2007-08-01 13:58:44

by Michael S. Tsirkin

Subject: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 ACPI issues

Hi!
ACPI appears to have been broken with 2.6.23-rc1 on my T60
Userspace from ubuntu dapper.

1. During boot, I see a lot of messages like this:
[ 41.034204] acpi LNXSYSTM:00: uevent: unsupported action-string; this will be ignored in a future kernel version

2. Pressing Fn/F4 does not trigger suspend to ram
This normally triigers ACPI event which triggers suspend to RAM on Ubuntu
(echo mem > /sys/power/state works)

3. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but laptop's screen is blank,
switching VTs etc does not help.
External screen wakes up OK though.
dmesg output from boot attached.

I also tested with latest git 8d4fbcfbe0a4bfc73e7f0297c59ae514e1f1436f
with the same result.

Works fine with 2.6.22.

My .config is attached.

Ingo, does ACPI work on your T60 with this kernel?
If yes could you post the .config please?

MST

Attachments:
(No filename) (867.00 B)
.config (48.46 kB)
dmesg.after-resume (124.42 kB)

by Hugh Dickins

Subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 ACPI issues

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> Hi!
> ACPI appears to have been broken with 2.6.23-rc1 on my T60
> Userspace from ubuntu dapper.

(Whereas I'm using a T43p with openSUSE 10.2.)

> 1. During boot, I see a lot of messages like this:
> [ 41.034204] acpi LNXSYSTM:00: uevent: unsupported action-string; this will be ignored in a future kernel version

(I've not seen those.)

> 2. Pressing Fn/F4 does not trigger suspend to ram
> This normally triigers ACPI event which triggers suspend to RAM on Ubuntu
> (echo mem > /sys/power/state works)

I'll bet this is your CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED=y.
I got the same, see my "THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED seems regressive"
mail to Henrique and lkml an hour ago.

> 3. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but laptop's screen is blank,
> switching VTs etc does not help.
> External screen wakes up OK though.
> dmesg output from boot attached.

(I've not had that.)

Hugh

2007-08-01 14:56:22

by Michael S. Tsirkin

This? http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/1/176

> > 3. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but laptop's screen is blank,
> > switching VTs etc does not help.
> > External screen wakes up OK though.
> > dmesg output from boot attached.
>
> (I've not had that.)

Bingo.
sudo rmmod thinkpad_acpi cures both 2 and 3.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Henrique, if there's a patch to test, pls let me know.
Or maybe CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED should be N by default.

--
MST

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Henrique, if there's a patch to test, pls let me know.
> Or maybe CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED should be N by default.

I will hunt down the LKML mail and reply to it.

Henrique Holschuh

(CC changed from Borislav to ibm-acpi-devel).

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > 2. Pressing Fn/F4 does not trigger suspend to ram
> > > This normally triigers ACPI event which triggers suspend to RAM on Ubuntu
> > > (echo mem > /sys/power/state works)
> >
> > I'll bet this is your CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED=y.
> > I got the same, see my "THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED seems regressive"
> > mail to Henrique and lkml an hour ago.

[...]

> > > 3. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but laptop's screen is blank,
> > > switching VTs etc does not help.
> > > External screen wakes up OK though.
> > > dmesg output from boot attached.
> >
> > (I've not had that.)
>
> Bingo.
> sudo rmmod thinkpad_acpi cures both 2 and 3.
> Thanks for pointing this out.

I can see how it would help with (2), as that prompty tells the firmware to
issue its default ACPI events for Fn+F4 upon removal. But I have *NO* idea
what thinkpad_acpi might be doing that is causing issues with the wake up
after a resume.

Please open a bug in bugzilla.kernel.org about it, and attach the full debug
output of a suspend+resume cycle with and without thinkpad-acpi loaded.

Also, please try the same with thinkpad-acpi loaded, but
CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED set to N. If the problem goes away,
please retest, but set hotkey_enable to 1 and do an "cat
/sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_recommended_mask >
/sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_mask" before the sleep.

You will probably need to enable a bunch of debug options in ACPI and
thinkpad-acpi to get good enough logs. It is probably worth posting the
acpid logs too: the real difference might be there.

Henrique Holschuh

2007-08-01 15:55:34

by Michael S. Tsirkin

> Quoting Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <[email protected]>:
> Subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 ACPI issues
>
> (CC changed from Borislav to ibm-acpi-devel).

> > > I'll bet this is your CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED=y.
> > > I got the same, see my "THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED seems regressive"
> > > mail to Henrique and lkml an hour ago.
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > (I've not had that.)
> >
> > Bingo.
> > sudo rmmod thinkpad_acpi cures both 2 and 3.
> > Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> I can see how it would help with (2), as that prompty tells the firmware to
> issue its default ACPI events for Fn+F4 upon removal. But I have *NO* idea
> what thinkpad_acpi might be doing that is causing issues with the wake up
> after a resume.

My guess is that upon resume, I normally get some other acpi event
which gets blocked with CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED.

> Please open a bug in bugzilla.kernel.org about it, and attach the full debug
> output of a suspend+resume cycle with and without thinkpad-acpi loaded.
>
> Also, please try the same with thinkpad-acpi loaded, but
> CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED set to N. If the problem goes away,
> please retest, but set hotkey_enable to 1 and do an "cat
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_recommended_mask >
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_mask" before the sleep.

what's hotkey_enable?

> You will probably need to enable a bunch of debug options in ACPI and
> thinkpad-acpi to get good enough logs. It is probably worth posting the
> acpid logs too: the real difference might be there.

--
MST

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> My guess is that upon resume, I normally get some other acpi event
> which gets blocked with CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED.

*Nothing* should be using any such events like that (that is an bug by
itself), but let's find out if that's what happening first.

acpid logs can probably tell you that.

> > Please open a bug in bugzilla.kernel.org about it, and attach the full debug
> > output of a suspend+resume cycle with and without thinkpad-acpi loaded.
> >
> > Also, please try the same with thinkpad-acpi loaded, but
> > CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED set to N. If the problem goes away,
> > please retest, but set hotkey_enable to 1 and do an "cat
> > /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_recommended_mask >
> > /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_mask" before the sleep.
>
> what's hotkey_enable?

/sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_enable.

Please read the full thinkpad-acpi documentation (it is in
Documentation/thinkpad-acpi.txt in the kernel tree).

Henrique Holschuh