2024-04-01 10:40:29

by Vidya Sagar

Subject: [Query] ACS enablement in the DT based boot flow

Hi folks,
ACS (Access Control Services) is configured for a PCI device through pci_enable_acs().
The first thing pci_enable_acs() checks for is whether the global flag 'pci_acs_enable' is set or not.
The global flag 'pci_acs_enable' is set by the function pci_request_acs().

pci_enable_acs() function is called whenever a new PCI device is added to the system

pci_enable_acs+0x4c/0x2a4
pci_acs_init+0x38/0x60
pci_device_add+0x1a0/0x670
pci_scan_single_device+0xc4/0x100
pci_scan_slot+0x6c/0x1e0
pci_scan_child_bus_extend+0x48/0x2e0
pci_scan_root_bus_bridge+0x64/0xf0
pci_host_probe+0x18/0xd0

In the case of a system that boots using device-tree blob, pci_request_acs() is called when the
device driver binds with the respective device

of_iommu_configure+0xf4/0x230
of_dma_configure_id+0x110/0x340
pci_dma_configure+0x54/0x120
really_probe+0x80/0x3e0
__driver_probe_device+0x88/0x1c0
driver_probe_device+0x3c/0x140
__device_attach_driver+0xe8/0x1e0
bus_for_each_drv+0x78/0xf0
__device_attach+0x104/0x1e0
device_attach+0x14/0x30
pci_bus_add_device+0x50/0xd0
pci_bus_add_devices+0x38/0x90
pci_host_probe+0x40/0xd0

Since the device addition always happens first followed by the driver binding, this flow effectively
makes sure that ACS never gets enabled.

Ideally, I would expect the pci_request_acs() get called (probably by the OF framework itself) before
calling pci_enable_acs().

This happens in the ACPI flow where pci_request_acs() is called during IORT node
initialization (i.e. iort_init_platform_devices() function).

Is this understanding correct? If yes, would it make sense to call pci_request_acs() during
OF initialization (similar to IORT initialization in ACPI flow)?

Thanks,
Vidya Sagar

2024-04-10 07:41:23

by Vidya Sagar

Subject: Re: [Query] ACS enablement in the DT based boot flow

Hi folks,
any thoughts on this?

On 01-04-2024 16:10, Vidya Sagar wrote:
> Hi folks,
> ACS (Access Control Services) is configured for a PCI device through pci_enable_acs().
> The first thing pci_enable_acs() checks for is whether the global flag 'pci_acs_enable' is set or not.
> The global flag 'pci_acs_enable' is set by the function pci_request_acs().
>
> pci_enable_acs() function is called whenever a new PCI device is added to the system
>
> pci_enable_acs+0x4c/0x2a4
> pci_acs_init+0x38/0x60
> pci_device_add+0x1a0/0x670
> pci_scan_single_device+0xc4/0x100
> pci_scan_slot+0x6c/0x1e0
> pci_scan_child_bus_extend+0x48/0x2e0
> pci_scan_root_bus_bridge+0x64/0xf0
> pci_host_probe+0x18/0xd0
>
> In the case of a system that boots using device-tree blob, pci_request_acs() is called when the
> device driver binds with the respective device
>
> of_iommu_configure+0xf4/0x230
> of_dma_configure_id+0x110/0x340
> pci_dma_configure+0x54/0x120
> really_probe+0x80/0x3e0
> __driver_probe_device+0x88/0x1c0
> driver_probe_device+0x3c/0x140
> __device_attach_driver+0xe8/0x1e0
> bus_for_each_drv+0x78/0xf0
> __device_attach+0x104/0x1e0
> device_attach+0x14/0x30
> pci_bus_add_device+0x50/0xd0
> pci_bus_add_devices+0x38/0x90
> pci_host_probe+0x40/0xd0
>
> Since the device addition always happens first followed by the driver binding, this flow effectively
> makes sure that ACS never gets enabled.
>
> Ideally, I would expect the pci_request_acs() get called (probably by the OF framework itself) before
> calling pci_enable_acs().
>
> This happens in the ACPI flow where pci_request_acs() is called during IORT node
> initialization (i.e. iort_init_platform_devices() function).
>
> Is this understanding correct? If yes, would it make sense to call pci_request_acs() during
> OF initialization (similar to IORT initialization in ACPI flow)?
>
> Thanks,
> Vidya Sagar

2024-04-10 19:28:49

by Bjorn Helgaas

[+cc Will, Joerg]

