2012-05-13 02:02:19

by Chris Jones

Subject: Integrating a new programming language into the kernel

Is it possible to implement a new programming language into the kernel?
And if so, how would I go about doing this?

Regards

Chris Jones

2012-05-14 00:44:07

by H. Peter Anvin

On 05/12/2012 07:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
> Is it possible to implement a new programming language into the kernel?
> And if so, how would I go about doing this?

1. Yes.
2. Don't.

-hpa

2012-05-14 03:58:40

by Chris Jones

I'm curious as to why you suggest "no"?

And if it were to successfully eventuate and I were to do this, it
would only ever be a custom kernel. And that's why I'm curious as to
why you say to not do it.

Regards

Chris Jones

On Sun, 13 May 2012 17:43:31 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 05/12/2012 07:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Is it possible to implement a new programming language into the
> > kernel? And if so, how would I go about doing this?
>
> 1. Yes.
> 2. Don't.
>
> -hpa

2012-05-14 07:41:53

by Greg KH

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:57:31PM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> I'm curious as to why you suggest "no"?
>
> And if it were to successfully eventuate and I were to do this, it
> would only ever be a custom kernel. And that's why I'm curious as to
> why you say to not do it.

Try it and find out why he, and others, recommend not to do so :)

Best of luck,

greg k-h

2012-05-14 07:47:01

by Richard Weinberger

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Chris Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm curious as to why you suggest "no"?

BTW: Before you reinvent the wheel, this idea is not new.
E.g:
http://teaseme.sourceforge.net/

//richard

2012-05-14 08:30:04

by Chris Jones

Thanks, I will. It's all part of the hacking fun!

Cheers

Chris Jones