2008-06-08 21:03:23

by Rafael J. Wysocki

Subject: 2.6.26-rc5-git2: snd-emu10k1 does not work

Hi,

snd-emu10k1 doesn't work on one of my test boxes. The driver apparently loads,
but the card is not visible, for example, to any mixer apps (including the ALSA
mixer). However, YaST correctly detects and reports the card (the system is
openSUSE 10.3, x86-64). The openSUSE-made kernel (2.6.22-something) does
correctly work on the same hardware.

Is there anything I should pay attention to, like any options related to /proc
or sysfs that could have an effect on the audio adapter?

Thanks,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth

2008-06-09 09:19:17

by Takashi Iwai

Subject: Re: 2.6.26-rc5-git2: snd-emu10k1 does not work

At Sun, 8 Jun 2008 23:03:58 +0200,
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> snd-emu10k1 doesn't work on one of my test boxes. The driver apparently loads,
> but the card is not visible, for example, to any mixer apps (including the ALSA
> mixer). However, YaST correctly detects and reports the card (the system is
> openSUSE 10.3, x86-64). The openSUSE-made kernel (2.6.22-something) does
> correctly work on the same hardware.
>
> Is there anything I should pay attention to, like any options related to /proc
> or sysfs that could have an effect on the audio adapter?

First off, check /proc/asound/cards whether snd-emu10k1 driver is
really loaded on the first slot. I guess something else occupies the
position. If yes, a simple solution is to add the following option
for snd module:

options snd slots=snd-emu10k1

then the first slot is reserved for emu10k1. Note that this option is
available for 2.6.25 or later kernel.

Takashi

2008-06-09 14:55:53

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 9 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 8 Jun 2008 23:03:58 +0200,
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > snd-emu10k1 doesn't work on one of my test boxes. The driver apparently loads,
> > but the card is not visible, for example, to any mixer apps (including the ALSA
> > mixer). However, YaST correctly detects and reports the card (the system is
> > openSUSE 10.3, x86-64). The openSUSE-made kernel (2.6.22-something) does
> > correctly work on the same hardware.
> >
> > Is there anything I should pay attention to, like any options related to /proc
> > or sysfs that could have an effect on the audio adapter?
>
> First off, check /proc/asound/cards whether snd-emu10k1 driver is
> really loaded on the first slot. I guess something else occupies the
> position.

This is quite possible, as there is an on-board audio in this box too and I'm
not sure if the setup switch really turns it off.

> If yes, a simple solution is to add the following option for snd module:
>
> options snd slots=snd-emu10k1
>
> then the first slot is reserved for emu10k1. Note that this option is
> available for 2.6.25 or later kernel.

I'll try later today and let you know.

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-06-09 20:44:21

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 9 of June 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Monday, 9 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sun, 8 Jun 2008 23:03:58 +0200,
> > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > snd-emu10k1 doesn't work on one of my test boxes. The driver apparently loads,
> > > but the card is not visible, for example, to any mixer apps (including the ALSA
> > > mixer). However, YaST correctly detects and reports the card (the system is
> > > openSUSE 10.3, x86-64). The openSUSE-made kernel (2.6.22-something) does
> > > correctly work on the same hardware.
> > >
> > > Is there anything I should pay attention to, like any options related to /proc
> > > or sysfs that could have an effect on the audio adapter?
> >
> > First off, check /proc/asound/cards whether snd-emu10k1 driver is
> > really loaded on the first slot. I guess something else occupies the
> > position.
>
> This is quite possible, as there is an on-board audio in this box too and I'm
> not sure if the setup switch really turns it off.
>
> > If yes, a simple solution is to add the following option for snd module:
> >
> > options snd slots=snd-emu10k1
> >
> > then the first slot is reserved for emu10k1. Note that this option is
> > available for 2.6.25 or later kernel.
>
> I'll try later today and let you know.

No, it didn't work.

Here's what I got from /proc/asound/cards:

0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x531102) at 0xa000, irq 17
1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 10

so I think this is correct, and the "options snd slots=snd-emu10k1" thing had
no visible effect.

