maintain for as long as
> > >he wants to.
> >
> > Adrian, could you provide a bit of rationale as to why you want to do
> > this? I'm just curious.
>
> A long-term maintained stable series was missing in the current
> development model.
>
> The 2.6 series itself is theoretically a stable series, but the amount
> of regressions is too big for some users.

Well, I really wish you success on this project. I completely agree on the
need of a 2.4-like model to stabilize one branch of 2.6, and you probably
remember that we've been talking about this 1 or 2 years ago, when I found
it too hard to be started alone. It takes a very long time but apparently
succeeds in the long term. I think it will quickly become a hard work because
patches will get harder and harder to apply, and sometimes you'll have to
adapt them a lot. But there's nothing impossible, I've been backporting
fixes from 2.6 to 2.4 for a long time, so 2.6 to 2.6 should be feasible.

However, I hope that you realize that (if you succeed), your work might
become a basis for some distros, as well as for some admins who will try
to switch from 2.4 to 2.6. I mean, people will be *relying* on you to get
fixes.

But for this, you will have to be seen as a serious person, and avoid
childish fighting with other kernel developpers, such as this :

> Gentoo kernels are 42 times more popular than SUSE kernels among
> KLive users (a service by SUSE contractor Andrea Arcangeli that
> gathers data about kernels from many users worldwide).

People who know the history will take this a as the teenager trying to
take revenge on the other guy who stole his girlfriend, and people not
aware of the history will take this for Gentoo advertisement based on
the work of your good friend Andrea who is so much honnest that he doesn't
mind publishing such results. In both cases, I think this is not what
you're looking for, and it does not make you look like the serious guy
on whom we can rely to get a stable kernel. At best, it will be used to
show that Andrea is unbiased, which is exactly what is expected for the
role you're taking.

And BTW, you'll look ridiculous when you'll post changelogs which will
start with fixes from Andrea and will end with this signature ! Or maybe
you'll decide to refuse his patches, which is a dangerous game when the
original goal is to stabilize some code. I hope that everyone will grow
up in order not to tarnish linux's image. There are already a few debian
extremists to make us look like immature geeks in enterprise contexts,
I think we don't need more of this.

Best wishes with 2.6.16,
Willy

2006-08-07 13:29:59

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

Thanks for doing this.

I believe I had 'fix pdflush after suspend' queued in Greg's tree. Is
it still queued or should I resend?
Pavel

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.

2006-08-07 16:54:25

by Greg KH

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:40:44PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for doing this.
>
> I believe I had 'fix pdflush after suspend' queued in Greg's tree. Is
> it still queued or should I resend?

Nothing is queued in the 2.6.16-stable tree right now, Adrian is
starting with a blank list.

I'd suggest resending it to him.

thanks,

greg k-h

2006-08-07 17:59:43

by Adrian Bunk

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:40:44PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for doing this.
>
> I believe I had 'fix pdflush after suspend' queued in Greg's tree. Is
> it still queued or should I resend?

Is this "pdflush: handle resume wakeups"?

> Pavel

cu
Adrian

--

Gentoo kernels are 42 times more popular than SUSE kernels among
KLive users (a service by SUSE contractor Andrea Arcangeli that
gathers data about kernels from many users worldwide).

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli

2006-08-07 23:31:04

by Pavel Machek

On Mon 2006-08-07 19:59:39, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:40:44PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thanks for doing this.
> >
> > I believe I had 'fix pdflush after suspend' queued in Greg's tree. Is
> > it still queued or should I resend?
>
> Is this "pdflush: handle resume wakeups"?

Yes. Do you have it somewhere or should I dig it up?
Pavel

by Adrian Bunk

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 01:30:46AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Mon 2006-08-07 19:59:39, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:40:44PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Thanks for doing this.
> > >
> > > I believe I had 'fix pdflush after suspend' queued in Greg's tree. Is
> > > it still queued or should I resend?
> >
> > Is this "pdflush: handle resume wakeups"?
>
> Yes. Do you have it somewhere or should I dig it up?

I've applied it.

> Pavel

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2006-08-09 21:52:29

by Chuck Ebbert

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 21:55:10 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Is this "pdflush: handle resume wakeups"?
> >
> > Yes. Do you have it somewhere or should I dig it up?
>
> I've applied it.

Umm, is there some place we can check to see what you've applied?

I sent you "tty: serialize flush_to_ldisc" and I've got a few more
but I don't want to duplicate what you already have.

--
Chuck

2006-08-09 22:00:53

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:45:53PM -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> > > Yes. Do you have it somewhere or should I dig it up?
> >
> > I've applied it.
>
> Umm, is there some place we can check to see what you've applied?

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git

> I sent you "tty: serialize flush_to_ldisc" and I've got a few more
> but I don't want to duplicate what you already have.

Sorry that I hadn't answered your email.

That patch is in 2.6.17.8, and I will look at it since I'm currently
going through all 2.6.17.7 and 2.6.17.8 patches looking for patches I
should apply.

