2016-03-21 22:26:12

by Josh Poimboeuf

Subject: Livepatch consistency model update

Hi all,

Just an update about the proposed consistency model, since several
people have asked.

The objtool stack validation patches have been merged into Linus's tree
for 4.6 with commit 26660a4046b1, and all known warnings are fixed. So
I'll be posting a revamped RFC of the hybrid consistency model patches
soon. The code isn't quite ready, and I'll be on vacation next week, so
it'll probably be either later this week, or the week after next.

I should also have some patches for DWARF validation/generation for
objtool shortly after that (that code is also mostly done).

--
Josh

2016-03-21 22:32:38

by Jiri Kosina

Subject: Re: Livepatch consistency model update

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

> The objtool stack validation patches have been merged into Linus's tree
> for 4.6 with commit 26660a4046b1, and all known warnings are fixed.

Yup, I've noticed earlier today, this is just excellent! (except for the
name, but well, what can we do :-) ). Thanks a lot for all the efforts
you've invested into this.

> So I'll be posting a revamped RFC of the hybrid consistency model
> patches soon. The code isn't quite ready, and I'll be on vacation next
> week, so it'll probably be either later this week, or the week after
> next.

No matter how immature the code might be, it'd be great if you could
repost it still before leaving for your vacation, so that we could start
working on it on our side as well without unnecessary delays.

Thanks again,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

2016-03-21 22:41:55

by Josh Poimboeuf

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 11:32:34PM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:
>
> > The objtool stack validation patches have been merged into Linus's tree
> > for 4.6 with commit 26660a4046b1, and all known warnings are fixed.
>
> Yup, I've noticed earlier today, this is just excellent! (except for the
> name, but well, what can we do :-) ). Thanks a lot for all the efforts
> you've invested into this.

Thanks :-) I was so relieved to see it finally merged!

> > So I'll be posting a revamped RFC of the hybrid consistency model
> > patches soon. The code isn't quite ready, and I'll be on vacation next
> > week, so it'll probably be either later this week, or the week after
> > next.
>
> No matter how immature the code might be, it'd be great if you could
> repost it still before leaving for your vacation, so that we could start
> working on it on our side as well without unnecessary delays.

Sure, I'll dump what I have by the end of the week.

--
Josh

2016-03-22 00:57:36

by Jessica Yu

+++ Josh Poimboeuf [21/03/16 17:26 -0500]:
>Hi all,
>
>Just an update about the proposed consistency model, since several
>people have asked.
>
>The objtool stack validation patches have been merged into Linus's tree
>for 4.6 with commit 26660a4046b1, and all known warnings are fixed. So
>I'll be posting a revamped RFC of the hybrid consistency model patches
>soon.

Awesome work Josh, congrats :-) Looking forward to digging into the
consistency model stuff later!

Jessica