2008-10-01 21:33:41

by Domenico Andreoli

Subject: Re: Typo bug [Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc8]

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:05:46AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * J.A. Magall?n <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > heh. Could you send a patch with a changelog please?
> >
> > Here it goes...I hope its right.
>
> applied to tip/x86/urgent, thanks!

Ingo, why did you require a patch? Was not it really more simple and
easy for everyone to write it yourself? Since I am sure it was not only
a laziness matter (really?), I am very curious to know the reason.

Thank you,
Domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
--[ http://www.dandreoli.com/gpgkey.asc
---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50

2008-10-02 05:27:55

by Willy Tarreau

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:33:28PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> > > Here it goes...I hope its right.
> >
> > applied to tip/x86/urgent, thanks!
>
> Ingo, why did you require a patch? Was not it really more simple and
> easy for everyone to write it yourself? Since I am sure it was not only
> a laziness matter (really?), I am very curious to know the reason.

I see two things :
- preserve authorship of the code
- "laziness" as you call it, is the only way to scale for a maintainer.

Willy

2008-10-02 09:26:50

by Ingo Molnar

* Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:33:28PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> > > applied to tip/x86/urgent, thanks!
> >
> > Ingo, why did you require a patch? Was not it really more simple and
> > easy for everyone to write it yourself? Since I am sure it was not only
> > a laziness matter (really?), I am very curious to know the reason.
>
> I see two things :
> - preserve authorship of the code
> - "laziness" as you call it, is the only way to scale for a maintainer.

yeah, correct. Also, i asked (not required) J.A. Magall?n whether he
could send a patch - if he didnt (no time, etc.) i'd have fixed it
myself (crediting him in the changelog).

But it's also a general principle: maintainers dont 'own' the code in
any way and there should be no assymetry in the ability to modify the
code. So if people are willing to fix bugs they notice, i prefer that
far more than me doing it.

Ingo

2008-10-02 09:45:32

by Domenico Andreoli

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 11:26:30AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Ingo, why did you require a patch? Was not it really more simple and
> > > easy for everyone to write it yourself? Since I am sure it was not only
> > > a laziness matter (really?), I am very curious to know the reason.
> >
> > I see two things :
> > - preserve authorship of the code
> > - "laziness" as you call it, is the only way to scale for a maintainer.
>
> yeah, correct. Also, i asked (not required) J.A. Magall?n whether he
> could send a patch - if he didnt (no time, etc.) i'd have fixed it
> myself (crediting him in the changelog).

yes, asked. sorry.

> But it's also a general principle: maintainers dont 'own' the code in
> any way and there should be no assymetry in the ability to modify the
> code. So if people are willing to fix bugs they notice, i prefer that
> far more than me doing it.

I think I got the lesson although the assymetry matter is still not that
clear to me. Anyway I also know that when you talk about code you prefer
patches to plain english so I expect you'd like others do the same ;)