2002-10-17 22:50:42

by Martin J. Bligh

Subject: Bug tracking in the run up from 2.5 to 2.6

We're proposing to create a bug tracking system to help keep track of
2.5 kernel bugs ... in an attempt to help get 2.5 stabilised as quickly as
possible.

It would be based on Bugzilla, and open for anyone to log bugs against
2.5, though those would then be filtered by a set of "maintainers" to keep
the quality of the data up to snuff. Ideally those would be the subsystem
maintainers as we know them now, though in the event that certain people
weren't interested, we'd find a "bugzilla maintainer" for the subsystem to
fill that role.

IBM's Linux Technology Centre is willing to provide the machine, admin,
and people to help maintain the data in the database. We have someone
who's kindly agreed in principle to host the machine for us (feel free to
speak up if you like, otherwise I'll wait until the proposal is firmed up).

We'll also have a slew of engineers dedicated to stabilise 2.5 after the
freeze, but this is not intended to be solely an IBM thing by any means;
we're volunteering to host the tracking database on behalf of the community,
and do some of the dirty work of administration. The intent is to have this
up and running by Halloween, and for a signification cross-section of the
community to use it.

So ... are the maintainers interested in working with this kind of system?
We really need to get some feedback before commiting resources to doing
this - if you'd be willing to close out bugs as you find / fix them, please let
me know. This is a web interface system, with handy email triggers, and is
very easy to use.

Feedback saying "well, it'll only be useful if you do XYZ" is welcome too.
We're very unlikely to change tools to use something other than Bugzilla
at this point, so that's not really open for debate.

Martin.

2002-10-17 22:56:37

by Timothy D. Witham

Subject: Re: Bug tracking in the run up from 2.5 to 2.6

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 15:52, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> We're proposing to create a bug tracking system to help keep track of
> 2.5 kernel bugs ... in an attempt to help get 2.5 stabilised as quickly as
> possible.
>
> It would be based on Bugzilla, and open for anyone to log bugs against
> 2.5, though those would then be filtered by a set of "maintainers" to keep
> the quality of the data up to snuff. Ideally those would be the subsystem
> maintainers as we know them now, though in the event that certain people
> weren't interested, we'd find a "bugzilla maintainer" for the subsystem to
> fill that role.
>
> IBM's Linux Technology Centre is willing to provide the machine, admin,
> and people to help maintain the data in the database. We have someone
> who's kindly agreed in principle to host the machine for us (feel free to
> speak up if you like, otherwise I'll wait until the proposal is firmed up).

Thanks for asking before you used my name. :-)

But yes OSDL would host it.

Tim

> We'll also have a slew of engineers dedicated to stabilise 2.5 after the
> freeze, but this is not intended to be solely an IBM thing by any means;
> we're volunteering to host the tracking database on behalf of the community,
> and do some of the dirty work of administration. The intent is to have this
> up and running by Halloween, and for a signification cross-section of the
> community to use it.
>
> So ... are the maintainers interested in working with this kind of system?
> We really need to get some feedback before commiting resources to doing
> this - if you'd be willing to close out bugs as you find / fix them, please let
> me know. This is a web interface system, with handy email triggers, and is
> very easy to use.
>
> Feedback saying "well, it'll only be useful if you do XYZ" is welcome too.
> We're very unlikely to change tools to use something other than Bugzilla
> at this point, so that's not really open for debate.

I would like to know this also. :-)

Tim

> Martin.
>
> -
Timothy D. Witham - Lab Director - [email protected]
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
15275 SW Koll Parkway - Suite H - Beaverton OR, 97006
(503)-626-2455 x11 (office) (503)-702-2871 (cell)
(503)-626-2436 (fax)

2002-10-17 23:09:33

by Greg KH

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 03:52:05PM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> So ... are the maintainers interested in working with this kind of system?

If there are people to do the categorizing and "cleaning" of the
reported bugs, I would love to use this. By "cleaning" I mean the
following at the minimum:
- marking bugs as duplicates of existing bugs
- throwing away useless bug reports

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-10-17 23:44:21

by Martin J. Bligh

> If there are people to do the categorizing and "cleaning" of the
> reported bugs, I would love to use this. By "cleaning" I mean the
> following at the minimum:
> - marking bugs as duplicates of existing bugs
> - throwing away useless bug reports

Right, that would be covered. The team that would be doing this
actually has people in various locations round the world (ie
various timezones), and is used to doing this for our internal
Bugzilla database.

M.

2002-10-18 00:04:54

by Martin J. Bligh

>> > If there are people to do the categorizing and "cleaning" of the
>> > reported bugs, I would love to use this. By "cleaning" I mean the
>> > following at the minimum:
>> > - marking bugs as duplicates of existing bugs
>> > - throwing away useless bug reports
>
> Sounds great, how do we handle duplicate work? ie will there be bug
> assignments ?

Obvious duplicates will be filtered out by the general admins.
More subtle type things will probably need to be by the "owners"
of the bugs, ie yes ... we'll have some sort of assingment of bugs.
Ideally I'd like this to just be the subsystem maintainers as we
have them now, but if they don't want to play, we'll find someone
to act as administrative owner for each technical area that has
experience in that field.

Martin.

2002-10-18 00:00:27

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> > If there are people to do the categorizing and "cleaning" of the
> > reported bugs, I would love to use this. By "cleaning" I mean the
> > following at the minimum:
> > - marking bugs as duplicates of existing bugs
> > - throwing away useless bug reports

Sounds great, how do we handle duplicate work? ie will there be bug
assignments ?

Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca

2002-10-18 16:32:52

by mgross

On Thursday 17 October 2002 07:02 pm, Timothy D. Witham wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 15:52, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> >?We're proposing to create a bug tracking system to help keep track of
> >?2.5 kernel bugs ... in an attempt to help get 2.5 stabilised as quickly
> > as possible.
> >?

Defect tracking works best when used over a significant portion of the
product life cycle. In this case this bug data base will be of more use and
value to 2.6 than anything else. You'll need to be patient and persistant. I
think something good has a chance of coming out of this.

Prioritizing bugs and bug fix activities is a political and user / market
driven activity. It'll be interesting to watch this shake out. I wish you
all the best of luck.

Defect tracking and fixing is a "push" activity. The owners of
the bug data base and "the product" along with input from key stake holders,
dictate the priority and owners of issues (pushes the responsibility onto an
owner). The owners then go and make fixes. This tends to be effective in
hierarchical organizations.

The Linux development model is more of a pull model. Someone finds a bug
takes it upon them selves to fix it (pulls the responsibility onto
themselves), and then attempts to get the fix accepted. If bugs in some
areas sit around too long it becomes an opportunity for someone new to step
up.

Perhaps if you set up the bug queries as a type of advertisement of the "most
wanted bugs" that aren't getting attention could proved a nice place
for folks to look if they are interested in getting involved / helping out.
It could also become a type of "wall of shame". You'll need to be carefull
to keep things positive.

--mgross

2002-10-19 12:42:27

by Adrian Bunk

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> We really need to get some feedback before commiting resources to doing
> this - if you'd be willing to close out bugs as you find / fix them, please let
> me know. This is a web interface system, with handy email triggers, and is
> very easy to use.
>
> Feedback saying "well, it'll only be useful if you do XYZ" is welcome too.
> We're very unlikely to change tools to use something other than Bugzilla
> at this point, so that's not really open for debate.

First of all thanks for this, it sounds like a pretty good idea. :-)

Some comments/questions:

1. Related projects

1a Some time ago Dave Jones did something similar [1] and currently
Thomas Molina maintains a bug tracking page [2]. These were/are both
projects where one person did/does collect bug reports from
linux-kernel by hand but roughly spoken it's the same thing you want to
start (modulo the additional manpower you can provide). You should
at least ask them for their experiences and use Thomas' collection
as input for your bug tracking system.

1b The Trivial Patch Monkey [3] by Rusty Russell is not very related
but it would be good if there was enough communication that it's noted
in the bug tracking system whenever a bug is already fixed by a patch
submitted to the Trivial Patch Monkey.

2. What is the suggested workflow?

Let's say I want to report a "xyz doesn't compile in 2.5.44" bug.

Currently I'm sending it to the people that seem to be responsible
(looking at MAINTAINERS and the contents of the file that doesn't
compile) with a Cc to linux-kernel.

With a Web-based bug tracking system like Bugzilla it's additional work
to add a bug to the bug tracking system, too, and to keep the
information that is there updated (e.g. if the maintainer sends a patch
a few hours later).

What is the suggested workflow to avoid additional work?

> Martin.

cu
Adrian

[1] http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/Linux-2.5.html
[2] http://members.cox.net/tmolina/kernprobs/status.html
[3] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/trivial/

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2002-10-20 15:29:01

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Em Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:15:01PM -0700, Greg KH escreveu:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 03:52:05PM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> >
> > So ... are the maintainers interested in working with this kind of system?
>
> If there are people to do the categorizing and "cleaning" of the
> reported bugs, I would love to use this. By "cleaning" I mean the
> following at the minimum:
> - marking bugs as duplicates of existing bugs
> - throwing away useless bug reports

/me too :-)

- Arnaldo

2002-10-20 15:19:27

by Martin J. Bligh

> 1. Related projects
>
> 1a Some time ago Dave Jones did something similar [1] and currently
> Thomas Molina maintains a bug tracking page [2]. These were/are both
> projects where one person did/does collect bug reports from
> linux-kernel by hand but roughly spoken it's the same thing you want to
> start (modulo the additional manpower you can provide). You should
> at least ask them for their experiences and use Thomas' collection
> as input for your bug tracking system.

I talked to Thomas already, hadn't seen Davej's list, thanks for that.
I guess the main difference with an full bug tracking system rather
than a web page or text email is that it's easier to distribute the
workload around. I think this is too much for any one person to maintain,
hence the problem with these things getting out of date.

> 1b The Trivial Patch Monkey [3] by Rusty Russell is not very related
> but it would be good if there was enough communication that it's noted
> in the bug tracking system whenever a bug is already fixed by a patch
> submitted to the Trivial Patch Monkey.

Right, some sort of linkage would be needed with both this and the
main Linus tree for checkins - I think the latter is actually a more
major concern ... bugs should be closed when they're (confirmed) fixed
in the mail tree.

> 2. What is the suggested workflow?
>
> Let's say I want to report a "xyz doesn't compile in 2.5.44" bug.
>
> Currently I'm sending it to the people that seem to be responsible
> (looking at MAINTAINERS and the contents of the file that doesn't
> compile) with a Cc to linux-kernel.
>
> With a Web-based bug tracking system like Bugzilla it's additional work
> to add a bug to the bug tracking system, too, and to keep the
> information that is there updated (e.g. if the maintainer sends a patch
> a few hours later).
>
> What is the suggested workflow to avoid additional work?

Systems like this will normally involve a little additional overhead,
but I think the payback is worthwhile. Bugzilla has email triggers,
so it would be easy to set up bugs filed against any particular
category to be automatically emailed to the maintainer(s) for that
category. The bug could then be sanity checked, and sent to lkml.
Or something like that ;-)

M.