2001-11-26 15:04:11

by Justin Piszcz

Subject: PPC Question

I don't mind trying to compile release kernels on a PPC box, however
when I send a bug report to LKML, everyone shoots it down and tells me
to use someone else's source tree.

If people do not care about PPC in the kernel, should it be included in
the source, or should I just forget about trying to use the 'stock'
kernel and use someone else's PPC source tree (which are usually a few
versions behind) in order to compile the kernel?

2001-11-26 15:23:02

by Tom Rini

Subject: Re: PPC Question

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:03:16AM -0500, war wrote:

> I don't mind trying to compile release kernels on a PPC box, however
> when I send a bug report to LKML, everyone shoots it down and tells me
> to use someone else's source tree.

...just like every other arch, except x86.

> If people do not care about PPC in the kernel, should it be included in
> the source, or should I just forget about trying to use the 'stock'
> kernel and use someone else's PPC source tree (which are usually a few
> versions behind) in order to compile the kernel?

No, you should use the PPC community trees which all of the PPC
maintainers use and is at worst a day behind kernel.org (But usually
just a few hours...).

http://penguinppc.org/dev/kernel.shtml

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)