2001-02-28 00:21:00

by Manfred H. Winter

Subject: [2.4.2-ac5] X (4.0.1) crashes

Hi!

Yesterday I've upgraded my 2.4.2 kernel to ac5, because loop-device
seems not to work in plain 2.4.2. But now my X-server crashes.

When I start with startx, X comes up, gnome starts, sawfish starts. Then
the system freezes. Even SysRQ-keys don't work.

I use XFree86 4.0.1 with nvidia-drivers 0.96.

I can't find anything about the crash in the logs, even the output from
X doesn't get written to disk.

Is this a known problem?

I'm going back to vanilla 2.4.2 for now. Is there another way to get
loop to work?

Bye,

Manfred
--
/"\ | PGP-Key available at Public Key Servers
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | or at "http://www.mahowi.de/"

2001-02-28 00:27:11

by J Sloan

Subject: Re: [2.4.2-ac5] X (4.0.1) crashes

"Manfred H. Winter" wrote:

> I'm going back to vanilla 2.4.2 for now. Is there another way to get
> loop to work?

Working fine here:

2.4.2 + Axboe's loop patch + Morton's low latency patch

jjs

2001-02-28 00:29:31

by Alan

> I use XFree86 4.0.1 with nvidia-drivers 0.96.

Take it up with nvidia. Obfuscated effectively binary only code isnt anyone
elses problem

2001-02-28 05:18:21

by Erik DeBill

I'm having no problems with 2.4.2-ac6, using XFree86 4.0.2 and the
included nv (nvidia) driver. Works great with my geForce2 GTS,
without any binary only drivers. 4.0.2 seemed to have improved
support for nvidia chips.

If it's any help, I'm also using the rivafb for console (although not
for X).

Erik

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 03:08:30PM +0100, Manfred H. Winter wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yesterday I've upgraded my 2.4.2 kernel to ac5, because loop-device
> seems not to work in plain 2.4.2. But now my X-server crashes.
>
> When I start with startx, X comes up, gnome starts, sawfish starts. Then
> the system freezes. Even SysRQ-keys don't work.
>
> I use XFree86 4.0.1 with nvidia-drivers 0.96.
>
> I can't find anything about the crash in the logs, even the output from
> X doesn't get written to disk.
>
> Is this a known problem?
>
> I'm going back to vanilla 2.4.2 for now. Is there another way to get
> loop to work?
>
> Bye,
>
> Manfred
> --
> /"\ | PGP-Key available at Public Key Servers
> \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | or at "http://www.mahowi.de/"
> X against HTML mail | RSA: 0xC05BC0F5 * DSS: 0x4613B5CA
> / \ and postings | GPG: 0x88BC3576 * ICQ: 61597169
> -

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > I use XFree86 4.0.1 with nvidia-drivers 0.96.
>
> Take it up with nvidia. Obfuscated effectively binary only code isnt anyone
> elses problem

Is it legal, BTW? Obfuscated drivers should _not_ be linked into
kernel, because they are not "form preferable for editing".

<GPL>
The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source
</GPL>

So nvidia drivers *are* binary only, as far as GPL is concerned. They
should never be linked into kernel.

[Or, someone should get kernel with nvidia drivers compiled in from
nvidia, and then ask them for sources :-)]
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2001-03-02 12:30:40

by David Balazic

Pavel Machek wrote :

> Hi!
>
> > > I use XFree86 4.0.1 with nvidia-drivers 0.96.
> >
> > Take it up with nvidia. Obfuscated effectively binary only code isnt anyone
> > elses problem

It is not only "effectively binary" but "actually binary".
There are no sources, only a few line of C "glue" code.

Maybe you are confusing it with the XFree86 nv drivers from xfree86.org ?
These are the nVidia drivers from nvidia.com

--
David Balazic