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-06-10 05:52:39

by Takashi Iwai

At Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:45:01 +0200,
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Monday, 9 of June 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Monday, 9 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > First off, check /proc/asound/cards whether snd-emu10k1 driver is
> > > really loaded on the first slot. I guess something else occupies the
> > > position.
> >
> > This is quite possible, as there is an on-board audio in this box too and I'm
> > not sure if the setup switch really turns it off.
> >
> > > If yes, a simple solution is to add the following option for snd module:
> > >
> > > options snd slots=snd-emu10k1
> > >
> > > then the first slot is reserved for emu10k1. Note that this option is
> > > available for 2.6.25 or later kernel.
> >
> > I'll try later today and let you know.
>
> No, it didn't work.
>
> Here's what I got from /proc/asound/cards:
>
> 0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
> Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x531102) at 0xa000, irq 17
> 1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
> MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 10
>
> so I think this is correct, and the "options snd slots=snd-emu10k1" thing had
> no visible effect.

Then this must be OK. Then the remaining possible problems are:

- Device files and permissions.
Check whether /dev/snd/* files exist and have proper permissions and
ACL (see "getfacl /dev/snd/*")

- The default ALSA configuration is hijacked, e.g. via pulse plugin.
Try to remove /etc/asound-pulse.conf if present.

Takashi

2008-06-29 17:45:44

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Tuesday, 10 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:45:01 +0200,
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > This is quite possible, as there is an on-board audio in this box too and I'm
> > > not sure if the setup switch really turns it off.

> > > I'll try later today and let you know.
> >
> > No, it didn't work.
> >
> > Here's what I got from /proc/asound/cards:
> >
> > 0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
> > Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x531102) at 0xa000, irq 17
> > 1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
> > MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 10
> >
> > so I think this is correct, and the "options snd slots=snd-emu10k1" thing had
> > no visible effect.
>
> Then this must be OK. Then the remaining possible problems are:
>
> - Device files and permissions.
> Check whether /dev/snd/* files exist and have proper permissions and
> ACL (see "getfacl /dev/snd/*")
>
> - The default ALSA configuration is hijacked, e.g. via pulse plugin.
> Try to remove /etc/asound-pulse.conf if present.

I've just installed openSUSE 11.0 on this box and the distro kernel
2.6.25.5-something works, but 2.6.26-rc8 doesn't. The symptoms are exactly
the same as described in this thread and the kernel is the only system
component replaced.

So this is a regression from 2.6.25, actually. Do you want me to bisect?

Rafael

2008-06-29 23:13:51

by Takashi Iwai

At Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:46:49 +0200,
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Tuesday, 10 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:45:01 +0200,
> > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > No, it didn't work.
> > >
> > > Here's what I got from /proc/asound/cards:
> > >
> > > 0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
> > > Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x531102) at 0xa000, irq 17
> > > 1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
> > > MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 10
> > >
> > > so I think this is correct, and the "options snd slots=snd-emu10k1" thing had
> > > no visible effect.
> >
> > Then this must be OK. Then the remaining possible problems are:
> >
> > - Device files and permissions.
> > Check whether /dev/snd/* files exist and have proper permissions and
> > ACL (see "getfacl /dev/snd/*")
> >
> > - The default ALSA configuration is hijacked, e.g. via pulse plugin.
> > Try to remove /etc/asound-pulse.conf if present.
>
> I've just installed openSUSE 11.0 on this box and the distro kernel
> 2.6.25.5-something works, but 2.6.26-rc8 doesn't. The symptoms are exactly
> the same as described in this thread and the kernel is the only system
> component replaced.
>
> So this is a regression from 2.6.25, actually. Do you want me to bisect?

Hmm... there is really no visible problematic changes for emu10k1
between 2.6.25 and 2.6.26. I guess checking /proc/asound/cards and/or
kernel config would save the time of bisect. At least, check the
following:

1. you have emu10k1 in the first entry (#0) of /proc/asound/cards
2. the mixer states are OK (e.g. "Audigy Analog/Digital Output
Jack" switch is off, "Master" and "PCM" are muted/adjusted, etc)
3. run "aplay -Dhw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav" for testing

thanks,

Takashi

2008-06-30 09:43:27

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:46:49 +0200,
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, 10 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Then this must be OK. Then the remaining possible problems are:
> > >
> > > - Device files and permissions.
> > > Check whether /dev/snd/* files exist and have proper permissions and
> > > ACL (see "getfacl /dev/snd/*")
> > >
> > > - The default ALSA configuration is hijacked, e.g. via pulse plugin.
> > > Try to remove /etc/asound-pulse.conf if present.
> >
> > I've just installed openSUSE 11.0 on this box and the distro kernel
> > 2.6.25.5-something works, but 2.6.26-rc8 doesn't. The symptoms are exactly
> > the same as described in this thread and the kernel is the only system
> > component replaced.
> >
> > So this is a regression from 2.6.25, actually. Do you want me to bisect?
>
> Hmm... there is really no visible problematic changes for emu10k1
> between 2.6.25 and 2.6.26. I guess checking /proc/asound/cards and/or
> kernel config would save the time of bisect. At least, check the
> following:
>
> 1. you have emu10k1 in the first entry (#0) of /proc/asound/cards

Yes. The contents of /proc/asound/cards are exactly as shown above.

> 2. the mixer states are OK (e.g. "Audigy Analog/Digital Output
> Jack" switch is off, "Master" and "PCM" are muted/adjusted, etc)

I can only run alsamixer as root and then it works correctly. As a normal
user it doesn't start due to insufficient access rights.

While kmix can be started as a normal user, it only shows empty window.

> 3. run "aplay -Dhw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav" for testing

As root it works just fine. As a normal user I get:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1240:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
aplay: main:583: audio open error: Permission denied

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-06-30 09:48:35

by Takashi Iwai

At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:44:39 +0200,
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:46:49 +0200,
> > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > I've just installed openSUSE 11.0 on this box and the distro kernel
> > > 2.6.25.5-something works, but 2.6.26-rc8 doesn't. The symptoms are exactly
> > > the same as described in this thread and the kernel is the only system
> > > component replaced.
> > >
> > > So this is a regression from 2.6.25, actually. Do you want me to bisect?
> >
> > Hmm... there is really no visible problematic changes for emu10k1
> > between 2.6.25 and 2.6.26. I guess checking /proc/asound/cards and/or
> > kernel config would save the time of bisect. At least, check the
> > following:
> >
> > 1. you have emu10k1 in the first entry (#0) of /proc/asound/cards
>
> Yes. The contents of /proc/asound/cards are exactly as shown above.
>
> > 2. the mixer states are OK (e.g. "Audigy Analog/Digital Output
> > Jack" switch is off, "Master" and "PCM" are muted/adjusted, etc)
>
> I can only run alsamixer as root and then it works correctly. As a normal
> user it doesn't start due to insufficient access rights.
>
> While kmix can be started as a normal user, it only shows empty window.
>
> > 3. run "aplay -Dhw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav" for testing
>
> As root it works just fine. As a normal user I get:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1240:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> aplay: main:583: audio open error: Permission denied

Weird. Could you try to remove ~/.asoundrc and /etc/asound*.conf if
they exist?

Takashi

2008-06-30 09:57:36

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:44:39 +0200,
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Hmm... there is really no visible problematic changes for emu10k1
> > > between 2.6.25 and 2.6.26. I guess checking /proc/asound/cards and/or
> > > kernel config would save the time of bisect. At least, check the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > 1. you have emu10k1 in the first entry (#0) of /proc/asound/cards
> >
> > Yes. The contents of /proc/asound/cards are exactly as shown above.
> >
> > > 2. the mixer states are OK (e.g. "Audigy Analog/Digital Output
> > > Jack" switch is off, "Master" and "PCM" are muted/adjusted, etc)
> >
> > I can only run alsamixer as root and then it works correctly. As a normal
> > user it doesn't start due to insufficient access rights.
> >
> > While kmix can be started as a normal user, it only shows empty window.
> >
> > > 3. run "aplay -Dhw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav" for testing
> >
> > As root it works just fine. As a normal user I get:
> >
> > ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1240:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> > aplay: main:583: audio open error: Permission denied
>
> Weird. Could you try to remove ~/.asoundrc and /etc/asound*.conf if
> they exist?

I only had /etc/asound-pulse.conf . Removed that, but it didn't change
anything.

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-06-30 11:24:10

by Takashi Iwai

At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:58:47 +0200,
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:44:39 +0200,
> > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Yes. The contents of /proc/asound/cards are exactly as shown above.

