2001-11-19 13:46:16

by PVotruba

Subject: RE: Maximum (efficient) partition sizes for various filesystem ty pes...

Hmm it looks like that Debians want's to avoid user impatience during
excessive e2fsck job at startup. But technically, one can hardly expect
problems - if there were any, they surely appeared already in this list :)

Compared to *some* other OSes, linux makes fs checking after certain number
of rw mounts. When thinks like that happen, some less enlightened users tend
to be "derailed", because they don't expect that. :)

Regards,
Petr

> -----P?vodn? zpr?va-----
> Od: Joel Beach [SMTP:[email protected]]
> Odesl?no: 19. listopadu 2001 11:23
> Komu: [email protected]
> P?edm?t: Re: Maximum (efficient) partition sizes for various
> filesystem types...
>
> I think I'll fix up that bit in the Debian manual myself then if they let
> me....
>
> For what it's worth, here's the paragraph from the "Woody" installation
> manual:
>
> "For new users, personal Debian boxes, home systems, and other single-user
> setups, a single / partition (plus swap) is probably the easiest, simplest
> way to go. It is possible to have problems with this idea, though, with
> larger (20GB) disks. Based on limitations in how ext2 works, avoid any
> single partition greater than 6GB or so."
>
> Joel

by Stephen C. Tweedie

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:02:57PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Hmm it looks like that Debians want's to avoid user impatience during
> excessive e2fsck job at startup. But technically, one can hardly expect
> problems - if there were any, they surely appeared already in this list :)
>
> Compared to *some* other OSes, linux makes fs checking after certain number
> of rw mounts. When thinks like that happen, some less enlightened users tend
> to be "derailed", because they don't expect that. :)

It's configurable: "man tune2fs".

Cheers,
Stephen