On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 10:40:15AM +0000, Vidya Sagar wrote:
> Hi folks,
> ACS (Access Control Services) is configured for a PCI device through
> pci_enable_acs(). The first thing pci_enable_acs() checks for is
> whether the global flag 'pci_acs_enable' is set or not. The global
> flag 'pci_acs_enable' is set by the function pci_request_acs().
>
> pci_enable_acs() function is called whenever a new PCI device is
> added to the system
>
> pci_enable_acs+0x4c/0x2a4
> pci_acs_init+0x38/0x60
> pci_device_add+0x1a0/0x670
> pci_scan_single_device+0xc4/0x100
> pci_scan_slot+0x6c/0x1e0
> pci_scan_child_bus_extend+0x48/0x2e0
> pci_scan_root_bus_bridge+0x64/0xf0
> pci_host_probe+0x18/0xd0
>
> In the case of a system that boots using device-tree blob,
> pci_request_acs() is called when the device driver binds with the
> respective device
>
> of_iommu_configure+0xf4/0x230
> of_dma_configure_id+0x110/0x340
> pci_dma_configure+0x54/0x120
> really_probe+0x80/0x3e0
> __driver_probe_device+0x88/0x1c0
> driver_probe_device+0x3c/0x140
> __device_attach_driver+0xe8/0x1e0
> bus_for_each_drv+0x78/0xf0
> __device_attach+0x104/0x1e0
> device_attach+0x14/0x30
> pci_bus_add_device+0x50/0xd0
> pci_bus_add_devices+0x38/0x90
> pci_host_probe+0x40/0xd0
>
> Since the device addition always happens first followed by the
> driver binding, this flow effectively makes sure that ACS never gets
> enabled.
>
> Ideally, I would expect the pci_request_acs() get called (probably
> by the OF framework itself) before calling pci_enable_acs().
>
> This happens in the ACPI flow where pci_request_acs() is called
> during IORT node initialization (i.e. iort_init_platform_devices()
> function).
>
> Is this understanding correct? If yes, would it make sense to call
> pci_request_acs() during OF initialization (similar to IORT
> initialization in ACPI flow)?

Your understanding looks correct to me. My call graph notes, FWIW:

mem_init
pci_iommu_alloc # x86 only
amd_iommu_detect # init_state = IOMMU_START_STATE
iommu_go_to_state(IOMMU_IVRS_DETECTED)
state_next
switch (init_state)
case IOMMU_START_STATE:
detect_ivrs
pci_request_acs
pci_acs_enable = 1 # <--
detect_intel_iommu
pci_request_acs
pci_acs_enable = 1 # <--

pci_scan_single_device # PCI enumeration
pci_init_capabilities
pci_acs_init
pci_enable_acs
if (pci_acs_enable) # <--
pci_std_enable_acs

__driver_probe_device
really_probe
pci_dma_configure # pci_bus_type.dma_configure
if (OF)
of_dma_configure
of_dma_configure_id
of_iommu_configure
pci_request_acs # <-- 6bf6c24720d3
iommu_probe_device
else if (ACPI)
acpi_dma_configure
acpi_dma_configure_id
acpi_iommu_configure_id
iommu_probe_device

The pci_request_acs() in of_iommu_configure(), which happens too late
to affect pci_enable_acs(), was added by 6bf6c24720d3 ("iommu/of:
Request ACS from the PCI core when configuring IOMMU linkage"), so I
cc'd Will and Joerg. I don't know if that *used* to work and got
broken somehow, or if it never worked as intended.

Bjorn

2024-04-28 07:23:34

by Will Deacon

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 02:28:40PM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> [...]
>
> __driver_probe_device
> really_probe
> pci_dma_configure # pci_bus_type.dma_configure
> if (OF)
> of_dma_configure
> of_dma_configure_id
> of_iommu_configure
> pci_request_acs # <-- 6bf6c24720d3
> iommu_probe_device
> else if (ACPI)
> acpi_dma_configure
> acpi_dma_configure_id
> acpi_iommu_configure_id
> iommu_probe_device
>
> The pci_request_acs() in of_iommu_configure(), which happens too late
> to affect pci_enable_acs(), was added by 6bf6c24720d3 ("iommu/of:
> Request ACS from the PCI core when configuring IOMMU linkage"), so I
> cc'd Will and Joerg. I don't know if that *used* to work and got
> broken somehow, or if it never worked as intended.

I don't have any way to test this, but I'm supportive of having the same
flow for DT and ACPI-based flows. Vidya, are you able to cook a patch?

Will