2016-11-01 14:07:06

by Robin van der Gracht

Subject: [char-misc:char-misc-testing] warning

Hi Tobias,

Lately I've submitted patches to Gregs (char-misc) git repo and they got
bounced because the kbuild bot threw a warning:

warning: (PMAC_BACKLIGHT && DRM_NOUVEAU && HT16K33 && FB_TFT) selects
FB_BACKLIGHT which has unmet direct dependencies (HAS_IOMEM && FB)

My patched added a new driver named HT16K33, but..

I believe the warning is the result of a dependency issue made possible by this commit:
https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/char-misc/+/fc497ed8361f34e465f31e9babcb88efe38fe433

The kbuild bots configuration file stated:
CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM=y
CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y
CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT=y
CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT=y
# CONFIG_FB is not set

PMAC_BACKLIGHT, HT16K33 and FB_TFT ware not mentioned in the config file.
I've attached the config file to this email.

FB_BACKLIGHT depends on FB like so:

(drivers/video/fbdev/Kconfig)
config FB_BACKLIGHT
bool
depends on FB

In your commit the 'select FB' is removed from the config DRM_NOUVEAU in
the drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/Kconfig file but DRM_NOUVEAU still selects
FB_BACKLIGHT when using DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT.

Is no one else selects FB, the warning mentioned above is raised.

Would you like to verify this?

Robin van der Gracht
Protonic Holland

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.24 kB)
config.gz (26.10 kB)

by Tobias Jakobi

Subject: Re: [char-misc:char-misc-testing] warning

Hello Robin,

I'm afraid I can't help you with that. The series was done as a request
by Daniel Vetter, see here for reference:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg113011.html

I don't have any nouveau platform here.

With best wishes,
Tobias

Robin van der Gracht wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> Lately I've submitted patches to Gregs (char-misc) git repo and they got
> bounced because the kbuild bot threw a warning:
>
> warning: (PMAC_BACKLIGHT && DRM_NOUVEAU && HT16K33 && FB_TFT) selects
> FB_BACKLIGHT which has unmet direct dependencies (HAS_IOMEM && FB)
>
> My patched added a new driver named HT16K33, but..
>
> I believe the warning is the result of a dependency issue made possible by this commit:
> https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/char-misc/+/fc497ed8361f34e465f31e9babcb88efe38fe433
>
> The kbuild bots configuration file stated:
> CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM=y
> CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y
> CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT=y
> CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT=y
> # CONFIG_FB is not set
>
> PMAC_BACKLIGHT, HT16K33 and FB_TFT ware not mentioned in the config file.
> I've attached the config file to this email.
>
> FB_BACKLIGHT depends on FB like so:
>
> (drivers/video/fbdev/Kconfig)
> config FB_BACKLIGHT
> bool
> depends on FB
>
> In your commit the 'select FB' is removed from the config DRM_NOUVEAU in
> the drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/Kconfig file but DRM_NOUVEAU still selects
> FB_BACKLIGHT when using DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT.
>
> Is no one else selects FB, the warning mentioned above is raised.
>
> Would you like to verify this?
>
> Regards,

2016-11-01 16:02:24

by Robin van der Gracht

Hi Tobias,

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 16:33:03 +0100
Tobias Jakobi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Robin,
>
> I'm afraid I can't help you with that. The series was done as a request
> by Daniel Vetter, see here for reference:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg113011.html
So.. I should contact Daniel Vetter about this..?

> I don't have any nouveau platform here.

Me neither, the warning is shown when invoking Kconfig. So when I use
the config file supplied on my previous email, and start a build or a
menuconfig on my (x86_64) system its showing.

Robin van der Gracht
Protonic Holland

2016-11-01 16:34:12

by Randy Dunlap

On 11/01/16 09:02, Robin van der Gracht wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 16:33:03 +0100
> Tobias Jakobi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Robin,
>>
>> I'm afraid I can't help you with that. The series was done as a request
>> by Daniel Vetter, see here for reference:
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg113011.html
> So.. I should contact Daniel Vetter about this..?
>
>> I don't have any nouveau platform here.
>
> Me neither, the warning is shown when invoking Kconfig. So when I use
> the config file supplied on my previous email, and start a build or a
> menuconfig on my (x86_64) system its showing.

The kconfig warning is in mainline now and it has nothing to do with the
new HT16K33 driver.

How is nouveau supposed to provide backlight support?
It selects FB_BACKLIGHT but FB_BACKLIGHT depends on FB, which is not
enabled in the supplied .config file.

--
~Randy

2016-11-02 07:23:56

by Robin van der Gracht

Hi Randy,

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 09:34:04 -0700
Randy Dunlap <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 11/01/16 09:02, Robin van der Gracht wrote:
> > Hi Tobias,
> >
> > On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 16:33:03 +0100
> > Tobias Jakobi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Robin,
> >>
> >> I'm afraid I can't help you with that. The series was done as a request
> >> by Daniel Vetter, see here for reference:
> >> http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg113011.html
> > So.. I should contact Daniel Vetter about this..?
> >
> >> I don't have any nouveau platform here.
> >
> > Me neither, the warning is shown when invoking Kconfig. So when I use
> > the config file supplied on my previous email, and start a build or a
> > menuconfig on my (x86_64) system its showing.
>

> The kconfig warning is in mainline now and it has nothing to do with the
> new HT16K33 driver.
>
> How is nouveau supposed to provide backlight support?
> It selects FB_BACKLIGHT but FB_BACKLIGHT depends on FB, which is not
> enabled in the supplied .config file.

Yes, exactly!

I think that line should have been removed along with the other FB deps.

Robin van der Gracht
Protonic Holland