> > > I can only run alsamixer as root and then it works correctly. As a normal
> > > user it doesn't start due to insufficient access rights.
> > >
> > > While kmix can be started as a normal user, it only shows empty window.

> > > As root it works just fine. As a normal user I get:
> > >
> > > ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1240:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> > > aplay: main:583: audio open error: Permission denied
> >
> > Weird. Could you try to remove ~/.asoundrc and /etc/asound*.conf if
> > they exist?
>
> I only had /etc/asound-pulse.conf . Removed that, but it didn't change
> anything.

Then I have no idea... Could you bisect? At least, I'd like to know
whether manually built vanilla 2.6.25.x works on your system...

thanks,

Takashi

2008-06-30 20:34:58

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:58:47 +0200,
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Weird. Could you try to remove ~/.asoundrc and /etc/asound*.conf if
> > > they exist?
> >
> > I only had /etc/asound-pulse.conf . Removed that, but it didn't change
> > anything.
>
> Then I have no idea... Could you bisect? At least, I'd like to know
> whether manually built vanilla 2.6.25.x works on your system...

I tried vanilla 2.6.25 and it behaved exactly like the current -git, so this is
not a recent regression.

Still, it's interesting why the openSUSE kernels work with the card without
any problems while the kernel.org ones apparently don't.

Thanks,
Rafael

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Still, it's interesting why the openSUSE kernels work with the card without
> any problems while the kernel.org ones apparently don't.

Same config? Particularly, same config for CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 and
other such small details?

Henrique Holschuh

2008-07-01 14:36:17

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Tuesday, 1 of July 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Still, it's interesting why the openSUSE kernels work with the card without
> > any problems while the kernel.org ones apparently don't.
>
> Same config?

Certainly not.

> Particularly, same config for CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 and
> other such small details?

Well, in fact I'd like to find the small detail that makes the difference. :-)

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-07-03 08:31:28

by Bongani Hlope

On Monday 30 June 2008 22:36:45 Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> I tried vanilla 2.6.25 and it behaved exactly like the current -git, so
> this is not a recent regression.
>
> Still, it's interesting why the openSUSE kernels work with the card without
> any problems while the kernel.org ones apparently don't.

I had the same problem with Mandriva, try the following:
la -l /dev/snd/

you should have something like this:
total 0
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 0 2008-07-03 08:44 controlC0
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 2008-07-03 08:44 hwC0D0
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 2008-07-03 08:44 midiC0D0
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 2008-07-03 08:44 midiC0D1
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 2008-07-03 08:45 pcmC0D0c
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 2008-07-03 08:45 pcmC0D0p
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 25 2008-07-03 08:44 pcmC0D1c
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 26 2008-07-03 08:44 pcmC0D2c
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 18 2008-07-03 08:44 pcmC0D2p
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 19 2008-07-03 08:44 pcmC0D3p
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 28 2008-07-03 08:44 pcmC0D4c
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 20 2008-07-03 08:44 pcmC0D4p
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 1 2008-07-03 08:44 seq
0 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 2008-07-03 08:44 timer

create the audio group and add you self to it, it required a reboot for the
changes to apply, but if you are too lazy to reboot: chmod 666 /dev/snd/*
will work ;)

2008-07-03 12:09:36

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:58:47 +0200,
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Weird. Could you try to remove ~/.asoundrc and /etc/asound*.conf if
> > > they exist?
> >
> > I only had /etc/asound-pulse.conf . Removed that, but it didn't change
> > anything.
>
> Then I have no idea... Could you bisect? At least, I'd like to know
> whether manually built vanilla 2.6.25.x works on your system...

I made it work and the trick was to set CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL=y.

Thanks to Andrew Clayton for the hint.

Rafael

2008-07-03 12:43:54

by Takashi Iwai

At Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:39:59 +0200,
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Monday, 30 of June 2008, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:58:47 +0200,
> > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > I only had /etc/asound-pulse.conf . Removed that, but it didn't change
> > > anything.
> >
> > Then I have no idea... Could you bisect? At least, I'd like to know
> > whether manually built vanilla 2.6.25.x works on your system...
>
> I made it work and the trick was to set CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL=y.

Ah that explains. On SUSE systems, the device files are created on
tmpfs, and the permission to the desktop user is added/removed
dynamically at login/logout via hal-resmgr.

thanks,

Takashi