2013-09-11 02:26:13

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: RIP - dead harddisk..

The timing absolutely sucks, but it looks like the SSD in my main
workstation just died on me.

I had pushed out _most_ of my pulls today, so realistically I didn't
lose a lot of work. However, any people having outstanding pull
requests or patches that they expected me to merge that are not in the
current tree on git.kernel.org, you may want to re-send the email,
because I had archived emails as I merged them, and I may not have
found all the ones that never made it out.. I know a few involved,
but....

That said, wait until tomorrow. I'll try to see if I can recover the
disk, but right now my machine refuses to even see the boot sector on
it, and tries to boot from the network instead. So I'm not all that
hopeful.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just do the last next days of the merge
window on the laptop that I was planning on finishing it off with
anyway, since I have travel coming up. At least this didn't happen at
the very beginning of the merge window...

Linus

2013-09-11 02:50:28

by John Stoffel

Subject: Re: RIP - dead harddisk..

Linus> The timing absolutely sucks, but it looks like the SSD in my
Linus> main workstation just died on me.

What model, if you care to share? I figure you'r a perfect storm of
SSD beating with all your compiles and git pulls, etc.

And may I suggest that you get TWO of them next time and mirror them,
for just this case? The SysAdmin in my shouting out here...

John

2013-09-11 03:00:31

by Linus Torvalds

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM, John Stoffel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Linus> The timing absolutely sucks, but it looks like the SSD in my
> Linus> main workstation just died on me.
>
> What model, if you care to share? I figure you'r a perfect storm of
> SSD beating with all your compiles and git pulls, etc.

So I don't want to necessarily blame the harddisk, since it's just ten
days since I upgraded the rest of my machine, after it worked years in
the previous one. That just makes me go "hmm". As far as I know, all
the fans etc were working fine, but..

> And may I suggest that you get TWO of them next time and mirror them,
> for just this case? The SysAdmin in my shouting out here...

I long ago gave up on doing backups. I have actively moved to a model
where I use replacable machines instead. I've got the stuff I care
about generally on a couple of different machines, and then keys etc
backed up on a separate encrypted USB key.

So it's inconvenient. Mainly from a timing standpoint. But nothing more.

Linus

2013-09-11 03:02:20

by H. Peter Anvin

On 09/10/2013 08:00 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM, John Stoffel <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Linus> The timing absolutely sucks, but it looks like the SSD in my
>> Linus> main workstation just died on me.
>>
>> What model, if you care to share? I figure you'r a perfect storm of
>> SSD beating with all your compiles and git pulls, etc.
>
> So I don't want to necessarily blame the harddisk, since it's just ten
> days since I upgraded the rest of my machine, after it worked years in
> the previous one. That just makes me go "hmm". As far as I know, all
> the fans etc were working fine, but..
>
>> And may I suggest that you get TWO of them next time and mirror them,
>> for just this case? The SysAdmin in my shouting out here...
>
> I long ago gave up on doing backups. I have actively moved to a model
> where I use replacable machines instead. I've got the stuff I care
> about generally on a couple of different machines, and then keys etc
> backed up on a separate encrypted USB key.
>
> So it's inconvenient. Mainly from a timing standpoint. But nothing more.

I won't get any stationary machines without mirrored drives anymore.
Storage just isn't reliable enough.

-hpa

2013-09-11 13:45:51

by John Stoffel

H> On 09/10/2013 08:00 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM, John Stoffel <[email protected]> wrote:

Linus> The timing absolutely sucks, but it looks like the SSD in my
Linus> main workstation just died on me.

>>> What model, if you care to share? I figure you'r a perfect storm of
>>> SSD beating with all your compiles and git pulls, etc.
>>
>> So I don't want to necessarily blame the harddisk, since it's just ten
>> days since I upgraded the rest of my machine, after it worked years in
>> the previous one. That just makes me go "hmm". As far as I know, all
>> the fans etc were working fine, but..
>>
>>> And may I suggest that you get TWO of them next time and mirror them,
>>> for just this case? The SysAdmin in my shouting out here...
>>
>> I long ago gave up on doing backups. I have actively moved to a model
>> where I use replacable machines instead. I've got the stuff I care
>> about generally on a couple of different machines, and then keys etc
>> backed up on a separate encrypted USB key.
>>
>> So it's inconvenient. Mainly from a timing standpoint. But nothing more.
>>

H> I won't get any stationary machines without mirrored drives anymore.
H> Storage just isn't reliable enough.

And I won't trust a single USB thumb drive to hold my most important
stuff. And how do you hold onto family pictures and such? It's
amazing how much crap can accumulate, but also how important it can be
to have good backups that are remote. If the house burns down, don't
matter how many machines the stuff is spread across if it's not local.

John