> Chuck

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2006-08-09 22:19:20

by Greg KH

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:00:49AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > I've applied it.
> >
> > Umm, is there some place we can check to see what you've applied?
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git

No, I would not use the main git tree to queue patches up. What happens
when you want to rip the middle one out because in review it turns out
that it is incorrect?

Please use a quilt tree of patches instead, and then only commit the
patches when you do a release. It's much simpler that way.

thanks,

greg k-h

2006-08-09 22:45:34

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 03:18:54PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:00:49AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Umm, is there some place we can check to see what you've applied?
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git
>
> No, I would not use the main git tree to queue patches up. What happens
> when you want to rip the middle one out because in review it turns out
> that it is incorrect?

git-revert

> Please use a quilt tree of patches instead, and then only commit the
> patches when you do a release. It's much simpler that way.

The way I'm doing it it's more the way the 2.4 and 2.6 trees work than
how the -stable tree works.

I prefer it the way I'm doing it.

If it turns out I was wrong I can always switch to a quilt tree.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2006-08-09 22:53:46

by Greg KH

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:45:29AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 03:18:54PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git
> >
> > No, I would not use the main git tree to queue patches up. What happens
> > when you want to rip the middle one out because in review it turns out
> > that it is incorrect?
>
> git-revert

Ok, fair enough, but it messes with the changelogs a bunch.

> > Please use a quilt tree of patches instead, and then only commit the
> > patches when you do a release. It's much simpler that way.
>
> The way I'm doing it it's more the way the 2.4 and 2.6 trees work than
> how the -stable tree works.
>
> I prefer it the way I'm doing it.
>
> If it turns out I was wrong I can always switch to a quilt tree.

Ok, it's your tree, you can mess with it as you like, just trying to
pass along a little advice from someone who has been there before... :)

good luck,

greg k-h

2006-08-09 23:05:25

by Chris Wright

* Greg KH ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:45:29AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > No, I would not use the main git tree to queue patches up. What happens
> > > when you want to rip the middle one out because in review it turns out
> > > that it is incorrect?
> >
> > git-revert
>
> Ok, fair enough, but it messes with the changelogs a bunch.

You can always keep it all on a "pending" branch, and cherrypick if
needed (instead of straight merge if you needed to drop something) to
keep the final changelogs sane.

thanks,
-chris

2006-08-09 23:20:38

by René Scharfe

Greg KH schrieb:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:00:49AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:45:53PM -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
>>> Umm, is there some place we can check to see what you've applied?
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git
>
> No, I would not use the main git tree to queue patches up. What happens
> when you want to rip the middle one out because in review it turns out
> that it is incorrect?

You can have multiple branches in one git repository. E.g. git's own
repository has a "master" branch containing all committed changes, a
"next" branch which is similar to a release candidate and is regularly
merged back into "master" if ready, and a "pu" branch which contains the
more experimental stuff. The latter doesn't even have a continuous history.

And it has other branches containing different stuff, e.g. "man" is a
special branch containing the generated manpages. You could also have
topic branches or one branch per submitter, or whatever.

> Please use a quilt tree of patches instead, and then only commit the
> patches when you do a release. It's much simpler that way.

There's even a quilt clone based on git (http://www.procode.org/stgit/).
I have never used it, though, so I can't comment on it.

That said, it's a good idea to keep the master branch continuous, i.e.
never delete it or reset it to some previous commit. So, as you
suggest, have a staging area for patches and only commit the good ones
to your master branch. You can use a branch in the same repo as staging
area, though.

You can do quite a lot of different things with just one git repository.
:-D

Ren?

2006-08-10 12:00:54

by Stefan Richter

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> I'm currently
> going through all 2.6.17.7 and 2.6.17.8 patches looking for patches I
> should apply.

Suggested updates for drivers/ieee1394/:

(from 2.6.17.2)
Fix broken suspend/resume in ohci1394
should be applicable as-is. This does not add full suspend/resume
functionality to ohci1394 but it fixes fatal side effects on other
on-board hardware after resume.

(from 2.6.17.8)
ieee1394: sbp2: enable auto spin-up for Maxtor disks
doesn't apply to 2.6.16 as-is.
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=183011#c6 has an adapted
version. I will mail it to you with proper description and signed-off-by
later today. While I am at it, I will resend that ohci1394 patch too.

I have a related question about your plans with Linux 2.6.16.yy.
Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt says:

- It must fix a problem that causes a build error (but not for things
marked CONFIG_BROKEN), an oops, a hang, data corruption, a real
security issue, or some "oh, that's not good" issue. In short,
something critical.

I plan to submit a patch of the kind "fix recognition of a quirky
device" for 2.6.18. That patch does not fix an oops, hang, data
corruption, or security hole. (The patch will fulfill all other criteria
from stable_kernel_rules.) Do you consider "can't use that shiny device
under Linux" as "oh, that's not good" in the context of Linux 2.6.16.yy?

(I will not submit that patch for 2.6.17.y. I suppose I also wouldn't
submit it for 2.6.18.1 if it came too late for 2.8.18. One reason for me
to hesitate is because people who are able to patch their kernel can
already get fully up-to-date ieee1394 drivers from me for kernels as old
as 2.6.14.)
--
Stefan Richter

2006-08-10 16:44:48